Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charging system service now

Ydda2

Hi has anybody had this come up on dashboard charging system service now with red battery symbol comes on shortly after starting car battery was new last year and has plenty of charge in it just started last week car not being used a lot at moment due to shielding and if so how was it fixed tried flashing headlights 5 times then pressing brake pedal 3 times with ignition on but engine off battery light flashes 3 times at end but charging system service now comes back up 

Hi I don't have an Edge but I have this on my Focus Vignalle the car was purchased new Oct 2019 and the first time this message came up was TWO days after I picked the car up from the dealer and it has happened approx NINETY FIVE times to date. It went back to the dealer four times between Oct 2019 - Feb 2021 where they initially said it may be a duff battery but after having it on charge over night and testing the following day they said the battery was OK and returned the car having reset the system but  the warning always comes back sometimes after a couple of weeks or it can happen after a couple of miles it can happen once or twice in a long journey but I have had it happen up to eight times in one day.

I gave up trying to get it sorted by the dealership as they were having the car more than me so I have more or less resigned myself to putting up with the problem and just press the OK Button and the message will disappear for a while however when this message comes up the car also initiates a few other faults: (A) Keyless Entry on Passenger Door and Boot is disabled (B) Radio will not operate with the Ignition off (C) Start Stop does not work. To  be honest the Start Stop does not bother me at all and I can live without the other two but they should all work on an eighteen month old car

I will probably hand the car back at the end of the three year PCP contract and try a different manufacturer which is a shame as I have had Fords for over 35 years but this one is not good and I have lost all trust in the brand  as like a lot of people I don't have a problem with anything mechanical going wrong but I do have a problem when the Manufacturer Trained Technicians can't fix it.

I keep looking at articles on YOUTUBE hoping that the guy called SY Diagnostics will one day do a VIDEO of this problem as he certainly seems to know his stuff I wish I knew where he was based as I would gladly pay him to sort my car out and forget the worthless FORD Warranty.

Just a thought you say that you had a new battery last year so was it the correct type for the vehicle i.e was it a STOP/START Battery you had fitted.

Hope you get sorted  

Could try disconnecting battery for a while to see if it resets problem. battery should be EFB by the way

Yes it is definitely the correct battery and has run okay for about six months only started when I connected trailer the other day to do a tip run if you stop car turn off then restart it comes back on in three or four minutes maybe need to go check every fuse I can find in case it blow one with led trailers lights not had a problem before with same trailer but you never know cars are to complicated now 

I have tried taking battery off and recharged it to full power but it did same when reconnecting starts and runs fine stop/ start does not work 

Also have the same issue, new battery, new Alternator (not recon) still same. Multimeter showing 14v when running via battery even when battery light light on dash. Stop car re-start light off 4-5 minutes light back on

Sounds like a smart charge system fault which is the wiring off of the alternator that runs to the PCM and battery monitor, you could have a wiring fault. I've known active grille shutters to cause the battery light to come on as they share the same LIN bus wiring with the charging system.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had car in to ford dealers today left it diagnosed As alternator failure so they are going to fit new alternator £904.80 fitted told them I am not paying for it if it does not fix problem they showed me the diagnostic picture that says it is not charging and that it is putting out less than 11.5 volts so fingers crossed that it fixes it The battery that the aa diagnosed as buggered in July after I recharged it a couple of times now after ford garage checked it today is 100% good plus is the replacement I purchased in July on the aa s say-so   

Hope they checked the alternator excitation fuse first!

If you can find the part, this is how you can save yourself a few hundred quid in labour ...

Had car in to ford dealers today left it diagnosed As alternator failure so they are going to fit new alternator £904.80 fitted told them I am not paying for it if it does not fix problem they showed me the diagnostic picture that says it is not charging and that it is putting out less than 11.5 volts so fingers crossed that it fixes it The battery that the aa diagnosed as buggered in July after I recharged it a couple of times now after ford garage checked it today is 100% good plus is the replacement I purchased in July on the aa s say-so   

Simon please can you tell me ware alternator excitation fuse is 

51 minutes ago, Ydda2 said:

Simon please can you tell me ware alternator excitation fuse is 

Fuse F55 (10A) in the battery Junction Box (BJB) is the B+ to the alternator ... Fuse F8 (275A) in the BJB is the fused alternator output to the battery.

Although, saying that, like most modern cars, the PCM controls charging in that when you put your foot down it drops the load caused by the alternator by removing the excitation feed, decreasing the load on the engine when you need it most (part of the smart charging strategy), so the physical alternator is just one part of a more complex system!

• Like 1

Thank you Simon I will ask garage to check this before they fit new alternator 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, Midgeman said:

I keep looking at articles on YOUTUBE hoping that the guy called SY Diagnostics will one day do a VIDEO of this problem as he certainly seems to know his stuff I wish I knew where he was based as I would gladly pay him to sort my car out and forget the worthless FORD Warranty.

Well Midgeman, it seems that SY Diagnostics operates at Hartwell Ford, Rendel Street, Grimsby. He maybe their auto-electrician or a sub-contractor but this where all of the YouTube videos are made.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:37 PM, unofix said:

Well Midgeman, it seems that SY Diagnostics operates at Hartwell Ford, Rendel Street, Grimsby. He maybe their auto-electrician or a sub-contractor but this where all of the YouTube videos are made.

Sorry for the late reply unofix I have been off grid for a few days but I do appreciate the info.

Actually I did send him (SY Diagnostics) an email via his Facebook account and I did get the impression from his very helpful reply that he was probably a long way from where I am based in the West Midlands. However based on his comments it spurred me on to having another go at getting my local Ford Dealership who I purchased the car from to sort the problem out which they appear to have done. Apparently the fuse block that is built into the POSITIVE battery Cable had got hot enough to not only destroy itself but had also melted a hole in the RED battery Terminal Cover a new Lead has been fitted and up to now everything seems to be functioning as it should fingers crossed this continues to be the case.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:41 PM, Midgeman said:

Apparently the fuse block that is built into the POSITIVE Battery Cable had got hot enough to not only destroy itself but had also melted a hole in the RED Battery Terminal Cover a new Lead has been fitted and up to now everything seems to be functioning as it should fingers crossed this continues to be the case.  

Sounds like a loose connection causing a high resistance! Glad you finally got it sorted and it probably cost a lot less than other solutions that are normally attributed to charging/battery/alternator issues!

Got my edge back from dealers new alternator fitted done under warranty so no charge to me thank god working okay thank you Stoneacre york, just done a scan on DTCs at home to checkout if all good found that showing a fault on body Control Module turns out it’s the trailer control module showing the fog lights left and right rear tail lights not working but when connected to caravan lights work but fog lights don’t but it does turn off cars fog lights when trailer plugs in not able to test brake lights at moment funny all this started when I connected small trailer to car that’s when charge system service now started just realised small trailer has led lights fitted so hope it has not buggered module as found out these don’t like led lights 

Hi Ydda2, the rear Fog light problem is most likely a problem with the rear socket on your car. Inside some sockets is a small basic switch. When the plug is pushed in to the socket the switch changes over so that the cars rear fog light is turned off. These switches are prone to getting wet and having a bit of corrosion. Normally giving the switch a clean and a spray with WD40 sorts the problem.

Thank you I will strip it down and have a look 

Had a look at car socket and put in 13 pin test light and every thing tests out okay so don’t know what’s wrong 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

My ford fiesta is 9 months old. 'Charging system service now' and red battery light on all the time. My ford app tells me 'Remote features disabled'. I have had fiestas for 20 years, never really had problems. I do not run anything else in the car, don't charge my phone up etc. Awaiting a call from Evans Halshaw mechanic. Not happy at all. Lone female driver, I replace cars every 3 years so still have warranties. Drive approx 25 miles per day, 6 days a week. Need my car to start first time every day. 

2 hours ago, Michelle Smi said:

Lone female driver

I hope that you are not one of those people that expect positive discrimination when it would be to your advantage. Ford operate an equality programme to ensure the cars of female drivers are just as likely to breakdown as those of any other gender.

No I don't. I buy new cars because I don't want problems. Evans Halshaw can't look at it until Weds 12. Over half my journey is motorway at 5am. I am scared. Will have to do another route for over a week. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club