Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Focus to buy?

kerstilee

2 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Was kinda stressful leading up to getting it delivered knowing even if I didn’t like it I’d be stuck with it for 3 years! 

I definitely know that feeling!! 😬

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

In 2019 that was very true. I found so many outstanding reviews of the Mk4 182 from bloggers to owner reviews, I knew it’d be very good. Wasn’t disappointed! Was kinda stressful leading up to getting it delivered knowing even if I didn’t like it I’d be stuck with it for 3 years! 

Good job you like it then haha!

Have you had any issues at all? My friend has had the GPF warning a few times, which needed to be cleared with software updates included. 

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Bhp only sells cars.  It's torque you need for towing! :biggrin:

Torque is something I wish I’d stuck in at physics for ! 
Bhp is a fairly good way to know how powerful or not a car is tho, I’ve gone from an Astra 110bhp to a Ford 180bhp it’s night and day. 

14 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Have you had any issues at all?

No issues 

Not sure what GPF warning is?  

Just now, Alex.S said:

No issues 

Not sure what GPF warning is?  

Gasoline Particulate Filter, or I guess in the UK it’s the Petrol Particulate Filter. Does the same job as the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) on the diesels. They catch the soot that your exhaust emits, then regens the same as the DPF would at higher speeds. They’ve only been a legal requirement on petrol engines since September 2018. My date stamp in my engine bay says June, so I escaped it 😂🥳

His always has long motorway runs though, and was supposedly clean, so Ford put it down to software errors 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Gasoline Particulate Filter, or I guess in the UK it’s the Petrol Particulate Filter. Does the same job as the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) on the diesels. They catch the soot that your exhaust emits, then regens the same as the DPF would at higher speeds. They’ve only been a legal requirement on petrol engines since September 2018. My date stamp in my engine bay says June, so I escaped it 😂🥳

His always has long motorway runs though, and was supposedly clean, so Ford put it down to software errors 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve heard of the diesel one cause ppl talking of it on here. Not heard any Mk4 petrol owners even mention it. 

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

The Vignale and ST are top spec so should have the more expensive suspension. The estates maybe cause bigger car 🤔 but why the 2.0L diesel hatchback?

@TomsFocus and @Sam92 are right about the high Torque of the 2.0 Diesel compared to both the 1.5 Petrol engines (370 v 240 Nm), which is nearer 60% more.

Another reason the Estate has it is that Estate cars need a flatter, lower and bigger Load Space floor so it must have been easier for Ford to adapt the Multi-Link.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

My friend has had the GPF warning a few times, which needed to be cleared with software updates included. 

Is his car a 1.0 petrol?. There have been a lot of people with that engine having GPF problems and there was a software update, but hardly any problems with the 1.5 and no software update as far as I know.

I have not had any problems with my 1.5. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Is his car a 1.0 petrol?. There have been a lot of people with that engine having GPF problems and there was a software update, but hardly any problems with the 1.5 and no software update as far as I know.

I have not had any problems with my 1.5. 

Yeah it’s a 1.0. After I posted that, I had a look around, sounds like it’s a common fault with the 1.0. Some even said it got stuck in limp mode. At least @Alex.S should be okay then as his is the 1.5.

Fairly new car, so I guess there’s gonna be software issues. Look at Windows, been around since 1985 and they still can’t get it right 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah it’s a 1.0. After I posted that, I had a look around, sounds like it’s a common fault with the 1.0.

The new 1.5 engine was probably designed with GPF's in mind rather than it being an afterthought like with the 1.0, that's my theory.   

13 minutes ago, Tizer said:

The new 1.5 engine was probably designed with GPF's in mind rather than it being an afterthought like with the 1.0, that's my theory.   

Well that theory is as good as any, I can’t think what else it could be. Surely it would create less particulates than the 1.5, so the GPF should cope fine.

I kinda get the vibe the 1.0 has been made with cost saving at the forefront of their minds. Look at the issue with the degas pipe and all the engine failures caused by it. There was also the DMF issues in the early MK3 Focus as well. 

Seems like the 1.5 in both 3 & 4 cylinder versions are solid, no recalls or major faults reported anywhere, touch wood. Although saying that, it’s a slightly shrunken 1.6, and look how those turned out... 🔥

50 minutes ago, Tizer said:

@TomsFocus and @Sam92 are right about the high Torque of the 2.0 Diesel compared to both the 1.5 Petrol engines (370 v 240 Nm), which is nearer 60% more.

Another reason the Estate has it is that Estate cars need a flatter, lower and bigger Load Space floor so it must have been easier for Ford to adapt the Multi-Link.

Thought that might of been the case, guess it needs the stability with all that power. 
Really miss my old 2.0 TDCI Titanium. Don’t get me wrong, I love my current car, but you can’t beat the sheer torque those Duratorq engines produce. Feels like the engine’s trying to rip itself from the car 💪🏻

Only tires I could find that let it put the power down was the Pilot Sports. It came out of the factory with Dunlop’s, and if you floored it at 30mph in 3rd gear, it wheel span 😆

56mpg at 80mph with cruise control on was nice though...

12 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Bhp is a fairly good way to know how powerful or not a car is tho

Not when comparing between diesel and petrol, or even two petrols between NA & turbo.

My new 155bhp Focus will feel considerably slower in gear than my current 140bhp Golf.  The Focus only has 240Nm of torque whereas the diesel Golf has 320Nm.  

It's going to be the same for electric cars, they produce way more torque than petrols so simply converting kW to BHP isn't a fair comparison. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I’ve heard of the diesel one cause ppl talking of it on here. Not heard any Mk4 petrol owners even mention it. 

Yes, a few of us have had it.  I had it a while back cos I didnt do any long journeys.  Took it for an hours drive on varied roads and it hasnt come back, but now i do take it for a run every couple of weeks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Yes, a few of us have had it.  I had it a while back cos I didnt do any long journeys.  Took it for an hours drive on varied roads and it hasnt come back, but now i do take it for a run every couple of weeks.

Is it a warning light on the dash ? Or a msg to the app? 

It's a message on the dash.

There's 2, one says something like filter full, go to a dealer straight away.  Mine was filter full, drive to clean it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

My new 155bhp Focus will feel considerably slower in gear than my current 140bhp Golf.  The Focus only has 240Nm of torque whereas the diesel Golf has 320Nm.  

Just read the 155 mild hybrid has 235Nm. 

26 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Even worse than I thought then!  :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The price list says 240. I'm sure those 5Nm will make a crucial difference!😀

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The 182 is 240Nm

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

The 182 is 240Nm

Yeah, I think both the 150 and 182 versions of the 1.5 were quoted as 240Nm, so in theory the 155MHEV should have similar performance to the 150 at least. It will be interesting to see how that works in practice - has anyone got a 155MHEV Focus yet? I know several Fiesta owners have got them and report stronger performance but that's in comparison to the previous 140 which only has 180Nm.

• Like 1

I have the 2.0 ecoblue estate TX Mk4. 
148bhp and 340Nm as standard. 

Contemplating an ECU upgrade to 187bhp and 422Nm. Seems like a hefty upgrade for around £280 at superchips. 

I can’t do it just yet as I am in warranty until Dec 2021. Has anyone got any experience doing it? Are there any draw backs?

As long as you stay within the torque rating of the clutch you should be fine.  I've had several diesels remapped down the years and always been ok.

• Like 2

So after much debate we're thinking seriously about this one - https://www.evanshalshaw.com/search/details/ford/focus/automatic-petrol-red-hatchback-lc67wrp/?campaign=7+day+money+back+guarantee

Husband likes the idea of an auto (I'm not too fussed either way given that we'll be driving the kids around) but is there anything that jumps out as a problem or a gotcha with this particular car?

Car itself looks grand.  I've never had a good experience with Evans Halshaw though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club