Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 MHEV Digital Dash Warning Signs

TomsFocus

So, I've seen these odd signs a few times now and can't work them out.

They're below the speed readout inside the speedo ring and only seem to come up alongside the green 'foot-off' warning at junctions.  They're circles like road signs but completely grey, seen one with a 'bendy' line, and the other with a Y shaped fork, both have arrows at the top end.  Can't find them in the manual.  Any idea what they're meant to mean? :g:

I think that is meant to be a wheel! The lines on it mean it taking power from the mHEV battery and the fork means it's lunch time.... I could be wrong. :smile:

• Haha 1

Thanks for the suggestion but it's definitely not that.  The signs sort of look like rallying suggestions on a console...bendy road ahead, fork ahead...but firstly what use is that in the middle of town, and secondly how does it know!?

Should add, I think the green 'foot-off' is for the brake, the autohold saying "It's ok bro, I got you" to use modern terms... :laugh: 

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Is it on pg 156 of the Vignale manual?

gauges.JPG

Nope, it's not those.  The title may have been misleading, it's not necessarily MHEV related, but I think they're the only ones with the digital dash so far?

On the subject of the manual...mines still perfectly sealed in the cellophane, I've been using the one on the FordPass app instead! :biggrin: 

But happy with the new car otherwise?

• Like 1

Worked it out! 

(Thanks to @CorsairL for their post on my wall too)

It's a suggestion to lift off the throttle because of an upcoming 'hazard' for want of a better word.  Starts with a white foot, and then changes to green if you keep your foot down.

Bendy line must be suggesting a twisty road ahead (either from front facing camera or GPS).  This Y shape indicates a junction which is why I've seen it in town a few times.

605832897_Screenshot_20210326-1533092.thumb.png.5c3c80b4220a5e6d5956f77bc2aa4eda.png

28 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

But happy with the new car otherwise?

The car itself is lovely...I've not been well this week though so not able to drive it far yet or enjoy it so far.  Passed the 50 mile mark today though, reset trip when I got it and have averaged 45mpg since which is bang on what I expected.

180857526_Screenshot_20210326-1534002.thumb.png.7ee3657be82cb1fccd8807d3d4071589.png

45mpg before the engine is broken in is really good I would have thought.

Are you driving it really carefully for the first 1000 miles?..... I mean, judging by all the warning symbols I'm guessing not! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Anubis said:

45mpg before the engine is broken in is really good I would have thought.

Are you driving it really carefully for the first 1000 miles?..... I mean, judging by all the warning symbols I'm guessing not! :laugh:

I think they're built to such tight tolerances now that it won't make much difference but we'll see!  I've zero'd Trip 2 at 50 miles and intend to leave that one for my whole ownership now.  Trip 1 I'll reset everytime I brim the tank.

I'm just driving normally tbh, but no hard acceleration, and haven't gone above 4k so far.  I'm not actively trying to drive carefully though.

@TomsFocusthe foot indicator with the arrows is for economy. When it's grey it's telling you to lift the throttle slightly to maintain speed and increase fuel economy. When it changes colour to blue or green (models vary) you are using the right amount of throttle. 

As for the other symbol I have no idea 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

@TomsFocusthe foot indicator with the arrows is for economy. When it's grey it's telling you to lift the throttle slightly to maintain speed and increase fuel economy. When it changes colour to blue or green (models vary) you are using the right amount of throttle. 

As for the other symbol I have no idea 😂

Thanks, but I've already worked it out as in the post above lol.  When accompanied by the grey symbol it's an economy suggestion showing something ahead that you'll have to slow down for (either a junction or an S bend so far, hazard wasn't really the correct word).  I've tested it by purposely continuing to hold 30mph towards junctions and can force it on every time. :smile: 

@MasterTechTip While you're here, have you noticed much noise difference between the 1.0EB's with and without the engine cover?  It seems to have been dropped at the end of last year, presumably for costs alone.  Mine is very loud on acceleration and just wondered if the engine cover would help...seems mad with all the 'lux' on the Vignale that I'm stuck listening to this racket lol.  I briefly had a 1.5 Dragon last year which definitely had that 3 cylinder sound, but I don't remember it being so loud in the cabin!

My Dragon 1.5 is really quiet. Not sure if having engine cover is a factor. I’d guess it probably is. As for 45mpg , it’s alright but I’d expect a mild hybrid to do much better. If it’s anything like the Dragon it’ll be very economical on the motorway. 
Sounds like your liking your Mk4 , good thing when you’ve bought without driving one! Like I did. Big gamble 

• Like 1

Mild hybrid is just a gimmick really, I'm not expecting it to save any fuel compared to a normal EcoBoost.

Interesting thought though...my first car was a 1.4 petrol 306...only 75bhp but did the same 45mpg lol.  Petrol was 99p a litre back then though! 😮

13 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

the foot indicator with the arrows is for economy. When it's grey it's telling you to lift the throttle slightly to maintain speed and increase fuel economy. When it changes colour to blue or green (models vary) you are using the right amount of throttle.

Another useless gimmick like the gearchange indicator on my Mk3. I ignore it and prefer to keep my eyes on the road. Personally I think distracting indications like this are a safety hazard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjt said:

Another useless gimmick like the gearchange indicator on my Mk3. I ignore it and prefer to keep my eyes on the road.

Doing 37mph in 4th earlier and it was suggesting 6th! 😮  Tried it briefly, wondering if it knew something I didn't...but it wasn't happy and the generator was having to add torque until I dropped back to 4th again. :rolleyes: 

What's worrying is that 'non car' people with no mechanical sympathy may be following it to a T! :unsure:

• Like 1

Is this the eco guide your taking about? I had to google it! How does it know what’s ahead? 
I use eco coach , very simple tech I’m sure yous are aware of. 

6 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Is this the eco guide your taking about? I had to google it! How does it know what’s ahead? 
I use eco coach , very simple tech I’m sure yous are aware of. 

Not sure what it's called as it's not in the manual.  It's not the same as the Eco Coach though.

I'm guessing it uses GPS and/or the forward facing camera to see what's ahead.  It's not particularly varied...it seems to be classing roundabouts as S bends. :laugh: 

oil life indicator has just popped up on the FordPass app.  Thought I read on here that had been removed?  It wasn't there initially lol!

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Oil life indicator has just popped up on the FordPass app.  Thought I read on here that had been removed?  It wasn't there initially lol!

It's still there on our Ford pass app. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Doing 37mph in 4th earlier and it was suggesting 6th! 😮  Tried it briefly, wondering if it knew something I didn't...but it wasn't happy and the generator was having to add torque until I dropped back to 4th again. :rolleyes: 

What's worrying is that 'non car' people with no mechanical sympathy may be following it to a T!

I've found that if I run in a lower gear than the indicator suggests the instantaneous mpg is higher so if it's supposed to giver better fuel economy it plainly isn't working. Also even though it's doing more bangs per mile if it's using less fuel it must be producing fewer emissions as well.

• Like 1

@TomsFocuscan't say I have noticed a difference. I'd like to think the engine cover does suppress the sound a bit. 

Thanks for the update on the weird arrows 👍

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 2:09 PM, TomsFocus said:

Oil life indicator has just popped up on the FordPass app

I’ve got oil life on the app. 
17,436 mi 

8% remaining 

Est. Date May 05, 2021

Est. Distance 1250

first service is on Tuesday. Looks like oil life is set for 20,000 mi 🤔 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

I’ve got oil life on the app. 
17,436 mi 

8% remaining 

Est. Date May 05, 2021

Est. Distance 1250

first service is on Tuesday. Looks like oil life is set for 20,000 mi 🤔 

My app says it's 'intelligent' but will wait and see!  In theory it should drop to 99% at 200 miles if not! 🤔

• Like 1