Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK8 dink on arch in car park

HRF1T2020

Somebody has put a dink in the rear arch

Car door by looks of it hasn't damaged the paint work

What options do you recommend leave it, use a garage, or a company like chips away

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/

Thanks for help

_20210321_151259.JPG

_20210321_151312.JPG

• Sad 1

On dear. Well, if you're sure the paint isn't broken you can safely leave it - depends how much it bugs you. I left the last one I had and the sales guy didn't even spot it at trade in time.

Previously I've used local paintless dent removal franchisees -  depends who you have in your area. It helps if you can get a recommendation - I found both my local Honda and Ford dealers farmed out such work and were happy to recommend the guy they used.

• Thanks 1

I feel for you mate, thats a real bummer 

I once saw a guy clobber my car in a car park, let's just say I didn't send any grapes to his hospital 😉

I have used chips away before and to be honest I found their prices very reasonable, and have been 100% happy with the job they did which was perfect.

Cheers it is really annoying some people just ignorant of watching their doors, I'm always cateful

Car is due in my local independent garage for mot and service tomorrow, will see what they say as they have a bodyshop

1 minute ago, m50e30 said:

What's your location?

Northampton area

56 minutes ago, HRF1T2020 said:

What options do you recommend leave it, use a garage, or a company like chips away

Thanks for help

_20210321_151259.JPG

_20210321_151312.JPG

I had this happen to my car during some really strong wind a few years back where a kid had opened the door of the car next to mine and the wind blew it into my car, in all honesty if the dent was bigger i would get it knocked out, but your dent like the one in my car is so small its basically only visible up close

15 hours ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

I feel for you mate, thats a real bummer 

I once saw a guy clobber my car in a car park, let's just say I didn't send any grapes to his hospital 😉

I have used chips away before and to be honest I found their prices very reasonable, and have been 100% happy with the job they did which was perfect.

Hi people just don't care

Out of interest how much was your job from chips away if you don't mind me asking?

Had a scuff on the front of my 2017 black St Line a couple of years back, around this time of year. It was on the top curve of the front plastic bumper about 10 inches to the right of the Ford badge. Have a picture somewhere.

A stone or piece of a brick was thrown up by a wagon further down the road infront of me, bounced on the road and off of the car. 

Anyways, the scuff was about as big as my thumbnail, no cracks or any other damage.

Got in touch with chips away who wanted 3 or 4 photos of the area.

They replied 2 or 3 days later stating the repair could not be done on the roadside or at my work, it had to go into the workshop for 2 days and the price would be £280.

Not happy with the price (would have been cheaper through insurance and would have had a courtesy car), took the car to a local small body shop and had the repair done in one day (around 8 hrs car was left for) for £65. Unfortunately, the shop has now closed and gone, presumably loss of income through lockdown.

The repair was very good, not 100% invisible but only I knew it was there and where to look exactly in the right light. The repair was still as good when I traded the car in at the dealership around 6 to 8 months later.

Will never ask Chips Away for a price again, seemed to me like they were on the make..... always best to get a couple of quotes and get them to actually look at the damage for real, not photos in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Had a scuff on the front of my 2017 black St Line a couple of years back, around this time of year. It was on the top curve of the front plastic bumper about 10 inches to the right of the Ford badge. Have a picture somewhere.

A stone or piece of a brick was thrown up by a wagon further down the road infront of me, bounced on the road and off of the car. 

Anyways, the scuff was about as big as my thumbnail, no cracks or any other damage.

Got in touch with chips away who wanted 3 or 4 photos of the area.

They replied 2 or 3 days later stating the repair could not be done on the roadside or at my work, it had to go into the workshop for 2 days and the price would be £280.

Not happy with the price (would have been cheaper through insurance and would have had a courtesy car), took the car to a local small body shop and had the repair done in one day (around 8 hrs car was left for) for £65. Unfortunately, the shop has now closed and gone, presumably loss of income through lockdown.

The repair was very good, not 100% invisible but only I knew it was there and where to look exactly in the right light. The repair was still as good when I traded the car in at the dealership around 6 to 8 months later.

Will never ask Chips Away for a price again, seemed to me like they were on the make..... always best to get a couple of quotes and get them to actually look at the damage for real, not photos in my opinion.

I had a similar experience with them too. 2 very small chips on the drivers door. Only really noticable when the car is clean ( not very often ) They needed the car for two to three days and wanted £250/£300 as the whole door needed to be re painted which seemed a bit overkill to me but I'm not a body shop expert. 

You can just see the two Mark's to the bottom right hand side of the door if you look closely in the attached pic.

Screenshot_20200202_184508_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 1

My Dad had a strange experience with ChipsAway...they wouldn't even give him a quote to repaint his bumper valance as they said it could crack in future...  :unsure:

For the ding in the first post, I'd 100% go for PDR as Roger suggested.  Once you paint anything it never looks perfect again, especially if you've got to fill a hole as well.

• Like 1

I’m very lucky in that I have a very good independent chipsaway type company on the corner of my street. Always cheaper than the other places. It’s a shame people are so careless towards other cars.

Someone gave me a dent absolutely identical to the OP's - it's annoyingly noticeable because it's right on the body crease.

I was thinking paintless dent removal if possible - would be interested to see how you get on.

Anyone tried those DIY dent pulling kits?

6 hours ago, HRF1T2020 said:

Hi people just don't care

Out of interest how much was your job from chips away if you don't mind me asking?

Hi, it was about 4 years ago for the ding which put the offender in hospital, it cost about £180 and the guy from chips away did it on the drive in around 2 hours, and did a fabulous job, and I am a perfectionist, and couldn't tell after he had finished.

8 hours ago, Jonson said:

Someone gave me a dent absolutely identical to the OP's - it's annoyingly noticeable because it's right on the body crease.

I was thinking paintless dent removal if possible - would be interested to see how you get on.

Anyone tried those DIY dent pulling kits?

The suction cups with handles on do work. I pulled out a 2cm dent out of the front wing of my Primera a few yrs ago with these. 

It is harder to get a good grip if you have the area recently polished though. 

Glue tab slide hammer dent pullers work really good used one to remove a door dent. You wouldn't know there was ever a dent. 

• Thanks 1

I just had this done:

20210228-165610.jpg

And the results:

20210315-162311.jpg

Best 200 quid I've ever spent. 

https://www.repair-a-dent.co.uk/

I just emailed Rob the pics and he quoted over email. He has very good communication skills and he is a master at removing dents as you can see from the pics above....

Give him a call or email, go from there

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 3:17 PM, HRF1T2020 said:

Thanks for help

_20210321_151259.JPG

_20210321_151312.JPG

I wouldn't use chips away from what I hear about them. See my post above

• Thanks 1

I had bin during a wind storm blast into my door and leave two big long dents. I found a local guy who does paintless dent removal and he worked them out. Looks like new.

https://www.dragonsdents.co.uk/

I would look around and read some reviews and find someone local to you, some will actually come out to you and do it right in your drive way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, m50e30 said:

I wouldn't use chips away from what I hear about them. See my post above

Yes my scratch repair is now on its 4th respray 2 complete botch jobs followed by a 3rd that started cracking after a couple of months. The 4th isn't perfect but only noticeable at the correct angle so I just live with it.

7 hours ago, runamonk said:

I had bin during a wind storm blast into my door and leave two big long dents. I found a local guy who does paintless dent removal and he worked them out. Looks like new.

https://www.dragonsdents.co.uk/

I would look around and read some reviews and find someone local to you, some will actually come out to you and do it right in your drive way.

That is amazing and they're page of repairs look great

I see they cover Northamptonshire as well

What are they like on pricing?

I'm finding most bodyshop are saying for the size to live with it if possible, or they'll need to spray the whole quarter as pretty sure the paint will suffer on the pull on mine

My experience is that ChipsAway vary hugely by franchise...I've had perfect jobs at reasonable prices, and a horrible runny mess that I rejected...

1 hour ago, HRF1T2020 said:

That is amazing and they're page of repairs look great

I see they cover Northamptonshire as well

What are they like on pricing?

I'm finding most bodyshop are saying for the size to live with it if possible, or they'll need to spray the whole quarter as pretty sure the paint will suffer on the pull on mine

I think for that repair, it was either 200 or 250, I can't remember which. Really friendly guys up there. It was a pleasure watching them work. I would take some pictures and send it over to them. He'll give you a good idea of how much it's going to cost.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, runamonk said:

I think for that repair, it was either 200 or 250, I can't remember which. Really friendly guys up there. It was a pleasure watching them work. I would take some pictures and send it over to them. He'll give you a good idea of how much it's going to cost.

Thanks

Will do after lockdown but they do seem to do an amazing job

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club