Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 Fiesta Zetec 1.2. No first gear.

TheMrX

My Mk7 fiesta zetec has just developed a problem.  I can't get it into first gear (engine running or off).  I have tried double de-clutching.  Tried gently reving the engine.  Tried sliding in directly from second.  Nothing works.  It's wont budge past neutral, and all other gears are fine.

From what I have read, it sounds like the syncromesh is the problem, but that also suggests that I should then also have a problem with second if that's the case.  

Looks like I will have to take to a garage but wondered if anyone had any ideas on what it could be and how to fix.  I've also read people say to get a second hand gearbox.  But if I do that, then aren't I potentially putting another faulty one on - unless guaranteed reconditioned or something like that?

Any help or advice appreciated.

have you tried rocking the car backwards and forwards while trying to engage first gear, engine off and clutch in

Not backwards, but have when rolling forwards.  Still the same.  Won't budge and I don't want to force it too hard.

2 minutes ago, TheMrX said:

Not backwards, but have when rolling forwards.  Still the same.  Won't budge and I don't want to force it too hard.

i would try rocking it in both divections, what your doing is trying to rock the gear box into a position where the shift collar will mesh with the gear, if it does engage when doing this then the 1st gear side of the syncro is gone

Thanks for the comments Neb_engineer I did also do a 5 mile run (to get back home - pulling away in second) after the problem started.  Wouldn't the road vibrations have had more chance of rocking it into position?  If you still think it's worth rocking back and forth I will try in the morning.  If it does click in, and so it suggests the 1st synchro has gone, can I replace just that part?  Or is it a complete gear box?   

i would still suggest rocking the car, if it is the syncro and not the shift fork (do all your other gears work?) then you can replace it but it requires the gearbox to be torn down and rebuilt

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club