Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my mild hybrid system working?

Hi, I have just taken ownership of a Ford Puma ST-LINE 1.0 hybrid and I am confused by the hybrid gauge on the instrument cluster. I have been told 2 conflicting things (By Ford salesman) regarding its meaning. I was told it meant the electric motor and another said it was the petrol engine. 

I was told the blue side is the petrol engine kicking in but when I have the window down I can clearly hear an electric motor. I presume the blue side is the electric motor operating? 

26 minutes ago, Mr Lindsay Darby said:

I was told the blue side is the petrol engine kicking in but when I have the window down I can clearly hear an electric motor. I presume the blue side is the electric motor operating? 

Did the nice salesman not show you how to access the online 'owners manual'?

• Haha 1

Now Stephen behave yourself !! You told me that you have to go easy on 'Budding Enthusiast's' 🤣

OK, so here is the online manual:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/CG3833en-202108-20220131091737.pdf

If you have a Mild Hybrid it doesn't have an electric motor to directly drive the wheels. The system is only 48 volts and powers a small (often just the starter) electric motor to assist the petrol engine. They are not the same as Hybrid vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, unofix said:

Now Stephen behave yourself !! You told me that you have to go easy on 'Budding Enthusiast's' 🤣

Thank you for that slap on the wrist LOL I needed that! 😅 In that spirit, I believe the bit in the manual that is relevant is p124...

• Haha 1

I can't see anywhere explaining the gauge operation in the manual?  Just how to turn it on or off...

Anyway, the right hand side (blue) is when the electric motor is giving boost.  The left hand side (green) shows when the motor is charging the hybrid battery

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unofix said:

They are not the same as Hybrid vehicles.

Yes, Ford or their dealers don't seem to have done a very good job at making this clear. Several posters seem to have been given the impression that it works like, say, a Toyota hybrid (FHEV) which can run on electric power only, provided it has enough charge of course. This animation perhaps makes it a bit clearer:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This animation perhaps makes it a bit clearer:

What an exciting video, I could barely take my eyes off it 🤣

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You are in a mischievous mood today 🤣🤣 It must be those pesky Covid bugs winding you up !!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, Ford or their dealers don't seem to have done a very good job at making this clear. Several posters seem to have been given the impression that it works like, say, a Toyota hybrid (FHEV) which can run on electric power only, provided it has enough charge of course. This animation perhaps makes it a bit clearer:

That should help a few people get a little better understanding of Mild Hybrids. Although the video at first glance gives an impression of an electric motor turning the wheels until you look carefully and see that it is in fact just connected to the engine. I wounder just how much it improves the overall emissions when you take in to consideration all the extra technology needed. How long will it be before the systems fail because the battery has worn out ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, unofix said:

You are in a mischievous mood today 🤣🤣 It must be those pesky Covid bugs winding you up !!

I am getting a bit stir crazy sitting in the house LOL 😄

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, unofix said:

I wonder just how much it improves the overall emissions when you take in to consideration all the extra technology needed. How long will it be before the systems fail because the battery has worn out ?

Makes virtually no difference to real world emissions.  That's partly why hybrids won't be allowed after 2030...because manufacturers would just continue with this 'mild' loophole.

The flip side for customers though, the electric boost is fantastic for torque!  It really is a game changer on the 1.0EB. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That's partly why hybrids won't be allowed after 2030...because manufacturers would just continue with this 'mild' loophole.

Yes, I got the impression the MHEV was more of a cynical attempt to bypass the ICE ban which has backfired somewhat.

Governments have yet to clarify exactly what hybrids will be allowed in the 2030-35 period, I believe Toyota are still arguing that their FHEVs should be allowed.

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I agree, "Top Gun" it ain't!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Interested in the above chain as I was wondering if my hybrid was kicking in as it should. Got a new Puma ST Line X a couple of weeks ago. On the last one I had (I traded it in), I was getting 49mpg. On the new one its more like 43. Might this improve or should I speak to the garage? Have done 500 miles in it.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, AliL said:

Interested in the above chain as I was wondering if my hybrid was kicking in as it should. Got a new Puma ST Line X a couple of weeks ago. On the last one I had (I traded it in), I was getting 49mpg. On the new one its more like 43. 

I suspect this may have something to do with the fact that during the last 2 weeks the UK has been experiencing the lowest temperatures in over 10 years, not conducive to good economy. Hopefully the mpg should improve if things ever warm up.

Note that the Puma is only a mild hybrid and the system does not "kick in" as it does on a full hybrid (such as a Toyota Corolla) which will run on electricity only (for short distances) provided that the battery is charged. On the Puma the electric motor only ever assists the petrol engine, providing more torque at lower speeds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

the lowest temperatures in over 10 years, not conducive to good economy. Hopefully the mpg should improve if things ever warm up.

This reminded me the weather was pretty similar on the day I collected my current car (see pic). Not quite as chilly as today, but the cold weather then persisted for some weeks. My first tankful returned a less than inspiring 36mpg or so, but rapidly improved with better weather to mid to high 40s!

IMG_20180301_164356.jpg

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I suspect this may have something to do with the fact that during the last 2 weeks the UK has been experiencing the lowest temperatures in over 10 years,

Ah !!

It's global warming don't you know 🤣

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

This is very strange, but have you tried resetting the battery Management System (BMS)? This fixed the mHEV for me. It used to work only if I pressed the throttle very deep, negating any positive effect it would have on my fuel consumption. But after the BMS reset, it works as it should.

The procedure is described in your user manual. On my 2022/2023 Focus it went like this:

• Power on (do not start).
  • Pull and release the high beam stalk 5 times.
  • Press and release the brake pedal 3 times.
  • Wait. The battery light will flash 3 times.
  • Power off. The BMS is now reset.

If it does work, spread the word.

8 minutes ago, Don MC said:

This is very strange, but have you tried resetting the Battery Management System (BMS)?

I'm just curious. The original poster had this issue one and a half years ago. Do you still assume he is still hanging round for a solution? :biggrin:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I'm just curious. The original poster had this issue one and a half years ago. Do you still assume he is still hanging round for a solution? :biggrin:

No, but from what I've heard I'm not the only one with this problem. It is a wide spread bug in the mHEV system. My problem was present in my brand new car when I received it on January 10th 2023, so the problem seems to still be ongoing. Some people over at the Finnish Ford forum have reported back that a BMS reset has fixed it for them.

So it this will help anyone with the problem and not just the OP, then it might be worth it. Besides, the last post before mine was just one and a half months ago.

• Like 2

The PDI should include a full battery charge/conditioning. Some of these Pumas have been stood around for weeks if not months. In parking lots, at the docks and stuck in Dagenham. If the dealer won't do it give your new car a weekend boost with a good quality  battery charger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rizmo said:

The PDI should include a full battery charge/conditioning. Some of these Pumas have been stood around for weeks if not months. In parking lots, at the docks and stuck in Dagenham. If the dealer won't do it give your new car a weekend boost with a good quality  battery charger.

Oh yes. Forgot to mention that. I did a full charge the night before.

EDIT: Can no longer edit my previous post. I would have added a mention of that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club