Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost sump sealant

jlawes20389

Hi all,

So I think I've got the blocked strainer problem on the oil pump, car seems to take some time to build pressure when cold so thinking the strainer is blocked and needs cleaning out. Car is on 78k miles.

Only thing I cant find as my Google skills are letting me down is the type of sealer to use when refitting the sump. Any suggestions?

Anything else I should be looking out for too?

The cause of a blocked oil pump inlet is usually disintegration of the wetbelts. The wetbelts disintegrate and the rubber particles of the wetbelt will clogg the strainer.

The sealant that Ford prescribes is basically a black silicon based RTV sealant. 

In this case you should remove the sump and inspect the oil pump inlet. If rubber particles are found inside the sump the engine must be stripped down, manually cleaned and both wetbelts must be replaced.

Maybe that's one reason why they changed to a chain in the later versions. The more I learn about this engine the more inclined I am to get rid of my Mk3 (and I won't be replacing it with another Ford).

Thanks Wilco that's great.

I shall see what I find!

3 hours ago, mjt said:

Maybe that's one reason why they changed to a chain in the later versions. The more I learn about this engine the more inclined I am to get rid of my Mk3 (and I won't be replacing it with another Ford).

The most recent further development of the 1.0 ECOboost engine may have a chain between the crankshaft and the camshafts but it still has a wetbelt between the crankshaft and the oil pump. Changing the wetbelt between the crankshaft and the oil pump requires removal of the timing chain.