Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memory Foam Car Cushion

TomsFocus

I've been trying to remain positive on here about my new Focus Active.  I do generally like it but...and it's a big but...  I'm still getting incredibly nauseous trying to drive it. :sad: 

Anyone that saw my monstrous 'Vignale alternatives' thread will know I have dodgy innards that are getting increasingly worse, which was a major factor in car choice.  At this point, I'm genuinely not sure if it's a problem with the car, or anxiety related, or something else, but it's even worse than it was in the Golf.

The ride comfort seems smooth enough, but the seats are quite firm.  I hate adding anything on top of seats (seat covers are a pet hate haha!) but I'm wondering if maybe a memory foam cushion might take out some of the 'jitters' between my backside and the seat...clutching at straws, maybe!

Quite a few on amazon and eBay so looking for one that someone has tried and tested if possible?

Cheers

No clue what to say on this but if comfort is the issue then memory foam is defo comfortable. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F0CUE said:

No clue what to say on this but if comfort is the issue then memory foam is defo comfortable. 

I'm also looking for a memory foam mattress if you can recommend one! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

OMG Tom, what great timing, after a very very long period, we got a new mattress 2 weeks ago. There are numerous TV  infomercials on currently with various ones, but we settled on the Dormeo S mattress. Fabulous feature in that you can split it in 'half' for different comfort settings so each of us can be comfortable. My half is positioned for 'firm & shoulders', hers is, 'soft & hips'! The testimonials on these on TV are often nauseating, but, I have to admit, I regret not doing it sooner! Both of us agree it is quite amazing!

Top tip too is if you buy direct from the Dormeo web site, and close the window just prior to purchase, I got a pop up for another 10% off which at £400 is not to be sneezed at!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

OMG Tom, what great timing, after a very very long period, we got a new mattress 2 weeks ago. There are numerous TV  infomercials on currently with various ones, but we settled on the Dormeo S mattress. Fabulous feature in that you can split it in 'half' for different comfort settings so each of us can be comfortable. My half is positioned for 'firm & shoulders', hers is, 'soft & hips'! The testimonials on these on TV are often nauseating, but, I have to admit, I regret not doing it sooner! Both of us agree it is quite amazing!

Top tip too is if you buy direct from the Dormeo web site, and close the window just prior to purchase, I got a pop up for another 10% off which at £400 is not to be sneezed at!

Thanks Stephen!  The Dormeo is the one with the 10 minute ads on Quest, right? :laugh:  It does look good and was on the list, along with Simba etc.  I'm amazed how much some of them cost!

I don't need a split one lol. :sad:  But interesting to know you can choose specifics like that...  Main reason I'm looking into them is I need to lay on my back due to the digestive problems, but find it too uncomfortable to actually sleep like that on a regular mattress.  I'm hoping I might 'sink' into a MF enough to be comfortable.  I barely weigh anything so can probably get away with 'soft'.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks Stephen!  The Dormeo is the one with the 10 minute ads on Quest, right? :laugh:  It does look good and was on the list, along with Simba etc.  I'm amazed how much some of them cost!

I don't need a split one lol. :sad:  But interesting to know you can choose specifics like that...  Main reason I'm looking into them is I need to lay on my back due to the digestive problems, but find it too uncomfortable to actually sleep like that on a regular mattress.  I'm hoping I might 'sink' into a MF enough to be comfortable.  I barely weigh anything so can probably get away with 'soft'.

Yes LOL Dormeo seem to blast their ads on all channels late at night! I just checked the web site and the 'S' mattress is now selling at £800, I got it during a half price sale which to be honest thought it was a sales technique, you know, kinda like DFS sofas always having a sale! I'm sure if you wait a bit you can see them at 'half price' again. It was definitely the 'S' feature of being able to adjust comfort levels, as being in lockdown, the government has prevented us from trying these things out in a proper shop, and the promise of a 100% money back guarantee sealed it.

You say you don't need the 'split' feature of it, but you could easily have both sides set the same, or just experiment with them and during the night, shuffle over to the other side to see if another setting is more comfy! Anyway, with a 15 Year guarantee (unlike a Ford Focus, or any car LOL) It's a purchase I genuinely have no regrets over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Can't help with the car seat but for a mattress I can recommend the silentnight 3 zone they also do a 7 zone (which Best Buy) not tried that but I've had a 3 zone for 7 years and just replaced it with another one, cheapest is from silenneght themselves or was a month ago.

https://www.silentnight.co.uk/all-mattresses/memory-foam-mattresses/mattress-now-rolled-mattress-memory-3-zone.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, StephenFord said:

Yes LOL Dormeo seem to blast their ads on all channels late at night! I just checked the web site and the 'S' mattress is now selling at £800, I got it during a half price sale which to be honest thought it was a sales technique, you know, kinda like DFS sofas always having a sale! I'm sure if you wait a bit you can see them at 'half price' again. It was definitely the 'S' feature of being able to adjust comfort levels, as being in lockdown, the government has prevented us from trying these things out in a proper shop, and the promise of a 100% money back guarantee sealed it.

You say you don't need the 'split' feature of it, but you could easily have both sides set the same, or just experiment with them and during the night, shuffle over to the other side to see if another setting is more comfy! Anyway, with a 15 Year guarantee (unlike a Ford Focus, or any car LOL) It's a purchase I genuinely have no regrets over.

The Dormeo is on offer at half price again...  Plus a 'free gift' pillow! 😮

I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra for the Evo version?  Presumably that's the one with a big spoiler and a lot of turbo lag... :whistling:  Dormeo S Plus Evolution Memory Foam Mattress

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The Dormeo is on offer at half price again...  Plus a 'free gift' and pillow! 😮  Intrigued as to what the free gift for use with a mattress might be! :unsure:

I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra for the Evo version?  Presumably that's the one with a big spoiler and a lot of turbo lag... :whistling:  Dormeo S Plus Evolution Memory Foam Mattress

Your 'free gift' will be a 'special' pillow, She loves it! As you know, I'm an LX fan so the 'S' suits me fine LOL It was the customisation of it that was the killer application for us. Oh, just noticed you said free gift AND pillow, have no idea what the free gift is LOL

pillow.jpg.a321472403710d514dc1170dedad5c26.jpg

• Like 1

I need to look for one too. My back problems has been hunting me for a few weeks now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Your 'free gift' will be a 'special' pillow, She loves it! As you know, I'm an LX fan so the 'S' suits me fine LOL It was the customisation of it that was the killer application for us. Oh, just noticed you said free gift AND pillow, have no idea what the free gift is LOL

pillow.jpg.a321472403710d514dc1170dedad5c26.jpg

Didn't edit quick enough haha - the free gift is the pillow I think!  Strange you only get one free pillow with a double mattress though! :g:

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Didn't edit quick enough haha - the free gift is the pillow I think!  Strange you only get one free pillow with a double mattress though! :g:

We thought that too, especially when 'checking out' I thought there may be a pop up offering another at a special price, but nothing appeared. Anyway, I ended up buying some nice 'GX Pillows' which genuinely are excellent, but again, got twin pack on offer at £29.95 with free P&P, you'd have to be very well heeled to buy them at full £55 price for a twin pack LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

We thought that too, especially when 'checking out' I thought there may be a pop up offering another at a special price, but nothing appeared. Anyway, I ended up buying some nice 'GX Pillows' which genuine are excellent, but again, got twin pack on offer at £29.95 with free P&P, you'd have to be very well heeled to buy them at full £55 price for a twin pack LOL

Sleeping costs so much nowadays! :laugh: 

I usually use 2 pillows but wonder if I could get away with just the free one...

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Sleeping costs so much nowadays! :laugh: 

I usually use 2 pillows but wonder if I could get away with just the free one...

To be fair, she does, but I'll not be commenting further on her sleeping habits LOL

• Haha 2

I had spinal fusion 23 years ago. Few years ago I bought a silentnight orthopaedic mattress. It was terrible. Solution was a memory foam mattress topper. Generic , no brand name mattress £50 amazon! . It’s about 4 inch thick . I tried a brand name one , 2inch thick double the price wasn’t great. As for the car maybe a wheelchair cushion although might be too thick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I had spinal fusion 23 years ago. Few years ago I bought a silentnight orthopaedic mattress. It was terrible. Solution was a memory foam mattress topper. Generic , no brand name mattress £50 Amazon! . It’s about 4 inch thick . I tried a brand name one , 2inch thick double the price wasn’t great. As for the car maybe a wheelchair cushion although might be too thick. 

Given up on the car tbh, there's a lot more to the lack of smoothness than just the seat.  I think my Ford days are over sadly. :sad:  

Have considered trying an MF topper before committing to a full mattress.  Do you think it was the thickness that made the difference or the type of foam?  Already use a Kingsize fitted sheet on a double mattress, not sure I could get another 4" underneath it!

Just now, TomsFocus said:

Given up on the car tbh, there's a lot more to the lack of smoothness than just the seat.  I think my Ford days are over sadly. :sad:  

I was chatting to a friend recently about my Mk2 on how great the ride & even handling was, and very comparable to the Mercedes C class I use to own. OK, it's as slow as treacle running uphill, but darned comfortable!

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Have considered trying an MF topper before committing to a full mattress.  Do you think it was the thickness that made the difference or the type of foam?  Already use a Kingsize fitted sheet on a double mattress, not sure I could get another 4" underneath it!

Again, on talking to same friend, have talked them into getting a new mattress, same as me (Dormeo S). It's really hard to give advice on such things as for me anyway, it's such a rare purchase. My 'old' one was approaching it's 30th birthday LOL I'm sure there are loads of suitable foam type mattresses for you, but the only regret I have was pondering for 5 years on getting one! Genuinely look forward to sleeping on it now, I never looked forward to sleeping on my old Slumberland :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

I'm sure there are loads of suitable foam type mattresses for you, but the only regret I have was pondering for 5 years on getting one!

I just wish I was more decisive!  Or do I? :g:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you think it was the thickness that made the difference or the type of foam? 

Probably both. I was dubious when it arrived , no brand , no info apart from “leave to expand for 24hrs” . I suffer from chronic back pain, I had the best nights sleep in years, had it a few years now still very good. amazon has loads now , probably mainly Chinese , there’s no way I can tell which is which with all the different manufacturers. You don’t have to spend more than £50-£90 depending on size. I’d definitely recommend 3 or 4 inch thickness. About sheets, I’ve a sheet on the MF topper , doesn’t fit the mattress underneath. Not a problem for me. I’ve got a MF pillow too. And slippers ! Lol Getting old 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

...And slippers ! Lol ...

I sure hope they are tartan, it's compulsory with getting old! 😁

• Haha 2

Just now, StephenFord said:

I sure hope they are tartan, it's compulsory with getting old! 😁

Same tartan as my pyjamas! 

• Haha 2

Well, today'sa my Dormeo day... :wink: 

Too much choice of toppers with the potential to get a crap one so decided to just go for the full mattress.  Went the same S as Stephens.  Currently half price, free pillow, 10% off for pretending to close the webpage, and potentially 3.4% back from TopCashBack unless they decline due to other discount.

Let's hope my horse comes through later!! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

You need to review it on here! I looked up the topper I have in amazon orders history . £42 

cracking value for money . I looked at the Dormeo website, they’re good at making you think you’re getting a good deal! 
however I’ll likely invest in one myself at some point. 

10 hours ago, Alex.S said:

You need to review it on here! I looked up the topper I have in Amazon orders history . £42 

Over 15,000 reviews on TrustPilot with a near 80% 5 star rating! I even wrote one LOL

https://uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/6040d8e7f85d75064c373c0c

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club