Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Titanium X Focus Start button - how do you start car?

mberry77

Hi. Ever since I've had the car I've had to put the my foot on clutch and brake (whilst pressing start button) to start the car.  Anyway, then today I had trouble starting the car and realised it would only start when I put my foot on the brake only whilst pressing start.

Also, I no longer get the park assist malfunction message when car starts now and parking sensors work ok. I went and cleared fault codes and car needed clutch and brake pressed for first start, then after just foot on brake will do it 

I've had lots of electrical problems with the car and changed lots of sensors lately.  

Any idea why I'm having such issues and what is the correct method to start it?

It's just the clutch that is required to be pressed for the engine to start it's a safety feature for incase its in gear. 

• Like 1

I thought it should have been the clutch. Now mine is the brake!  Also I noticed my interior lights work now and didn't before.

Its all a bit odd.

It sounds very much to me that someone has been in to the module settings with something like Forscan and made a few changes.

Manual cars only need the Clutch pedal full depressed and nothing more.

Automatic cars have to have the Brake pedal pressed.

Seems you have a few settings screwed up in the software. May be you need to try and clone the setting off an identical car?

Check battery condition first, you can't adjust/adapt starting procedure with forscan. Manual is clutch depressed, auto is brake pedal.

If it doesn't get a good response from the clutch switch, it will need a brake press as well - from previous threads we know your PCM isn't receiving clutch switch signals for some reason.

If you're using Forscan, you should be able to check both clutch switch position sensors through live data. 

• Like 1

I did wonder, but now its just brake only, but now parking sensors and interior lights are now all working again.  

I will check Forscan later and see what's going on.  I will have to see about getting a licence as i've it before on another car so I guess the trial has long expired.

• Like 1

No licence needed for live data on PC.  It's just things like key programming that require one.  I'm not sure about the phone app though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

No licence needed for live data on PC.  It's just things like key programming that require one.  I'm not sure about the phone app though.

That's good. I will certainly give that a go.  Will report back tomorrow.

The upper and lower clutch sensors reported as 'no' on Forscan. 

Also when I was sat in the car the headlights would not turn off even in the off position, also car wouldn't lock.

I think you need to check out the connector to the BCM. Is water getting in ? is the plug not fully in ? You haved so many random faults it points to poor connections.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, unofix said:

I think you need to check out the connector to the BCM. Is water getting in ? is the plug not fully in ? You haved so many random faults it points to poor connections.

I agree, does sound like a bcm issue going on. 

good suggestion and thanks, I will check that out, is that the fuse box thing under the glove compartment?

If it needs replacing can I swap it out for a used one of eBay?

Hi, the BCM = Body Control Module. Putting it simply it is a mini computer which controls just about everything in the car not is not related to the engine (thats the EMC = Engine Management Control).

You can't just swap out the BCM as it needs to be programmed up to your particular vehicle, not something to tackel unless you know what your doing.

Just start by checking around it for water, loose connections, corrosion of the connector pins and see what you can find.

• Like 1

You can fit a used BCM but make sure the part number is the same, if the last letter of the part number is higher that's OK but not lower.

You will need to use Forscan to save your configuration settings (Asbuilt) from your current BCM which you then load onto the replacement BCM once fitted.

Then you will need to programme the remote buttons on your keys

hi. I pulled out the BCM and it looks perfect, I cannot see any imperfections on it or on the cables/connectors.

I've put the car on autotrader, £3600 if you want it!  I put the cruise control and parking sensor faults in the listing.

I've noticed in the receipts in owners pack it had the clutch replaced a couple of years back sourced from Euro Carparts.  I've read about if the master cylinder was replaced with non stop start version this can cause things not to work.  I can't see this was replaced but the slave cylinder was, could wrong part here cause issues?  I also notice under the right side suspension there is a cable disconnected (no DTC) but cannot see where it goes. Could this be anything causing cruise control and stop/start not to work?

Hi Matthew, have you ever played "Wack a Mole" ? You keep jumping about from one problem to the next. Take a step back and a deep breath, now make a full and complete list of what it is that is wrong. Is it lights, the clutch, the start/stop, the door locks ? It is impossible to offer any meaning full help with out proper information.

3 hours ago, mberry77 said:

I also notice under the right side suspension there is a cable disconnected (no DTC) but cannot see where it goes. Could this be anything causing cruise control and stop/start not to work?

That definitely needs further investigation...  Might even be an ABS cable!  Can you get a picture of it?

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Hi Matthew, have you ever played "Wack a Mole" ? You keep jumping about from one problem to the next. Take a step back and a deep breath, now make a full and complete list of what it is that is wrong. Is it lights, the clutch, the start/stop, the door locks ? It is impossible to offer any meaning full help with out proper information.

We are talking the stop/ start here which is same issue as cruise control not working . Other electrical gremlins can be saved for later. 

20 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That definitely needs further investigation...  Might even be an ABS cable!  Can you get a picture of it?

My thoughts were an abs cable. Can that affect stop/start and cruise control?  Will get a picture.  Possible electrical gremlins with it getting wet perhaps. 

Just now, mberry77 said:

My thoughts were an abs cable. Can that affect stop/start and cruise control?  Will get a picture

Yes absolutely.  The ABS is used for speed inputs on both of those systems. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes absolutely.  The ABS is used for speed inputs on both of those systems. 

Super, I will go down that route then and see where this cable goes.  I have no ABS light active or DTC for that.

• 4 weeks later...

The issue is all sorted. I read on another post about when the wrong clutch master cylinder was fitted it can cause lots of problems.  I noticed I had an after market part fitted which is for a mk2 Focus.  

It was a pig of a job but sorted and clutch now starts car, I also have a gear selector indicator on dash and hill assist working too. Unfortunately the top clutch switch snapped off so I need to replace that. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club