Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill start assist

28 minutes ago, Woodchal said:

The manual indicates that this does not appear in the MHEv editions - true?  if so why?

Interesting. A similar point came up in the Fiesta forum (link below). We thought they'd just possibly deleted the option to turn it off, but perhaps the feature has gone altogether.

In the Fiesta manual the feature is described with no mention of "except MHEV" though. Price lists for both models still refer to the feature, again with no mention of MHEV being excluded. Might be worth quizzing your dealer.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/124462-help-with-new-fiesta-mk8/?tab=comments#comment-870733

Perhaps I should have been clearer.  MHEV versions don’t appear to have hill start assist or at least there is no option to turn it on or off

Pg 224 of the manual (kind of) says (in Red here) and this option does not appear on my menu - not sure if it has hill start assist (non switchable) or no hill start assist at all

SWITCHING HILL START ASSIST ON AND OFF - MANUAL TRANSMISSION, VEHICLES WITH: 12.3 INCH INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAY SCREEN, EXCLUDING: MILD HYBRID ELECTRIC VEHICLE (MHEV)

1. Press the menu button on the steering wheel to enter the information display main menu.

2. Select Settings.

3. Select Driver assistance.

4. Select Hill start assist.

I can check my MHEV Focus tomorrow but there's no mention about MHEVs not having it in the manual.

Does the MHEV Puma have auto hold?  That's what I've been using so far, considerably better than hill hold in my previous cars as it holds infinitely. 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Does the MHEV Puma have auto hold? 

Unlike the Focus 4 the Puma has a manual handbrake, so I doubt it.

As we discussed on the Fiesta thread, it does seem unlikely that Ford would delete HSA altogether, more likely that (as with so many things now) they've removed the option to switch it off.

• Thanks 1

the brochures list hill start assist as part of Traction Control System, with a note that it’s part of “driver assistance”, which I purchased.  I have emailed dealer to try to understand.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unlike the Focus 4 the Puma has a manual handbrake, so I doubt it.

As we discussed on the Fiesta thread, it does seem unlikely that Ford would delete HSA altogether, more likely that (as with so many things now) they've removed the option to switch it off.

A manual handbrake!?  Which decade are we in again? :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Easy to check if you have it or not. Come to a stand on a slope, apply footbrake firmly, then release brake and see if it holds for a few seconds before rolling back.

Best not to try this on a public road with someone behind you though (!) and note that it is only a few seconds, just enough time to get the right foot off the brake and onto the accelerator.

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

A manual handbrake!?  Which decade are we in again? :biggrin:

Lol, bonus feature as far as I'm concerned!

• Haha 1

Lol, bonus feature as far as I'm concerned!

I must admit it feels a bit like I've forgotten something...  Just stop on the driveway and it autoholds, switch the engine off and the EPB activates, get out of the car and poke the door handle to lock it...  Feel like I'm living in 2030!! :laugh:

Funny thing is I'm still instinctively reaching for the ignition key AFTER having pressed the start button. :laugh:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Funny thing is I'm still instinctively reaching for the ignition key AFTER having pressed the start button. :laugh:

I do that when swapping back to the Fiesta after driving my Mrs's SEAT. Then when I drive the SEAT again I'm pressing the button which isn't there!😀 

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Does automatic Puma have a manual handbrake? If so That’s a dealbreaker.   I need auto hold ! 

Hands up all those who are going to buy a new Ford Puma ........... not so fast Alex !!! 

put your hand down 😟     and now pull on the handbrake !

handbrake.JPG

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

Hands up all those who are going to buy a new Ford Puma ........... not so fast Alex !!! 

put your hand down 😟     and now pull on the handbrake !

handbrake.JPG

Considered it earlier this year but I didnt like the " Handbrake" and the oval part of the gaiter surrounding the gear lever.  Looked like it was an after thought and reminds me of an old transit van.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2021 at 2:14 PM, Alex.S said:

Does automatic Puma have a manual handbrake? If so That’s a dealbreaker.   I need auto hold ! 

Of course the 7 speed DCT has auto hold on hills, don’t all modern cars? I have had my Puma Auto for 14 months now. Nothing to do with a manual handbrake, which I only use when in Neutral or Parked!

• Like 1

I keep looking at the Puma as a possible future vehicle. My reading of the brochure is that it has Hill Start Assist but not auto-hold - can be hard to tell on an auto anyway. Not particularly bothered about either feature tbh, so I haven't looked too hard I must admit!

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I keep looking at the Puma as a possible future vehicle. My reading of the brochure is that it has Hill Start Assist but not auto-hold - can be hard to tell on an auto anyway. Not particularly bothered about either feature tbh, so I haven't looked too hard I must admit!

I really cannot fault it, with adaptive cruise control with stop start (automatic only, drivers assistance pack) all you have to do is steer and leave everything else to the car 😀 You don’t even have to steer with lane centering switched on. So don’t worry about auto hold, the car drives itself!

2 hours ago, AncientFordOwner said:

Of course the 7 speed DCT has auto hold on hills, don’t all modern cars? I have had my Puma Auto for 14 months now. Nothing to do with a manual handbrake, which I only use when in Neutral or Parked!

Your getting mixed up between hill start assist and the black magic that is auto hold ? I don’t touch the park brake button unless I’m parking. Uphill, downhill, flat it’s holding at all times. I’m never in neutral 🤷‍♂️ 

Roger, auto hold is arguably the best feature on ford cars! On autos. Most manufacturers have it but it’s now a must have for me at least. 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Your getting mixed up between hill start assist and the black magic that is auto hold ? I don’t touch the park brake button unless I’m parking. Uphill, downhill, flat it’s holding at all times. I’m never in neutral 🤷‍♂️ 

The only time I am in neutral is waiting at traffic lights with the handbrake on. That’s my choice, I could leave it to the adaptive cruise with start stop then the car will brake accelerate hold and follow the car in front automatically. 

14 minutes ago, AncientFordOwner said:

The only time I am in neutral is waiting at traffic lights with the handbrake on.

With auto hold there’s no need to put it in neutral or engage the handbrake. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

With auto hold there’s no need to put it in neutral or engage the handbrake. 

Apologies if I have got it completely wrong (at my age that is highly likely). But it sounds like auto hold is a low tech version of what is available on the Puma in that it requires some action by the driver whereas it is completely automatic on the Puma. No need to touch the brake pedal or any buttons.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, AncientFordOwner said:

So don’t worry about auto hold, the car drives itself!

Lol, I don't want a car that drives itself. I'd rather save the money and use my senior pass and take the bus!😃

3 hours ago, Alex.S said:

auto hold is arguably the best feature on ford cars!

I wouldn't argue Alex, if you like it then that's fine by me!😃

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, I don't want a car that drives itself. I'd rather save the money and use my senior pass and take the bus!😃

I wouldn't argue Alex, if you like it then that's fine by me!😃

I’ll make an uneducated guess that your fiesta is a manual? 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club