Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Focus ST coolant below minimum.

shawty1984

Washing the car and just noticed the coolant is well below minimum. The car isn't 1 year old yet (will be in July). Maybe some sort of leak? 

What's the best thing to do at the minute? Straight to the dealers or top up and keep an eye on it? 

If topping up, what's the best type to get for the type of car, 2.3 litre petrol. Never had to touch coolant before.

20210324_133704.jpg

Just opened up the top and the pressure released and it's come up but still below minimum.

20210324_135115.jpg

For a new car it is quite normal for the coolant level to drop a bit within the first Year.

As a result of temperature and pressure all of the coolant hoses expand which results in a slightly larger capacity of the cooling system. Another possible cause of the dropped coolant level can be the water pump. The water pump has a mechanical seal that is cooled and lubricated with coolant. A very small loss of coolant at the pump seal is quite normal. initially the water pump seal can suffer from an increased loss of coolant because the seal surfaces need to bed in.

I suggest to add coolant to the maximum level and check the coolant level regularly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

For a new car it is quite normal for the coolant level to drop a bit within the first Year.

As a result of temperature and pressure all of the coolant hoses expand which results in a slightly larger capacity of the cooling system. Another possible cause of the dropped coolant level can be the water pump. The water pump has a mechanical seal that is cooled and lubricated with coolant. A very small loss of coolant at the pump seal is quite normal. initially the water pump seal can suffer from an increased loss of coolant because the seal surfaces need to bed in.

I suggest to add coolant to the maximum level and check the coolant level regularly.

Thanks for the advice, if I was to go to Halfords, what coolant would you suggest for the ST engine. Not even sure if there is different ones.

I would advise purchasing coolant additive from Ford, to ensure that there are no incompatibility problems and preserve the 10 year coolant specification 

• Like 3

Browne and Day Ford Main Deal sell the Ford Coolant on eBay. It is the real thing, I've bought it twice before.

Ford only do one coolant now [Red] (for the UK) the old Blue coolant for pre-1980 is no longer used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Super-Plus-Anti-Freeze-Coolant-1Ltr/253682749377?hash=item3b10ab8fc1:g:8m8AAOSwU~VelZ5P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

Washing the car and just noticed the coolant is well below minimum. The car isn't 1 year old yet (will be in July). Maybe some sort of leak? 

What's the best thing to do at the minute? Straight to the dealers or top up and keep an eye on it? 

If topping up, what's the best type to get for the type of car, 2.3 litre petrol. Never had to touch coolant before.

I wouldn't worry, unless it really is leaking and the expansion tank starts to empty. Every car I've had, including this one, has run a couple of centimeters below Max. If I top it up to Max, the next time I look it's back down to it's "running" level. As long as it maintains this "running" level and doesn't drop any further, probably nothing to worry about. I've always used Prestone ready to use for topping up, widely available.

36 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I wouldn't worry, unless it really is leaking and the expansion tank starts to empty. Every car I've had, including this one, has run a couple of centimeters below Max. If I top it up to Max, the next time I look it's back down to it's "running" level. As long as it maintains this "running" level and doesn't drop any further, probably nothing to worry about. I've always used Prestone ready to use for topping up, widely available.

The tank seemed very empty, well below the minimum. When I took the cap off and the pressure escaped, it jumped up but stil a bit below the minimum as can be seen in the pics. 

15 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

The tank seemed very empty, well below the minimum. When I took the cap off and the pressure escaped, it jumped up but stil a bit below the minimum as can be seen in the pics. 

The main thing is to check whether it's leaking to start with. You can only determine this by regularly monitoring the level without removing the cap or topping up. Check every day to start with. You'll soon know whether it's a genuine leak or whether it settles down at a certain level. You can't do this just by having one look at it. Once mine is down to its working level I very rarely need to top up at all.

12 minutes ago, Waggy said:

The main thing is to check whether it's leaking to start with. You can only determine this by regularly monitoring the level without removing the cap or topping up. Check every day to start with. You'll soon know whether it's a genuine leak or whether it settles down at a certain level. You can't do this just by having one look at it. Once mine is down to its working level I very rarely need to top up at all.

I'm guessing I'd find leaks on the floor?

The thing that worries me is if there is no leaks, isn't were it is on the first pic far to low? It's well below the minimum line. 

3 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

The thing that worries me is if there is no leaks, isn't were it is on the first pic far to low? It's well below the minimum line. 

If you're lucky, yes. Unfortunately could end up going into the engine or oil IF there is a leak. Is this the first time you've checked the coolant in a year? If it's a new car, probably no wonder it's where it is. Every car is different, and the coolant will find it's own level, within reason. You need to top it up to around the join on the tank, check the level regularly after that and see what it tells you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shawty1984 said:

If you're lucky, yes. Unfortunately could end up going into the engine or oil IF there is a leak. Is this the first time you've checked the coolant in a year? If it's a new car, probably no wonder it's where it is. Every car is different, and the coolant will find it's own level, within reason. You need to top it up to around the join on the tank, check the level regularly after that and see what it tells you.

Is it not linked to engine temperature? Mine was low ..few months old. Took it to dealership, by the time I’d driven there , opened the bonnet it was back to normal. Looked kinda stupid . Technician said it’s engine temperature. 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Is it not linked to engine temperature? Mine was low ..few months old. Took it to dealership, by the time I’d driven there , opened the bonnet it was back to normal. Looked kinda stupid . Technician said it’s engine temperature. 🤷‍♂️

Should be at minimum when cold and then it expands. I'll take the advice here but it seemed very low. I'll top it up and keep an eye on it.

2 hours ago, m50e30 said:

Just top it up with distilled water

Old school - love it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, m50e30 said:

Just top it up with distilled water

Something I certainly won't be doing. Especially on a 30 grand car.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Something I certainly won't be doing. Especially on a 30 grand car.

Don't matter how much the vehicle is, the coolant system is designed for part coolant and part water. No coolant system is pure antifreeze....

Sounds like you need to take it in to the dealership for them to top it up with tap water! Good luck

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, m50e30 said:

Don't matter how much the vehicle is, the coolant system is designed for part coolant and part water. No coolant system is pure antifreeze....

Sounds like you need to take it in to the dealership for them to top it up with tap water! Good luck

I know the vehicle is designed for part coolant part water, I never said otherwise. The cost of the car comment comes from this isn't just some £500 car, it's a brand new 30 grand car and what I mean by that is, the manufacturer states to dilute to 50% water 50% coolant, to buy the coolant costs £13, why would I just add water for the sake of £13 when I spent £30000 on the car. 

The other part to this is, if I just add water, I'm diluting the mixture already in there. While I'm no expert on engines, surely that's a bad thing to be doing, especially to an engine such as the 2.3 litre Ecoboost. 

I'm not sure what the last comment is for? I've listened to the advice given, ordered some of the Ford coolant, looked for leaks and will top up and keep an eye on it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure what the last comment is for? I've listened to the advice given, ordered some of the Ford coolant, looked for leaks and will top up and keep an eye on it. 

Take no notice. They're jealous cos you've got a brand new ST. Oh, so have I!

• Like 1

The other part to this is, if I just add water, I'm diluting the mixture already in there.

Topping up by 500ml in a 7 litre system... I'm sure the car wouldn't notice that the mixture is now 50.1 to 49.9

Crack on...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, m50e30 said:

Topping up by 500ml in a 7 litre system... I'm sure the car wouldn't notice that the mixture is now 50.1 to 49.9

Crack on...

Are you sure? 

I'm still not sure why the need for the comment. It's £13 for a bottle of coolant. 

Crack on with doing it properly, recommended by the manufacturer? I am. 

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club