Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car won't crank, immobiliser light flashing

ChrisAndy

2011 Focus 1.8 

I have been having intermittent trouble starting the car for the last 4 months. 

When I turn the key the immobiliser light flashes and it car won't start. It says Engine Malfunction in the dash. In the past after repeating this process the car eventually would start. 

I sent the car into my local garage when it first happened and they sent away the instrument cluster to be repaired, which didn't work. 

Sent it to Ford, they sent it straight back as it worked fine when it was with them. 

Sent it to another garage they too sent the instrument cluster off, which was sent back as no faults were found with it. 

Sent to another garage, found a burnt out joint on BCM soldered that back up, but still same issue. 

Once the car is running everything is fine. No loss of power to the dash or limp mode.  

Now the car won't start no matter what I try. 

Please help 

Have you got more than one key for your car? If so have you tried the other key ?

Sounds like the chip in the key is not being read when the key is put in the ingnition. possible fault with the loop aerial around the ignition switch, maybe a simple case of it becoming disconected

If your ford focus does not recognize your key the immobiliser light will flash and the car won't start. try turning the key to the second position 4 times and then initialize the start mode to reset the immobiliser.

• Like 1

I have two keys and neither one will start the car.

I have tried putting position 2 four times and it doesn't make any difference. 

There has always been a clicking sound just before the can turned over (coming from the fuse box) I read somewhere about it possibly being a faulty relay, so I open up the fuse box this morning and when trying to start the car I identified where the clicking sounds was coming from. It was from this relay (picture attached) 

Is this normal, to be a able to hear and actually feel the relay operating?

My plan now is to go to Ford tomorrow to get a new relay switch.

1616336681899500365350765892144.jpg

3 minutes ago, ChrisAndy said:

My plan now is to go to Ford tomorrow to get a new relay switch.

Your fault diagnosis is interesting. I would be replacing bits I know to be faulty. The guesswork of 'trial & error' is short road to an empty bank balance, and a continued unresolved fault. You've already spent a fortune on various 'Ford' folk having a go. Would you not feel better getting a proper trained auto spark to diagnose the fault?

Quick answer to your relay question. Yes it is totally normal to be able to hear the relay operate, and also if you touch it while it operates you will feel the click as the relay contacts close. Its generally a good sign as it proves the relay is operating. (and yes of course the contacts could be welded together but in this case I would say not)

Thanks, good to know about the relay,  I'm guessing that probably rules that out then. 

I am now (as suggested) trying to find a good Auto Electrician in my area. 

Any suggestions on how to go about choosing one....?

19 minutes ago, ChrisAndy said:

Any suggestions on how to go about choosing one....?

I've always relied on good word of mouth. Fancy ads in 'yellow pages' aren't a good teller of quality. If you know anyone with an old classic car (they always need work done), ask them, that's how I found my guy 25 years ago. Garage looks like nothing, but his talent and knowledge is excellent. (and he doesn't charge the earth). I suppose these days there is an 'online' way of finding talent, but you'll need a younger member than me to advise LOL

• 2 years later...

Did you find out the problem as I'm having the same.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, G1NN3R5 said:

Did you find out the problem as I'm having the same.

Yours is a totally different model.  Have you tried replacing the keyfob batteries if push-button start?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club