Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 focus 1.0 125 Engine rattle

Connorfinn

Hi guys

My 2018 MK4 focus 1.0 125 has developed a loud engine rattle/tapping at idle, it almost sounds like an old diesel engine 

The strange thing is that it completely goes once the clutch is fully pressed down

Anyone else had this issue or knows what the problem could be? 

Thanks, 

could be the duel mass fly wheel gone if its got one

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

Thanks for your advice, ive booked it into the local peoples for them to have a look lool at it with it still being under warranrt, wil update this thread once i know more 😊

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

Thanks for your advice, ive booked it into the local peoples for them to have a look lool at it with it still being under warranrt, wil update this thread once i know more 😊

3 hours ago, dezwez said:

The 1.0 ECOboost in the Focus MK4 does not have a dual mass flywheel.

The Focus MK4 1.0 ECOboost has the MX65 gearbox combined with a solid flywheel. The MX65 gearbox is a modular design that includes both 5-speed and 6-speed versions. The Focus MK4 1.0 ECOboost has the strongest available version of the MX65 gearbox that can handle a maximum torque of 215 Nm. The MX65 gearbox was developed primarily to reduce costs even further the MX65 gearboxes are combined with solid flywheels. The MX65 gearboxes replace both the old IB5 gearbox and the B6 gearboxes on lower powered engine types.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

Managed to get the ford mechanic to hear the noise after 2 trips at the dealer

The car is booked in to the garage in 2 weeks time for a gearbox replacement at 14,000 miles

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

just jumping on the thread with a noise problem, my 2019 active x engine is sounding loud, i know the 3 cylinders are thrummy but our seems loud and a definate konocking at tickover can be heard from inside the cabin..it just done 14k miles

1 hour ago, steve67 said:

just jumping on the thread with a noise problem, my 2019 active x engine is sounding loud, i know the 3 cylinders are thrummy but our seems loud and a definate konocking at tickover can be heard from inside the cabin..it just done 14k miles

Can you hear it from outside the cabin? My noise was louder on the left hand side which helped them diagnose it as a gearbox fault

Is it a constant noise or can you make it go away by putting the car ij gear / pressing the clutch 

tbh it sounds like it running on 2 cylinder let alone 3, very thrun=mmy and a knocking at tick over..i will listern more closely later this morning

58 minutes ago, steve67 said:

tbh it sounds like it running on 2 cylinder let alone 3, very thrun=mmy and a knocking at tick over..i will listern more closely later this morning

Thats completely normal if it sounds like its on 2 cylinders, these new fords have cylinder de activation technology to try save fuel

58 minutes ago, steve67 said:

Thats completely normal if it sounds like its on 2 cylinders, these new fords have cylinder de activation technology to try save fuel

27 minutes ago, Connorfinn said:

..mmm, i have it booked in at ford , just to make sure all is ok. just seems louder than i remember with a definate knocking on tickover,

as i dont drive this car very much.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Finally got my car back from ford

They ended up replacing the clutch and flywheel as the clutch bearing had about half an inch of play

Hope this helps anyone else 😊

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Connorfinn said:

Hi guys

Finally got my car back from ford

They ended up replacing the clutch and flywheel as the clutch bearing had about half an inch of play

Hope this helps anyone else 😊

good news there 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,I have a 16K miles 140 ST line Fiesta on a 68 plate....sounds like a bag of spanners at gearbox end and we've only done 800 miles since buying it at Christmas!

There seems to be a common element here and I've had Fords for the last thirty years....they all used to grumble but never heard this except when there on the way out.

Its booked in soon for checking but as an engineer of many years it certainly sounds fatal!

On 3/27/2021 at 11:38 AM, steve67 said:

..mmm, i have it booked in at ford , just to make sure all is ok. just seems louder than i remember with a definate knocking on tickover,

as i dont drive this car very much.

The report back from my main dealer was .. all ok just the normal sound ...but still definitely louder than my son's fiesta...I may get a second opinion from a nother dealer.. as the dashcam showed that the ford chap never lifted the bonnet..

On 4/28/2021 at 9:29 PM, steve67 said:

The report back from my main dealer was .. all ok just the normal sound ...but still definitely louder than my son's fiesta...I may get a second opinion from a nother dealer.. as the dashcam showed that the ford chap never lifted the bonnet..

Thats the problem with the dealers if it doesnt immediately show the fault they will keep it on their yard for the day and say no fault found

Despite telling them 4 times the rattle only occured on mine after a 10 15 min motorway drive they never ever drove it

In the end i took it on a drive and had it doing the knocking noise by the time i got it to the service dealership and refused to leave until someone confirmed it shouldnt sound that way, 3 days later they replaced my clutch and it has been fine since 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:24 PM, steveblock said:

Hi guys,I have a 16K miles 140 ST line Fiesta on a 68 plate....sounds like a bag of spanners at gearbox end and we've only done 800 miles since buying it at Christmas!

There seems to be a common element here and I've had Fords for the last thirty years....they all used to grumble but never heard this except when there on the way out.

Its booked in soon for checking but as an engineer of many years it certainly sounds fatal!

Seems you have a bit of experience with this kind of issue, is there a certain procedure you must follow for it to start making the noise? Mine had to be either driven for a long time to allow the engine and gearbox to be warm or a short motorway drive

The reason i ask is the mechanic will only drive it around the block and if they cant hear it on a 1 mile drive they will no fault it so if the problem is all the time then youll be fine but if its intermittent then the dealership will do everything to not pay for the repair

Hi, I have been experiencing the same noise from the clutch. But my car developed so many noises since 2018. It now has 14.5k miles. When I am driving, shifted in 3rd (or 2nd, 4th) and not accelerating and letting the car go by itself, it sounds like there is a bike next to the window, like the sound of the bicycle freewheel, when I shift to neutral or press the clutch it disappears...but whenever I went to my local dealership I have always been told, that it is a normal sound of a car and I have to get used to it, both noise from the clutch and the “freewheel” noise.. anyone experiencing the same noises?

8 hours ago, MarisCzech said:

Hi, I have been experiencing the same noise from the clutch. But my car developed so many noises since 2018. It now has 14.5k miles. When I am driving, shifted in 3rd (or 2nd, 4th) and not accelerating and letting the car go by itself, it sounds like there is a bike next to the window, like the sound of the bicycle freewheel, when I shift to neutral or press the clutch it disappears...but whenever I went to my local dealership I have always been told, that it is a normal sound of a car and I have to get used to it, both noise from the clutch and the “freewheel” noise.. anyone experiencing the same noises?

Funnily enough mine sounds exactly the same, i think its more to do with the engine revs rather than the clutch / gearbox, is it only when your engine breaking im guessing? 

Yes exactly, only when the engine is breaking.. sounds awful to be honest, especially when I press the clutch to make the sound go away. Do you think, that the sound is really normal? Typical characteristic of the engine, like local Ford dealer likes to say. Still I will visit local dealer, clutch pedal is wierd, not smoothly returning to its position. Also when I drove on the highway, accelerating on 4th gear, revs strangely paused for about 1s on 4K and 5,5k revs. Like slipping clutch by my opinion. Are you experiencing any sound diference of the engine when idling on parking lot and pressing clutch? 

29 minutes ago, MarisCzech said:

Yes exactly, only when the engine is breaking.. sounds awful to be honest, especially when I press the clutch to make the sound go away. Do you think, that the sound is really normal? Typical characteristic of the engine, like local Ford dealer likes to say. Still I will visit local dealer, clutch pedal is wierd, not smoothly returning to its position. Also when I drove on the highway, accelerating on 4th gear, revs strangely paused for about 1s on 4K and 5,5k revs. Like slipping clutch by my opinion. Are you experiencing any sound diference of the engine when idling on parking lot and pressing clutch? 

Mine accelerates normally and smoothly so i dont have the slight pause you mentioned, i will listen out for the noises when parking 😊

This happened only once, let me know about the clutch-engine noise. Thanks man! I will try to record a brief video of it, but i am not sure if it will be possible to hear from the video...

On 5/4/2021 at 7:46 PM, Connorfinn said:

Mine accelerates normally and smoothly so i dont have the slight pause you mentioned, i will listen out for the noises when parking 😊

Hi! I have managed to record the clutch noise after aprox.city 12miles. I can hear it, it is more pronounced to the end of the video.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club