Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Automatic headlights

BiggyS

Evening all,

I recently purchased a 2017 Mondeo ST line and didn’t realise it didn’t have automatic headlights.  However, I nipped out somewhere tonight, got out of the car but left the lights on, the warning beeping started as expected but when I looked back, my lights weren’t on.  Started my car on and on came the lights.  My question is that even though the car doesn’t have automatic lights, it appears as if they do go off and come back on automatically, will the battery run out?

It's fine to leave them like this, obviously your headlights will come on everyone you start the car. I think if you leave them on in the sidelight settings they will stay on though 

• Like 3

Auto lights, from my experience, is standard on the STline. What does your dial look like? Do you have Facebook? I admin a very active Mk5 page that you may find beneficial to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/693277794183606/?ref=share

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

Auto lights, from my experience, is standard on the STline. What does your dial look like? Do you have Facebook? I admin a very active Mk5 page that you may find beneficial to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/693277794183606/?ref=share

Cheers. I have requested to join. 

the dial just shows off, sidelights and headlamps. The warning sound made me think it’s not auto lights but hopefully I can just leave them on without draining the battery

Quite safe to leave the switch in the headlight ON position, it will not drain your battery as the ignition kills the supply to them when you switch off.

Auto headlights is now standard on all cars in Europe and the UK as it is now a legal requirment.

• 2 months later...

My 2012 mk4 has daytime running lights but I am another person who didn't check for 'auto' function of headlamps. 

My wife's older (57plate) Focus ghia has this seperate selectable function, whereas my Mondeo just has OFF, SIDELIGHTS, HEADLIGHTS. 

Whilst as mentioned above, you can switch to headlamps and leave it there, ignition on-lights on, ignition off-lights off, but can my car be upgraded/modified to make use of auto function? 

*my car is 2012 2.0TDCI Business Edition if that helps/makes any difference. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club