Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number plates

Andyr55

My ford dealer has advised that number plates on my new car must be screwed to the car. I would prefer sticky pads. 

is there a legal requirement here. I have checked WWW and cannot find anything.

any experts with sensible comments? 

No legal requirement as far as I'm aware.  May be a security regulation about plates taking X amount of time to steal I guess.

Definitely get them get stuck on though, supply your own pads if they won't supply them...all I can see from my window is the damn shiny screws sticking though my plates.  :rolleyes:  I would have upgraded to gel plats but they're illegal now. :sad: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

No legal requirement as far as I'm aware.  May be a security regulation about plates taking X amount of time to steal I guess.

Definitely get them get stuck on though, supply your own pads if they won't supply them...all I can see from my window is the damn shiny screws sticking though my plates.  :rolleyes:  I would have upgraded to gel plats but they're illegal now. :sad: 

Try some screw caps 😉👍

A lot of new Ford's have captive nuts to screw the plates to, mine had personally I prefer the screws had too many plates fall of with the pads

4 minutes ago, Morty1977 said:

Try some screw caps 😉👍

The caps go under the screws I think, they're security screws and not easy to remove and refit.  Plus that would still ruin the 'clean' look that you get with pads.

I've been using pads for nearly a decade and never lost a plate yet.  You do get what you pay for though, the thin white ones are useless on the front.  Thick grey ones don't come off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The caps go under the screws I think, they're security screws and not easy to remove and refit.  Plus that would still ruin the 'clean' look that you get with pads.

I've been using pads for nearly a decade and never lost a plate yet.  You do get what you pay for though, the thin white ones are useless on the front.  Thick grey ones don't come off.

Pads have always been dealer fitted and failed, yes the thick ones are best, the screws don't bother me I cans see them😀

6 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Pads have always been dealer fitted and failed, yes the thick ones are best, the screws don't bother me I cant see them😀

Maybe you need a stronger prescription? :biggrin:

I guess most people wouldn't be bothered by them...but how would you feel if the bumpers had been screwed on with visible screws?  Or if the door hinges were on the outside?  Cars go through extensive design stages nowadays just for all those lovely flat smooth lines to be ruined in 20 seconds with a couple of shiny plate screws.  Which will rust in a couple of years at roughly the same rate the plate delaminates from water getting in around them.  And don't get me started on plates aren't screwed on straight! :laugh: 

3 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

My ford dealer has advised that number plates on my new car must be screwed to the car. I would prefer sticky pads. 

is there a legal requirement here. I have checked WWW and cannot find anything.

any experts with sensible comments? 

Tell them you taken their advice on board and still want the plate stuck on your car and not screwed.

Use good quality tape and they’ll be fine, had mine stuck on for 4 years now, and they’ll be harder to remove than if they were screwed on.

24 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Tell them you taken their advice on board and still want the plate stuck on your car and not screwed.

Use good quality tape and they’ll be fine, had mine stuck on for 4 years now, and they’ll be harder to remove than if they were screwed on.

A bit bit of nylon line down the back and they are off in seconds.

23 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

A bit bit of nylon line down the back and they are off in seconds.

2 screws take even less

6 hours ago, MarksST said:

2 screws take even less

Not when they have seized 😄

• Like 1

Hammer and chisel then.

the guy wants his plates stuck on, probably because they look better like that, that’s in peoples opinion, some people don’t care what it looks like. Just because yours fell off when stuck on doesn’t mean others will.

as he’s not mentioned possibility of the plates being stolen not sure why you’ve gone done that line, if you need to use nylon line to get mine off then they’re not falling off like yours did.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club