Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK3 Focus Leak / Drip at rear - confused!

Kofigc

Hi,

I’ve seen many posts about leaks on the MK3 focus relating to the spare wheel well filling with water and seeping through the noise dampening / seats. My issue however does not appear to be this though as my carpets and seats have not felt wet nor do I have water in the wheel well although I will look again tomorrow as it’s been particularly rainy tonight. 

Issue: I’ve noticed a drip / leak of fluid coming from the rear of the vehicle when the car is pointed downhill eg rear is on higher ground than the front. The fluid appears to be clear other than a bit grubby when collected on finger but I think that is from dirt that is on the bottom of the car. There is no odour and there is no notable chemical taste (it’s not sweet either). 

Stuck my head under the rear bumper today and on the drivers side it seemed the water was dripping down from a wiring loom or potentially originating above it and travelling down via the wiring?! 

I have predominantly noticed the drip / leak at the drivers side although there was some on the passenger side too.

first pic is under the back of the car on drivers side:  9E50BDE3-C79C-4548-B4FF-6860EB2F33E7.thumb.jpeg.3c44495a43116098cbc59cdad9949439.jpeg

second pic is under back of car on passenger side:

1D9C091A-911B-43FA-84CE-95EEB399FCD7.thumb.jpeg.39f2ed3436d50d96660a5385c3106698.jpeg

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

Craig 

In your first pic it looks like someone has removed the bung from that round hole in the red painted metal. If you shove your finger in that hole is it full of soaking wet sound absorbing material? If so this is the standard leak from the vents behind the bumper which fill that cavity with water. With the bung out there won't be enough water accumulating to fill up the spare wheel well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pcaouolte said:

In your first pic it looks like someone has removed the bung from that round hole in the red painted metal. If you shove your finger in that hole is it full of soaking wet sound absorbing material? If so this is the standard leak from the vents behind the bumper which fill that cavity with water. With the bung out there won't be enough water accumulating to fill up the spare wheel well.

When I looked back over the photos last night I did think it was odd that there was a hole on one side and not the other but didn’t think anything further of it. I’ll get under there and stick my finger in to see what I can find! 

thank you for looking and suggesting what it could be. If there is soaking wet material there or if there isn’t would you recommend I go ahead and remove the bumper to sort the vents anyway?

I think it’s likely that hole is where the water is coming from now I know there should be a bung in it! 

Yes that exactly what the problem is. I have temp removed my bungs until I get time in the summer to remove the bumper and fix my vents and this works as a temporary fix. If you remove the other one you are likely to get soaked. 

9 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Yes that exactly what the problem is. I have temp removed my bungs until I get time in the summer to remove the bumper and fix my vents and this works as a temporary fix. If you remove the other one you are likely to get soaked. 

As in I should not remove the bung at the back on the passenger side? 

1 minute ago, Kofigc said:

As in I should not remove the bung at the back on the passenger side? 

No you should it will release all the water and keep it out until you fix the vents. 

2 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

No you should it will release all the water and keep it out until you fix the vents. 

Got you, sorry! I thought you meant I would get soaked if I did remove the other one instead of if I don’t remove it I’m likely to get soaked.

Thanks! 

Once I’ve explored the hole I may remove the other bung and see if that stops there being so much of a drip / leak occurring when I’m parked. 

2 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Got you, sorry! I thought you meant I would get soaked if I did remove the other one instead of if I don’t remove it I’m likely to get soaked.

Thanks! 

Once I’ve explored the hole I may remove the other bung and see if that stops there being so much of a drip / leak occurring when I’m parked. 

• Like 1

When you remove the other bung be prepared for a couple of litres of stagnant water to run up your arm and drip off your elbow. 🙂 The sound absorbing padding will hold onto quite a bit of water in that cavity, keeping it wet inside where there is not much paint and causing it to rust. Its not a job that needs doing immediately, wait for a nice day, but don't leave it permanently without fixing the cause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 9:43 AM, pcaouolte said:

So I have shoved a finger in the hole.... 

soaking! 

thank you for the heads up on this! At least I know it’s nothing to immediately worry about and I can add this job to the to do list if summer appears in Scotland this year