Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my mild hybrid system working?

Had the car about 10 days.  I put the Hybrid Guage on screen a few days ago and when I slow etc it swings left into the green to show its capturing electricity.  I have not once see it swing right into the blue to show that the electric engine has kicked in.

Is it working?  How can I tell?

You know it's working when it swings into the blue as you described.

Mine does it up hills and sometimes on 'brisk' upchanges (especially accelerating on the 40mph ring road from a standstill), I didn't see it much around my estate at 30mph though. 

I'm not accelerating hard while running in so haven't seen it move from harsh acceleration alone so far, but it should also do it then.

I've only ever seen half of the blue gauge filled so far.

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You know it's working when it swings into the blue as you described.

Mine does it up hills and sometimes on 'brisk' upchanges (especially accelerating on the 40mph ring road from a standstill), I didn't see it much around my estate at 30mph though. 

I'm not accelerating hard while running in so haven't seen it move from harsh acceleration alone so far, but it should also do it then.

I've only ever seen half of the blue gauge filled so far.

I’ve never seen any blue at all!

2 minutes ago, Woodchal said:

I’ve never seen any blue at all!

Not quite sure how to ask this but...is your driving style quite 'sedate'? :biggrin: 

Seriously though, it will be driving style dependant so it might just b the type of roads you drive.  If it's all stop start town traffic on a flat road you're unlikely to see it.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not quite sure how to ask this but...is your driving style quite 'sedate'? :biggrin: 

Seriously though, it will be driving style dependant so it might just b the type of roads you drive.  If it's all stop start town traffic on a flat road you're unlikely to see it.

Probably quite sedate, but only when my wife is with me 😝!  I’ll have to check it out with more revs when I’m on my own.  However I had thought it was meant to come in as you were pulling away, improving acceleration at this end of the range too.

9 minutes ago, Woodchal said:

Probably quite sedate, but only when my wife is with me 😝!  I’ll have to check it out with more revs when I’m on my own.  However I had thought it was meant to come in as you were pulling away, improving acceleration at this end of the range too.

It will happen when pulling away, but only if you put your foot down haha!  

• Like 1

Ok, well I’m happy to report that it is now going into the blue, with no major difference in driving style.  🤔 could it be that it was after a few miles in driving with the mild hybrid going into the green (charging) that the system could give some back by swinging into the blue.

34 minutes ago, Woodchal said:

Ok, well I’m happy to report that it is now going into the blue, with no major difference in driving style.  🤔 could it be that it was after a few miles in driving with the mild hybrid going into the green (charging) that the system could give some back by swinging into the blue.

Yeah, maybe it just hadn't charged enough before.  I've seen mine several times today, seems to be more and more as time goes on.

You can get the bar to go all the way into blue if you give it full throttle for a few seconds 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MasterTechTip said:

You can get the bar to go all the way into blue if you give it full throttle for a few seconds 😉 

Possibly, but that was not my experience when I first got the car - it didn’t go into the blue at all!  Following earlier comments about a sedate driving style I tried that and nothing.  Then today after a longer trip and plenty of trips into the green it started making trips into blue - helping performance when accelerating from lowish speeds in 3/4 gear and then more generally.  I was speculating that it might be battery charge related - is that even possible?  If it is then perhaps a pre-delivery check should include a battery charge.

7 hours ago, Woodchal said:

Possibly, but that was not my experience when I first got the car - it didn’t go into the blue at all!  Following earlier comments about a sedate driving style I tried that and nothing.  Then today after a longer trip and plenty of trips into the green it started making trips into blue - helping performance when accelerating from lowish speeds in 3/4 gear and then more generally.  I was speculating that it might be battery charge related - is that even possible?  If it is then perhaps a pre-delivery check should include a battery charge.

Yeah more than likely the 48 volt battery was a bit down on power and needed some charge as you said. Unfortunately the 48 volt battery doesn't get checked on PDI and there is no battery tester for it that Ford supply. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodchal said:

Then today after a longer trip and plenty of trips into the green it started making trips into blue...

I was speculating that it might be battery charge related - is that even possible?

Don't forget it's not like a normal car battery which is always charged...with the MHEV battery you can only get out of it what you put in.  It needs a certain type of driving style to charge the battery, as well as to kick in the motor.

I think it could do with some sort of charge 'status' on the hybrid screen to show how much the battery is charged, rather than just whether it's charging or depleting.

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't forget it's not like a normal car battery which is always charged...with the MHEV battery you can only get out of it what you put in.  It needs a certain type of driving style to charge the battery, as well as to kick in the motor.

I think it could do with some sort of charge 'status' on the hybrid screen to show how much the battery is charged, rather than just whether it's charging or depleting.

Not a bad idea I'll put it forward and see what sort of reaction it gets

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had my Puma Titanium less than a week before I got all sorts of warning lights come on, back to the dealer today seems it was a loose connection. Seen the Blue arc for the first time and left me wondering was the battery charging ? and was that the reason for the warning lights ? Owners manual should be updated to explain more.

• 2 months later...

Try it in SportMode. It regenerates and uses the hybrid power much more.

• 2 weeks later...

You must be dipping the clutch as soon as you start braking to stop, the system can't charge if you dip the clutch.

It's quite a different driving style having to leave the clutch engaged until you nearly stop

• 1 month later...

I have seen mine swing to charge and right to boost, but i have two symbols directly under the speedometer which i do not know what they are.

They are not always on

Can anyone help please

St line X 

oct 2021

Hi Garry, without a description of the symbols it is difficult to comment but as a shot is the dark are they economical driving hints like a green foot on a pedal asking you to brake sooner?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Paul, There is a green foot but also a Y shape icon and a lightning type symbol.

23 minutes ago, Garry Froggatt said:

Y shape icon

does it look a bit like this ?

I think the @StephenFord may know what it is 😉

flux capacitor.JPG

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

does it look a bit like this ?

I think the @StephenFord may know what it is 😉

AAhhh yes, the old Flux Capacitor, though I believe there is a shortage of 'flux' at the minute - I blame Brexit 🤣

1056498468_fluxcapacitor.thumb.jpg.126e01b286d5dc3e92d28d2203541a78.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Garry Froggatt said:

Yes Paul, There is a green foot but also a Y shape icon and a lightning type symbol.

The Y shaped icon tells you you're approaching a junction, it's a suggestion to lift off the throttle.  The 'lightening' symbol, if it's in the same place, is an S bend, although it seems to suggest roundabouts over here.  (US system I think!)

Upgraded to a mild-hybrid today. Not seen it go into the blue much.

One thing that is going to take some getting used to is when coasting (charging the battery) the car feels like it is applying the brakes. Do you get used to that quickly? It feels a lot different to my previous focus (same model but petrol)

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise I on the Puma forum.

2 hours ago, Focus21 said:

One thing that is going to take some getting used to is when coasting (charging the battery) the car feels like it is applying the brakes. Do you get used to that quickly? 

Did 100 miles in mine and didn't get used to the regen braking.  I don't want another hybrid because of it.  But I am very sensitive to ride/control.  Other people seem to get used to it...

On 12/1/2021 at 7:53 PM, TomsFocus said:

Did 100 miles in mine and didn't get used to the regen braking.  I don't want another hybrid because of it.  But I am very sensitive to ride/control.  Other people seem to get used to it...

I find it helps to slow down just enough in many situations without having to use the brakes as much - I like it.  It’s even more accentuated in Sport mode.