Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine chips

PeterBfd

Seen some reviews regarding Race Chips for the engine.

They are suppose to be save nowadays but still do worry.

However more power and better fuel consumption sounds good.

What are peoples thoughts

I had a Racechip on my Edge Sport 2.0 TDCi Bi-Turbo (210 HP/ 154 kW) for the last couple of years without any issues, definitely saw better performance and response with some slight improvement in fuel economy, maybe around 5% or so. Really simple to remove when servicing etc. Ive recently changed to a ST-Line so starting to look for a new option as Racechip do not support this engine so cant re-programme so will be selling my Racechip with bluetooth App and will probably go for the TDI tuning box instead.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used TDI - Tuning for several years and have had one of their self install 3 channel  boxes fitter to a Ford Galaxy 2010, Ford S-Max 2016 and now my Ford Edge 2018.

I left it on as a test for the last S-Max MOT and it passed but I did take it off the Edge for it's first MOT as done by Ford and under an extended warranty.

Insurance went up by £25

Better MPG, more low down grunt, smother through the gears and probably surprises a few other drivers when the foot hits the floor 😀

You can even send it back for a re-program and new harness if you change you car as I did when I exchanged the S-Max for the Edge, that cost about £100.

Loads of space under the bonnet in the Edge so fitting is easy, 10mins max.

Hope this helps.

Rik

Hi PeterBfd,

I have a Bluespark Pro on our Edge 180Bhp. I also had one on our Focus 3 163 Bhp. I love the BlueSpark units over normal Race chips as the unit is a Multimap giving you 5 different maps from Eco to torque to full power and you can also adjust how "aggressive" each map is by 9 levels. They are not cheap, think mine was £180 - £199, but you can take it with you to your next car and pay to have it reprogrammed which is £60. I have one on Map 4, Level 8 and that gives me a good 206Bhp when its warmer and 196Bhp there about when its winter.

map.thumb.jpg.0f8a76eb253d2013b14916d12295f6fe.jpg

Thanks Nev,

The price does not sound too bad really.

The Race Chip company vary in price £138 for standard with gives you +15BHP, £249 with gives you +19BHP and the most expensive that gives you +23BHP at £399.

Only the £399 one can be reprogrammed at a cost of £50 if you change cars.

Seems a lot of money difference for little more gain in BHP.

The TDI tuning site has just the one option of £311.99 (including the 20% off code) for an increase of 58BHP

With the app to change settings by phone is an extra £50 (so total of £351.99)

The difference of BHP between the 2 sites are huge (more than double with TDI Tuning)

Currently the Blue Spark has 3 options.

£149.99 for plus 29BHP, £199.99 for plus 38BHP and £279.99 for plus 45BHP.

I would assume they would all be similar in gains as the engine can only be improved so far before starting to damage it (which is main concern)

So why so different?

I may look into this further regarding reviews etc. as ultimately I don't want the car to suffer from having one fitted.

With Thanks

3 hours ago, PeterBfd said:

+1, The other thing is how much more power do you get in the general driving RPM range? I mean peak HP is only going to be achieved at or near the red line, below that ,in the normal RPM range, you'll get a very small percentage of the peak gain! So what's the actual point? Just askin' for a friend!

10 hours ago, PeterBfd said:

Thanks Nev,

The price does not sound too bad really.

The Race Chip company vary in price £138 for standard with gives you +15BHP, £249 with gives you +19BHP and the most expensive that gives you +23BHP at £399.

Only the £399 one can be reprogrammed at a cost of £50 if you change cars.

The TDI tuning site has just the one option of £311.99 (including the 20% off code) for an increase of 58BHP

With the app to change settings by phone is an extra £50 (so total of £351.99)

The difference of BHP between the 2 sites are huge (more than double with TDI Tuning)

Currently the Blue Spark has 3 options.

£149.99 for plus 29BHP, £199.99 for plus 38BHP and £279.99 for plus 45BHP.

I would assume they would all be similar in gains as the engine can only be improved so far before starting to damage it (which is main concern)

So why so different?

I may look into this further regarding reviews etc. as ultimately I don't want the car to suffer from having one fitted.

With Thanks

Hi Peter,

I didn't find any issues long term on the Focus. Had it fitted for 4 years and no problems with emissions, MOT, smoke etc. The Focus was a long distance runner so the map was set as Torque and level 6 which gave a good 54Mpg on the run all of the time. In fact, we had less emissions with it, but did notice regeneration took place more often.

I'm still playing with the Maps and levels on the Edge, but my goal is more of an increase in Torque and some Bhp. I'd be quite happy at 200Bhp and a +40N Torque gain. The edge is a daily driver which will also be a distance runner once lockdown ends, so it needs to be a nice balance of extra Torque and Bhp. Currently on last fill up it worked it out at 43Mpg with short B roads and dual carriageways. Not too shabby but room for improvement.

At the end of the day, all tuning boxes over fuel the engine, so it will be more EGR and Injector issues long term if you have it set too high. I'm using mine of Map 4 at level 8 currently, but will be reducing this to Map 3 Level 7 or 8 and then test it all again for a week.

9 hours ago, simonb65 said:

+1, The other thing is how much more power do you get in the general driving RPM range? I mean peak HP is only going to be achieved at or near the red line, below that ,in the normal RPM range, you'll get a very small percentage of the peak gain! So what's the actual point? Just askin' for a friend!

You actually get a lot more grunt in the lower rev range as it's a diesel so no need to rev the nuts off it or go near the red line.

Just pulls a lot better and smoother.

• 2 months later...

Just about to purchase a tunning box so got some insurance quotes. The cheapest was double the price I am currently paying. Don't think I will bother now.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, PeterBfd said:

Just about to purchase a tunning box so got some insurance quotes. The cheapest was double the price I am currently paying. Don't think I will bother now.

Hi.

Please feel free to give us a try for insurance for a tuning box if you haven't done so already.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello

I have a ford edge 2019 st line 238 bhp bi-tubo eco blue but can not find anyone hwo can remap or chiptune it can anyone help.

Regards Chris

4 hours ago, bootmorgan said:

Hello

I have a ford edge 2019 st line 238 bhp bi-tubo eco blue but can not find anyone hwo can remap or chiptune it can anyone help.

Regards Chris

TDI Tunning do one for this