Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible vacuum problem 1.0 ecoboost

Nicomt

Hello everyone, I'm here cause I'm in really need of help. I have a 2016 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost which I have modded with some performance and exterior parts also, but some months ago I'm dealing with an annoying and strange sound coming from the turbo.

The thing is, when I press the brake pedal, the turbo's wastegate starts to rattling so bad and after some seconds it stops, doesn't matter how many times you press the brake pedal it will keep rattling everytime you press it.

I have taken the car to Ford and they told me it could be a faulty vacuum pump, so I got another one, installed it (really easy about 10 min job) and the same, keeps doing that annoying sound. After that I said well, maybe is a turbo problem for some reason so I got another turbo, installed it and again again same thing, nothing changed. 

Back again with to Ford and this time they told me it could be the vacuum line from the vacuum pump to the brake booster.  Fine, i got another vacuum line and it keeps doing the same thing, there isn't any improvement after changing these 3 things and I'm starting to get really mad cause I don't understand why it doesn't fix.

I know wastegate rattling is at some point normal and I have been told about that,  but in my case pressing the brake pedal and getting that sound definitely is not normal...

SORRY, for the long text but I had to explain it properly. I don't think it would be a brake booster problem, the car has 39.500km on the clock. Please any help would be VERY appreciated.  Thanks!

I uploaded a video on YouTube so you can see what I'm talking about 

https://youtube.com/shorts/fM3S-d8wIyE

i would reccomend taking the vacuum line of the brake booster, attaching a smoke macine or a vape pen if you have one (something that will show if there is a leak clearly) seal it to the brake booster, then press the pedal, if you start seeing stuff from the pedal, then the brake booster was your vacuum leak

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:02 PM, Neb_engineer said:

i would reccomend taking the vacuum line of the brake booster, attaching a smoke macine or a vape pen if you have one (something that will show if there is a leak clearly) seal it to the brake booster, then press the pedal, if you start seeing stuff from the pedal, then the brake booster was your vacuum leak

I decided to take the car to Ford again, next monday i will take the car to Ford to make an exhaustive research about what is going on, im really mad tbh since i have spent lot of money and still have the same problem, i mean the car is 100% functional but i dont want to keep using the car with this problem cause maybe in a future it would ruin any part of the engine and i wouldnt like to get a new engine. Thanks for the help, i will keep updating if the problem gets resolved.

it won't ruin any of the engine, it will just reduce the power of the engine

6 hours ago, Neb_engineer said:

it won't ruin any of the engine, it will just reduce the power of the engine

depending on how big the vacuum is ( or the leak diameter as they call it technically ) but a vacuum leak at some point over a period of time could damage the turbocharger, since the boost pressure sensor is not seeing the desired pressure and the PCM keeps commanding the wastegate closed, which could result in over speeding of the turbine wheel.

I agree with you that the brake booster itself could be the source of the vacuum leak, however it could be alot of things, intake manifold gaskets worth checking also.

I strongly agree with you that the smoke machine method as you mentioned could save alot of time and pin point the leak source.

2 minutes ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

depending on how big the vacuum is ( or the leak diameter as they call it technically ) but a vacuum leak at some point over a period of time could damage the turbocharger, since the boost pressure sensor is not seeing the desired pressure and the PCM keeps commanding the wastegate closed, which could result in over speeding of the turbine wheel.

I agree with you that the brake booster itself could be the source of the vacuum leak, however it could be alot of things, intake manifold gaskets worth checking also.

I strongly agree with you that the smoke machine method as you mentioned could save alot of time and pin point the leak source.

the fact the issue happens when the brake pedal is pressed surgests that it the brake booster not the manifold leaking, just saying

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 12:35 AM, Neb_engineer said:

the fact the issue happens when the brake pedal is pressed surgests that it the brake booster not the manifold leaking, just saying

Sorry for late news, today i picked up the fiesta from Ford but no improvements .. they dont know also, very dissapointed about them cause if Ford itself can't tell me what is going on... im very lost. They suggested me to check the new vacuum line where the T piece is attached (I have the recirc turbosmart bov) which seemed to be loose, i fixed it and this properly tight , anyways i had this bov installed 2 years ago and no problems with it... Also they checked the brake booster and suppously it's working fine. 

I don't know what else i can do tbh, i didn't even modified or touched anything about vacuum lines, the last thing i upgraded was the intercooler and it was on August 2020.. should i try and buy a new brake booster? I dont have any smoke machine or vape to do what someone told me so... i was thinking about getting a new vacuum lines to see if it can be resolved by replacing the whole circuit.. 

Or if you have any other ideas to keep trying, would be greatly appreciated.

51 minutes ago, Nicomt said:

Sorry for late news, today i picked up the fiesta from Ford but no improvements .. they dont know also, very dissapointed about them cause if Ford itself can't tell me what is going on... im very lost. They suggested me to check the new vacuum line where the T piece is attached (I have the recirc turbosmart bov) which seemed to be loose, i fixed it and this properly tight , anyways i had this bov installed 2 years ago and no problems with it... Also they checked the brake booster and suppously it's working fine. 

I don't know what else i can do tbh, i didn't even modified or touched anything about vacuum lines, the last thing i upgraded was the intercooler and it was on August 2020.. should i try and buy a new brake booster? I dont have any smoke machine or vape to do what someone told me so... i was thinking about getting a new vacuum lines to see if it can be resolved by replacing the whole circuit.. 

Or if you have any other ideas to keep trying, would be greatly appreciated.

for you to test it, i recoomend even a very cheap vape pen, and seal the vape pen around the vacuum port on the booster, then press the brake pedal, if you see the vape inside of the car when the padal is pressed the booster is no good, also i bet the reason ford said it was fine was they probably tested the booster without pressing the brake pedal, and seeing as it only leaks when the pedal is pressed it wouldn't show as bad in the test

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 12:32 AM, Neb_engineer said:

for you to test it, i recoomend even a very cheap vape pen, and seal the vape pen around the vacuum port on the booster, then press the brake pedal, if you see the vape inside of the car when the padal is pressed the booster is no good, also i bet the reason ford said it was fine was they probably tested the booster without pressing the brake pedal, and seeing as it only leaks when the pedal is pressed it wouldn't show as bad in the test

Sorry for the very delayed answer, but i still have the problem... would you mind to show me what you said to me in a engine picture? i have checked also the dump valve )i have the uprated recirc valve from turbosmart) and it has a broken o-ring, changed it by the stock valve but i have the same problem so the dump valve isn't neither the problem. Also checked the T piece and its ok. Im very upset with this cause im unable to resolve this and i have tried everything.. 

• 1 year later...

Hello.  I have exactly the same problem with strange noise as in your car.  Have you already solved the problem?  Do you know what is the cause?Hello.  I have exactly the same problem with strange noise as in your car.  Have you already solved the problem?  Do you know what is the cause? Any help will be appereciate. Thanks Mat

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club