Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking on rear of Mk1 Focus

Tumpintom69

Hi, I have a light knocking at the back of my focus over small bumps and ripples. I've had new shocks, new top mounts and new anti roll bar links. Its not the boot lock as it is coming from both sides. Its driving me insane. Mechanics have looked over it saying there's no problem they can see. Anyone have any ideas?

If the rear links still have play they will still knock. Also can be a worn exhaust mount, rear trailing arm bushes or anti rollbar bushes. Get the car high up at the back and get a crowbar and do some jiggling. To try and pinpoint the noise you can open the hatch and bounce the car from the opening before getting under there. 

• Like 2

I had a mechanic do exactly that today with the crowbar. He said he can't see any movement in anything. If there was an inner top mount I would say it wold be that. When he put on the new shocks and top mounts it went for a bit then came back. I put on some ST wheels and the harder ride made it much worse. Now he's put the links on its slightly better but still there.

I would bet my house on it being rear trailing arm bushes

• Like 1

On that note I'll take a closer look at those. Thankyou  🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 6:35 PM, Tumpintom69 said:

On that note I'll take a closer look at those. Thankyou  🙂

Any news?

• 2 weeks later...

Took it to an independent garage and said I don't care what it costs just sort it. They can't find anything wrong. I also work at a garage and they can't find anything wrong!

If nothing can be found, you now need to start looking into something that is rolling around in the boot or the likes of.... etc etc

Honestly It's a knocking coming from either side. More like a clacking. Easily drowned out with windows open and light music. My next thing to check is boot arm joints 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club