Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.0 ecoboost question about the need to bleed the clutch system

Zilk

Hi

I got a question about my focus 1.0 ecoboost 125HP MK3.5 > 2015.
The dealer told me that it is not needed to bleed the clutch cylinders, when the system is working fine.
They told me that the DOT4 fluid runs in the same system as the brakes. And that is services every 2 years.
Now, i read a story of a fellow focus owner who did bleed the clutch cylinders and told that the fluid came out black of colour. 
So, now i am confused. If this is the same circuit, then I should have the same colour as in the reservoir, right? 
I hope an expert can give me the right answer. 

RG

Yes the clutch is fully hydraulic and uses the brake fluid from the brake fluid resovoir. 

3 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Yes the clutch is fully hydraulic and uses the brake fluid from the brake fluid resovoir. 

Thanks for the quick answer. What do you think of the black fluid story? If this is 1 system, and it is refreshed, then it should never be black right? 

Remember that bleeding is not the same as flushing.

The reason you change brake fluid is down to the fact it absorbes moisture, which evaporates when you keep pressing on the brakes all the time (remember gasses are compressible and liquids arent). This makes for a spongy brake pedal which is obviously not what you want.

The hydraulic clutch system doesn't get as hot, so there's not much risk of any moisture evaporating and causing issues.

They may share the same reservoir but the fluid that's right next to the slave cylinder will never return to the reservoir. That would require the whole line to return which would obviously overflow the res.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Remember that bleeding is not the same as flushing.

The reason you change brake fluid is down to the fact it absorbes moisture, which evaporates when you keep pressing on the brakes all the time (remember gasses are compressible and liquids arent). This makes for a spongy brake pedal which is obviously not what you want.

The hydraulic clutch system doesn't get as hot, so there's not much risk of any moisture evaporating and causing issues.

They may share the same reservoir but the fluid that's right next to the slave cylinder will never return to the reservoir. That would require the whole line to return which would obviously overflow the res.

Thanks for the answer. Is there any good tutorial to get fresh DOT4 in the clutch system?

7 hours ago, Zilk said:

Thanks for the answer. Is there any good tutorial to get fresh DOT4 in the clutch system?

I've not seen any, but bearing in mind what I said about it not being required, why do you want to? Are you having clutch issues? If not then don't bother flushing the system, you'll just end up making more problems than you're trying to fix.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club