Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus steering wheel upgrade

Garry002

There's a guy local who does the car mapping hoping he can activate cruise in mine 🤞

I think it's pretty straight forward, quite well documented in this forum.

If you have the confidence all you need is a laptop and a suitable (quality) OBD cable.

That's my only issue I haven't had a laptop in years I'm a lazy iPad user or I would give it a go 

• 2 months later...

It's took a while but managed to get the time to get it in the garage to get the steering wheel changed they got everything working but the cruise control they said the wiring is there but not the module would anybody be able to point me in the direction of which module I need to get? 🙄

There isn't a module needed. As long as you have the clockspring from a facelift model to go with the facelift steering wheel then it should just be a case of changing the settings in the central configuration to it having cruise control

11 hours ago, jlawes20389 said:

There isn't a module needed. As long as you have the clockspring from a facelift model to go with the facelift steering wheel then it should just be a case of changing the settings in the central configuration to it having cruise control

Yeah I thought that was the case after searching for hours online for a cruise control module and couldn't find one. 

Looks like I'm going to need to head back to the garage on Monday 

I would think that the garage would either not know or may not have the capability to activate it.

Have they said they've got the capability?

Edit: using a suitable cable and focccus, once the bcm has been read, line 23 needs changing to with cruise control and line 224 needs changing to with ASL. The changes then need writing back to the bcm.

After that, the ABS module needs to be initialised and this can be done in the ABS tab in focccus.

Once the changes have been done, there'll be quite a few dtc codes which will need to be cleared with something like forscan.

After that, cruise should work.

• Like 1

Yeah they said they have activated it but nothing happens when you press the buttons. I was hoping they were capable as they do all the mapping on cars but I'm getting the feeling they've maybe not done it right I'll need to get a hold of a laptop and a cable and have a look myself I think. 

They did say they had to program all the buttons on the new steering wheel to get them to work right does that sound right or should it have been plug and play with the new steering wheel and the matching clock spring?

thanks for the help 

As far as I am aware it is just a case of plug and play with the new clockspring once it has been activated in the central config of the car.

I have done cruise on two focuses and each time once the steering wheel was swapped, it worked straight away. Although that was not with the facelift one but I can't see any other reason as to why it won't work if they have done the right steps.

May be worth asking them for the specifics in how they say they have done it? What's software and what method? It might shed some light if they'll tell you.

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone,

Im sorry that im using this thread. Im looking for retrofitting steering wheel too. Im with ACC. Do i beed any additional settings after installation? Also can I get steerting wheel and clockspring from kuga and can I use my old sticks for wipers and turn signals? If steering wheel has heating, can i connect it to driver seat heating button, to work in same time?Thanks!

Do you know part number for buttons with ACC? I cant find anything...

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone, 

i have also upgraded my steering wheel from 2012 to 2016, but cant get the cruise to work and also the d-pad control is controlling my BVC radio/navigation and not the IPC, also my airbag light wont turn off and after hours of research could not find a fix for any of them. If anyone can assist or point me in the right direction would be great and much appreciated. 
my car is a Ford Focus 2012 2.0L petrol, german build but Australian version (steering wheel on right hand side), I have installed the wheel with 2016 lock steering. 

swapping steering wheels and then getting everything to work is not an easy task. Have a read of this post which explains the type of problems that have to be overcome.

• 4 months later...

Upgrading my mk3 Focus steering wheel to facelift or trying to but cannot get airbag to fully release by using screwdriver in the holes to release clips

It comes away 1/4 inch but won't budge any further as if still clipped or being held by another fixing or clip. 

Really appreciate any help with this 

Thanks

On 3/29/2023 at 7:16 PM, shawstvs1 said:

Upgrading my mk3 Focus steering wheel to facelift or trying to but cannot get airbag to fully release by using screwdriver in the holes to release clips

It comes away 1/4 inch but won't budge any further as if still clipped or being held by another fixing or clip. 

Really appreciate any help with this 

Thanks

Managed to remove airbag used Christmas tree fixing puller

All seemed OK, Sync buttons and cruise control working but left buttons not working with trip computer and after test drive ESP light came on and near impossible to drive

Bad clockspring or just settings in Forscan? Assumed it would plug n play as many seem to

Anyone ideas on what I need to do as garage is last resort

thanks

12 hours ago, shawstvs1 said:

after test drive ESP light came on and near impossible to drive

Sounds like the EPS motor isn't getting a steering angle feed.  Did you reset the steering angle sensor after changing the wheel?

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sounds like the EPS motor isn't getting a steering angle feed.  Did you reset the steering angle sensor after changing the wheel?

Yep

Reset but not changed anything wheel very light and no return pull at all get into second then power goes and have to shift back to first....

42 minutes ago, shawstvs1 said:

Yep

Reset but not changed anything wheel very light and no return pull at all get into second then power goes and have to shift back to first....

If it's very light that sounds more like it's missing the speed input.  It should be very light for parking but then get heavier the faster you drive.

Lacking power doesn't really sound like it's related to the steering.  Are there any codes on the PCM?

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

If it's very light that sounds more like it's missing the speed input.  It should be very light for parking but then get heavier the faster you drive.

Lacking power doesn't really sound like it's related to the steering.  Are there any codes on the PCM?

Codes in pcm, bcm, ipc and more I think

Got rid if error codes and drives OK by exchanging clockspring/switches for another one. Did reset everything to 0 again unless that did it.

Have two issues now, need to turn wheel a long way to turn left/right so something off and trip computer buttons on left of steering not working so can't access or change functions

Any ideas?

Cheers

Just now, shawstvs1 said:

Got rid if error codes and drives OK by exchanging clockspring/switches for another one. Did reset everything to 0 again unless that did it.

Have two issues now, need to turn wheel a long way to turn left/right so something off and trip computer buttons on left of steering not working so can't access or change functions

Any ideas?

Cheers

Old steering wheel controls all worked!

Ta

On 3/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, JPW said:

The left hand controls will control the trip computer, but you will lose the ability to control the original BVC/SYNC1 radio as these steering wheels are designed to work with SYNC 2/3 which is touchscreen. Most people who fit these steering wheels have already upgraded to SYNC 3 so it's fine.

My trip computer buttons don't work on upgrade steering wheel,  cruise/sync 3 controls all OK. Any ideas

Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club