Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Ford C-Max Key Reprogram

jlparsons

I have a 2012 ford C-Max and both the key batteries went at roughly the same time.  I've changed them both before and had no problems, but this time regardless of which battery I use the remote buttons won't work.  The keys still work when inserted into the plastic recess under the blanking plate on the steering column (where a 'normal' key would be found).  I've searched the user manual which shows how to reprogram a key which has a fold-out blade and can be inserted into the car, but these are the type that the car senses and allows you to drive with the key in your pocket (but you have to click the buttons remotely to open and lock the car).  Picture for clarity.  For this type I've drawn a blank on how to reprogram the remote buttons, both in the manual and on the intertubes generally!  Anyone have any ideas?

Ford-Focus-Key-Fob-2019-300x280.jpg

This little YouTube video is for the 2011 C-Max it should work for your 2012 model

Thank you, this looks an identical model but doesn't work sadly.  I can put the key in the slot and turn on and off four times but no confirmation sound.  If the key is not in the slot it won't turn on and off at all of course as it can't detect it.  Looks like it's time to call ford!

Hi jiparsons, I'm a little confused. Does your car have a "Start" button or does it have a good old fashioned traditional ignition switch ?

The picture that you posted is of a keyfob that does not have a metal key, but then you say:-

17 minutes ago, jlparsons said:

I can put the key in the slot and turn on and off four times but no confirmation sound.  If the key is not in the slot it won't turn on and off at all of course as it can't detect it.

23 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi jiparsons, I'm a little confused. Does your car have a "Start" button or does it have a good old fashioned traditional ignition switch ?

The picture that you posted is of a keyfob that does not have a metal key, but then you say:-

These keyfobs have the metal key located inside of them. 

Screenshot_20210321_132100.thumb.jpg.e18f6ae2095ba7abe5a40f5736f39770.jpg

Thanks Focue, I wasn't sure if he had an actual key. I still would have expected the fob to be re-learnt by the car using the "Start" button and not by using a metal key. Trouble is that there are so many diffrent ways depending on vehicle model, and age, and even spec.

The fob has a metal key inside which can be extracted but this is purely used to open the door lock to get into the car if the radio remote or car battery are dead.  There is then a plastic opening in the steering column (as in the video) in which you can place the whole fob to start the car even if the key is completely dead (this still works).  Hence I can do exactly as instructed in the video, just it doesn't do anything!  😬

8 hours ago, unofix said:

It has a start button and no place to put the key blade inside the car, but it does have the socket underneath a plastic cover on teh steering column in which you can put the whole key fob to start the car even if the fob is dead.

OH !!! So you actually seem to have two problems. (1) The buttons don't work (2) The keyfob has to be in the slot for the car to read it.

I assume that when all was well you just had the key in your pocket and car would detect it and then you could just press start.

The buttons not working is a secondary problem. The real worry is the car is not seeing the key. Try taking the battery out of the keyfob and use a paperclip or something to short out the battery terminals in the keyfob for 10 seconds. Then put a known good battery back in the fob. Don't bother trying to use the buttons (They still won't work) but try getting in the car and just have the keyfob in your pocket. Will the ignition turn on if you press the button ?

If still no then I do think it is probably a trip to your main dealer

17 hours ago, jlparsons said:

There is then a plastic opening in the steering column (as in the video) in which you can place the whole fob to start the car even if the key is completely dead (this still works)

I think this is because the immobiliser system uses a passive chip in the fob as an emergency measure if the remote key sensing fails. The passive chip takes its power from the sensing coil in the steering shroud so it will work even if there's no battery in the fob. This is the same system as used in immobilisers for cars with conventional key ignition.

According to the video the programming procedure is carried out without the fob inserted into the shroud slot.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve lost my key and got my spare , it won’t work unless I open the car with the key blade from inside the key fob and put the fob in the ignition hole on the collum , changed the battery and followed the video , still can’t get the Central locking to work and the car was say no key in the car when I was driving. Anyone know how to help me please ? 

Did you use a 'Good Quality' CR2032 battery, and is it brand new? Most problems with the keyfobs is caused by poor quality batteries or the battery not making a good contact.

If you can start the engine and drive the car then the PATS transponder chip is correct and the car is reading it ok, so it's only a problem with the remote.

You can reprogramme them in to the car using FORScan software which is free to down load.

OMG 🙃 just opened it back up to double check the guy in the motor factors put the correct battery in as he changed it , and he’s only put it in upside down , 😂 thanks anyway guys all working fine now 

• Like 1