Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MHEV 125bhp 2020 loud shakey engine

omoorex

Hello i am new to ford ... the car arrived with 5 miles on the clock .. from the first drive the engine seems very loud and vibrates the whole car ? is this normal ? i had a diesel merc before and this seems much noisier then that ever did ! Also no matter how gentle i am on the clutch it feels not right like its going to stall ? in the first 3 gears ?  Any help much appreciated :)

It's only a 3 cylinder engine so will sound a little rougher than a traditional 4 pot. That being said the 1.0L engine usually purrs like a kitten when idling.

Diesels are generally much harder to stall than petrols, maybe that's why you're having issues?

Perhaps a video of what's happening would help, but without sounding like a knob, it sounds like this is driver error.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply! I can understand a little vibration etc but it just seems so off... I drive diesel Luton vans for work and they are quiter and there is less vibration then I am getting from this. 

I have just swapped a 2019 polo for a 69 plate fiesta vignale 125 hp . The car is way more noisier than the polo , maybe I expected too much refinement from a top of the range fiesta ?

The trim level doesn't change the engine tbf.

I've got the same issue in a Focus Vignale...  I think there's something 'louder' about the new type 1.0EB engine maybe?  Mine doesn't bog/stall though, it'll happily pull away on the clutch alone even.  Or maybe I'm just a better driver?  (No, definitely not that haha!)

How many miles have you done so far?  Mine did quieten a little around 60 miles, but it's still louder in the cabin than my diesel Golf was. :sad: 

• Like 1

Haha I would go with the better driver! Only done 100 miles maybe it's normal i just would have thought such a small engine would be quite 

Only driven an MHEV in a Puma, but I didn't feel it was as "sweet" as the earlier version I have in my 140. Definitely sounded "rortier" at low revs, but certainly not as noisy as a diesel!

Mine is very smooth and quiet at tickover and on light throttle (inside the car at least - underbonnet the engine leaps around all over the place and sounds like a bag of spanners!).

Like Tom's, mine will happily pull away on the clutch alone (maybe we're both amazing drivers!😀)

• Like 1

Haha! I think it's all normal I just expected a bit too much! Maybe the Mrs was right all this time? I am a terrible driver? Haha 

• Haha 1

Mines a 17 plate 1 litre Ecoboost.   It's the quietest car I've ever had.   Wouldn't be the first time I've gone to get out of the car without switching off.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, omoorex said:

Haha I would go with the better driver! Only done 100 miles maybe it's normal i just would have thought such a small engine would be quite 

Would hope everything had settled in by 100 miles.  I think it probably is normal as a few of us seem to have the same noise on the same engine. 

What sort of RPM are you changing gear at out of interest?  You will need to rev it higher than your diesel Merc but I guess you know that anyway lol.

Around 2.5 3k the merc was auto I think it's just a case of getting used to it tbh! It's brilliant on fuel so far 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, omoorex said:

It's brilliant on fuel so far 

What's your average?  I'm still averaging 45mpg, though in a heavier Focus and with the 155ps version (get my excuses in early :wink: ).

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What's your average?  I'm still averaging 45mpg, though in a heavier Focus and with the 155ps version (get my excuses in early :wink: ).

That's almost as much as our diesel returns on a daily basis 46.4mpg atm. 🤣

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wino said:

That's almost as much as our diesel returns on a daily basis 46.4mpg atm. 🤣

How is yours so bad?  I've got 35 more beeaytchpeas too! :tongue:

2.0 TDI Golf was averaging 50mpg under lockdown so I was expecting 45mpg from the 1.0EB.  I didn't buy it for economy...I would have happily bought a bigger petrol if they'd bothered to put one in! :laugh: 

I have also left the AC on permanently in the Focus...I stopped using it in the Golf due to the horrendous smell lol, tried cleaning and a new filter but never could fix it!

The mrs has the 155 mhev stlx and it doesn't seem excessively noisy compared to my standard 140 stlx.

The mhev certainly doesn't bog down or want to stall when pulling away, it is like the proverbial crap off of a stick when moving up the first 3 gears.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

How is yours so bad?  I've got 35 more beeaytchpeas too! :tongue:

2.0 TDI Golf was averaging 50mpg under lockdown so I was expecting 45mpg from the 1.0EB.  I didn't buy it for economy...I would have happily bought a bigger petrol if they'd bothered to put one in! :laugh: 

I have also left the AC on permanently in the Focus...I stopped using it in the Golf due to the horrendous smell lol, tried cleaning and a new filter but never could fix it!

Probably because it's such short journeys to and from work with a bit of sport mode thrown in at the wacky races roundabout 🤣

Its overall mpg sits at 52.2 since we've had the car. 8000 miles ish out of the 11600 it's done.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

around 45 at the minute which is amazing! My auto merc was around 28 32 around town  so much better ! i leased a t roc r that was a nightmare ! 11mpg and then kept breaking !

• Like 2

I'm only getting 40 mpg at the moment but all short journeys under lockdown doesn't help.

• Like 1

I was driving very careful to get 45! What do you get on a long journey? 

I was driving very careful to get 45! What do you get on a long journey? 

57 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I'm only getting 40 mpg at the moment but all short journeys under lockdown doesn't help.

I filled up for the first time since December 14th the other day, so certainly not been doing much driving under lockdown, either! That tankful worked out at only 39mpg using the usual "brim to brim" method. In normal times averaged 45 or so, seen 52/53 when touring around on holiday (I wish!😀).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club