Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 EcoBoost 1L Stop/Start issues

theningiachicken

my ecoboost's stop/start feature wont engage, system is telling me the battery is recharging yet I had the battery changed earlier today I've also tried to reset the sensor but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Is there very specific requirements for it to function apart from the battery having enough charge? 

Thanks

I'm suprised a 3 year old car needed an new battery - did you get the correct type?

And a lot of people on here don't like stop/start and wouldn't mind if it didn't work, mine is not working because i'm not doing any miles at the moment, I did do a run a few weeks ago and it started working for a short time.

same here but it had been stood since November-ish so might be why, i mean im not too fussed about it as i never seem to put my car in neutral when at lights but i got it from available car so in theory it should have worked. i had given it many decent runs to attempt at convincing they system to function.

4 hours ago, Tiexen said:

I'm suprised a 3 year old car needed an new battery - did you get the correct type?

And a lot of people on here don't like stop/start and wouldn't mind if it didn't work, mine is not working because i'm not doing any miles at the moment, I did do a run a few weeks ago and it started working for a short time.

My Mk4 needed a new battery after just 6 months old. Was stood for 3 weeks when first lockdown arrived.

Stop Start rarely works as I don't do the mileage anyhow. I'd like to know one thing though. 

Why do they make new batteries come with a higher voltage rating than the actual car will ever recharge it to ? 

If the Focus will only charge a battery to 80% Unless you do a lot of miles the Stop start will hardly ever work.

My Mk3 has not worked in over a year, in a way its good thing as it puts more wear on the starter motor particularly on short journeys, but the battery is on full charge and still will not engage.

Hello

My cars' stop/start won't engage either. My car is a Mk7.5 2014 but stop/start hasn't engage for over 1 year. I thought the battery was on its way out but had it checked by mechanic and it is fine. I think it is all the short journeys I do its not getting charged fully. When I start it up I get the green stop/start light coming up so I know there isn't a fault with it, I have also done the battery reset but that hasn't helped yet.

Hope this helps

I wish that my blasted "Start / Stop" system didn't work. This is the first car I've had with this stupid system that I've not been able to disable totally.

You might guess I'm not a fan of this

On 3/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, theningiachicken said:

my ecoboost's stop/start feature wont engage, system is telling me the battery is recharging yet I had the battery changed earlier today I've also tried to reset the sensor but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Is there very specific requirements for it to function apart from the battery having enough charge? 

Thanks

Hi William and all,

I'm sensing I'm in a minority in this thread in quite liking stop start and hoping mine keeps working  😉

You mentioned you've tried the battery management reset thing  - that's what I've needed to do to keep stop start working. When you've tried it does the battery light (within the rev counter) flash a few times? If so that's confirmation that the battery management software is reset. But I think it only takes effect if, after the reset, you switch off and back on again. Apologies if you knew all that already tho...

• Sad 1

The stop start can be disabled easily by pressing the button on the centre console with the A inside a circular arrow. The switch should illuminate or a symbol appears on the dash, depending on model. 

For it to operate the car needs to be up to temperature, have a decent charge in the battery and not too many accessories in use, like air con.   If a car has not been used much, the voltage will drop and stop start bay never actually work, but one decent journey should fix that. 

and who wants to press a button every single time you get in the car ????? Its my car and if I don't want Start / Stop then I dont want it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well thats my rant over for tonight 😉

Does anyone on here know the minimum voltage requirement for the Stop start to operate ? 

I had the car running at a point last week for 3 hrs chauffeuring duties 🙄The voltage was at 11.6 at the start of the journey. The following morning it was 12.1 and still no stop start. So at what point does it start to kick in ?

For the record, I dont have the ipad on. It gets switched off. Heater only on 2 with no icons on heater lit up other than the two small segments on heater. HUD disabled ( a temporary measure). So all in all not much to draw away from the recharging process. 

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

and who wants to press a button every single time you get in the car ????? Its my car and if I don't want Start / Stop then I dont want it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well thats my rant over for tonight 😉

You don't have to press it everytime. Once its disabled only you can switch it back on. It doesn't come back on once you switch the car off and on again. 

12.45 V minimum, and I like to keep my battery below that as much as possible

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

You don't have to press it everytime. Once its disabled only you can switch it back on. It doesn't come back on once you switch the car off and on again. 

Very sadly your wrong, I wish you wern't but the fact is every time you switch off the ignition the system resets and the next time you start the car the "Start/Stop" system turns back on. Its a goverment requirement but some car dealers like BMW will tweak the settings for you so it stays in what ever state you have it set.

Dealers like Ford and Jaguar say it can't be set like that. I have no doubt that it can be set to stay disabled via an adjustment with ForScan but as yet I've not found it.

In the mean time I have the button jammed in with a bit of tape. It means that each time I get in the car the Start/Stop system will as always be on, but after the first operation it with then flash up on the dash saying that it has been disabled by the driver so at least I only have to suffer it once per journy

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

Very sadly your wrong, I wish you wern't but the fact is every time you switch off the ignition the system resets and the next time you start the car the "Start/Stop" system turns back on. Its a goverment requirement but some car dealers like BMW will tweak the settings for you so it stays in what ever state you have it set.

Dealers like Ford and Jaguar say it can't be set like that. I have no doubt that it can be set to stay disabled via an adjustment with ForScan but as yet I've not found it.

In the mean time I have the button jammed in with a bit of tape. It means that each time I get in the car the Start/Stop system will as always be on, but after the first operation it with then flash up on the dash saying that it has been disabled by the driver so at least I only have to suffer it once per journy

Mine stays off if I switch it off from the button in centre console. Otherwise it would keep telling me " Stop start unavailable due to battery charging in operation" each time I started the car. 

Hi Wino, just trying to confirm this because you might have a very unique car. Are you saying that if you switch the system off, it will stay off (disabled) forever, even if you switch the ignition off, get out the car, come back in a couple of hours and restart your car - the system would still be disabled ?

Are there anyother Focus 2019 drivers out there with a Start/Stop system that remains off forever ? Please let us know

8 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi Wino, just trying to confirm this because you might have a very unique car. Are you saying that if you switch the system off, it will stay off (disabled) forever, even if you switch the ignition off, get out the car, come back in a couple of hours and restart your car - the system would still be disabled ?

Are there anyother Focus 2019 drivers out there with a Start/Stop system that remains off forever ? Please let us know

Yes. That is correct. If I switch it off it stays off until I manually switch it back on. 

Thats fantastic. Have you had the car from new ? just wondering if a previous owner has had the software tweaked. I checked out two other Focus yesterday and they were both the same as mine. After the car has been switched off and restarted there Start/Stop system had turned itself back on.

Since this crazy system has been about I've had two XF Jaguars, one Discovery Sport, and a Jaguar F Pace (all company cars) every one of them kept turning the Start/Stop system back on after the car ignition was switched off and restarted.

Would love to hear from others on this subject

22 minutes ago, unofix said:

Thats fantastic. Have you had the car from new ? just wondering if a previous owner has had the software tweaked. I checked out two other Focus yesterday and they were both the same as mine. After the car has been switched off and restarted there Start/Stop system had turned itself back on.

Since this crazy system has been about I've had two XF Jaguars, one Discovery Sport, and a Jaguar F Pace (all company cars) every one of them kept turning the Start/Stop system back on after the car ignition was switched off and restarted.

Would love to hear from others on this subject

It defaults to on every time you restart the car, that does not mean that it will activate during your drive.

There are lots of reasons why it does not activate but the most common one is if the battery State of Charge is less than 69%, which is common because the charging system only charges the battery up to 80%.

Selecting Sport Mode also deactivates it on my model.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Tizer, thats what I have always found - It will always default to ON after the car has been restarted. On other cars with this I have always found a way to disable the Start/Stop sytem so it couldn't turn back on, but so far with the Mk4 Focus i've not yet found a solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

but so far with the Mk4 Focus i've not yet found a solution.

I haven't seen anything on popping up on the FORScan Forum either to say that anyone has successfully disabled it either. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 2:06 PM, theningiachicken said:

Thanks

Maybe in need of a simple reset of the battery monitor, it worked for me on my old fiesta and on my current one. 

Providing you have a decent charge in your battery try out below. 

To reset the battery monitoring system on the Fiesta

1. Turn on ignition (not engine)

2. Ensure headlights are set to on

3. flash the high beam five times

4. press the brake pedal 3 times

5. wait for the battery light to flash on the dash. Approx 30 seconds

6. Turn off then restart.

Take it a short run round the block and try it. 

8 hours ago, Tizer said:

It defaults to on every time you restart the car, that does not mean that it will activate during your drive.

There are lots of reasons why it does not activate but the most common one is if the Battery State of Charge is less than 69%, which is common because the charging system only charges the battery up to 80%.

Selecting Sport Mode also deactivates it on my model.  

If I get into my Focus start it up and press the Stop/ Start button in the middle of the centre console it will tell me it's now been activated as I'd shut it off over a week a go or whenever it was. It doesn't automatically restart itself even if I go from normal driving mode to Sport mode then back to normal it wouldn't switch itself back on once in Normal driving mode.

When I was on chauffeuring duties last week..... I switched it on and the car was running for a good 3 hours. I never switched it off even when waiting in Tesco car park for over an hour or so I left it ticking over and even got the " Shut idle engine off message" on the dashboard. I didn't and continued to leave it to tick over and then carried on driving for a good hour or so afterwards. 

9 hours ago, Tizer said:

There are lots of reasons why it does not activate but the most common one is if the Battery State of Charge is less than 69%, which is common because the charging system only charges the battery up to 80%

you can change this in forscan to allow battery to recharge to up to 100% at the expense of slightly poorer fuel economy. car will continue to recharge by default beyond 80% but only when car is moving in gear without pressing the accelerator.

• Thanks 1

Stop start?  Pointless gimmick, actually dangerous when in an auto car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club