Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Break Pads

Aaron Harris

Hi all,

I have got a Focus MK3 ST and the front breaks need replacing in the near future. 

Wanted to know what non standard Ford ones people would recommend. 

thanks 

Aaron

If you're having no trouble with your current disc/pad setup then I'd honestly just stick with genuine Ford all round.

If you really want an upgrade then the EBC yellow stuff are good for fast road use.

22 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

If you're having no trouble with your current disc/pad setup then I'd honestly just stick with genuine Ford all round.

If you really want an upgrade then the EBC yellow stuff are good for fast road use.

I would have to agree, I spent 10 years looking for that elusive brake upgrade to my Celica GT4, near the end, I just reverted to Toyota standard fitment, and the performance was excellent!

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

Ford ones leave so much break dust I have heard that after market ones are a lot better and less break dust. 

I have used EBC discs and pads on all of our cars with no problems. From an old Metro to an Impreza. The pads are kinder to discs and supposed to produce less dust than others.

If you don't go for EBC, then certainly buy well known names, Mintex, Ferodo, Pagid, Brembo, etc.

12 hours ago, Aaron Harris said:

Ford ones leave so much break dust I have heard that after market ones are a lot better and less break dust. 

Having pad dust is better than them just eating away at the discs.

EBC are always a well-known and reliable option, sometimes it's just better sticking with OEM.

https://ebcbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/

Next we start on the "brake grease or no break grease debate!!"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VFR800 said:

Next we start on the "brake grease or no break grease debate!!"

Yes ceratec grease unless the pads come with special shims or you like squeaks 🐭

• Like 2

I have always used copper slip on the back of pads and contact points. Never had any problems, however I have read you shouldn't use metallic grease, and use Ceratec instead. Not sure what to use on slider pins though.

28 minutes ago, Jim H said:

I have always used copper slip on the back of pads and contact points. Never had any problems, however I have read you shouldn't use metallic grease, and use Ceratec instead. Not sure what to use on slider pins though.

Copper slip conducts heat so being on the back of brake pads is not the best idea. The best grease for slider pins would be Dielectric Grease/Silicone Paste/Waterproof Marine Grease.

Another thought. When should I change the break discs? 

is it right that the front should measure 24mm when new and 22mm when they need changing and rear 12.5mm new and 10.5mm need changing. 

Ford have only highlighted that the pads need doing in and not mentioned the discs. 

5 hours ago, Aaron Harris said:

Another thought. When should I change the break discs? 

is it right that the front should measure 24mm when new and 22mm when they need changing and rear 12.5mm new and 10.5mm need changing. 

Ford have only highlighted that the pads need doing in and not mentioned the discs. 

Sounds about the right tolerances. Most people just change them when there's a lip.

If you're doing it yourself then I tend to have a look at the disc and see how bad the lip is around the edge and check for any grooves. If they're fine I'll just buy pads.

If you're sending it to a garage then you may aswell get new discs too. The cost of them will be nowhere near the labour cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Sounds about the right tolerances. Most people just change them when there's a lip.

If you're doing it yourself then I tend to have a look at the disc and see how bad the lip is around the edge and check for any grooves. If they're fine I'll just buy pads.

If you're sending it to a garage then you may aswell get new discs too. The cost of them will be nowhere near the labour cost.

I am going to do it my self so I will have a look before hand.

Thanks