Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 ecoboost idle question

Disasterfocus

Hello there.My 2012 focus1.0 ecoboost idles at about 850 rpm and the engine vibrates and sounds like a Soviet tractor.When I press the gas pedal lightly and take it up to 1000 rpm it smoothes out verynicely indeed.im thinking of some way to tweak the idle speed but there's not much info out there..can it be tweaked.should it be tweaked.Replaced top engine mount today and frankly I was hoping for a better outcome.Any info greatly appreciated.

The specified idle speed of the 1.0 ECOboost is 860 ± 100 RPM. In your case the 850 RPM is perfectly fine.

The idle speed is controlled completely electronically. The throttle plate inside the throttle body has a spring loaded stop screw to adjust the throttle plate but this screw is only intended to prevent the throttle plate from completely closing and to dampen the throttle plate motion when the plate is almost closed.

If you really want to change the idle speed the PCM software needs to be modified (custom PCM software).

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the reply.I suspected it was electronic and thus out of my league.Ill need to look elsewhere to solve the vibration problem.

Personally I would start checking the remaining gearbox mounts (especially the torque restrictor) and the torsional damper. The torsional damper is integrated into the crankshaft pully. The torsional damper of the 1.0 ECOboost is intentionally out of balance to reduce the vibrations that are present on a 3-cylinder engine. Because the torsional damper is out of balance it needs to be correctly alligned onto the crankshaft.

• Like 2

Guy on you tube runs a wee jumper cable between battery and earth to reset pcm...tried it last night without success.Do you think if I did it again but this time start the relearn procedure with my foot lightly on the pedal  for 15 mins to bring the revs up a little it would 'relearn' the new idle setting ?

Disconnecting the battery or connecting the disconnected positive and negative battery cable does not reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory). To reset al learned/stored values the KAM needs to be reset using a suitable diagnostic system.

• Like 1

Ok fair enough..looks like I'm beat.Its got 70k on it so it's not as if it's a new example.I did do the valve cover gasket recently and in doing so had to remove some of the air pipework.Would this have disturbed the maf sensor just by removing some of the adjoining sections.?

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine since 14k and now 28k miles. it pretty much behaves the same way you are describing. using anything better than supermarket fuel 95 octane made the biggest difference in my experience in reducing the engine vibration. Someone else might have a better idea than mine 🙂

• 2 months later...

I hate to revive dead topics, but my experience is very different. I bought my fiesta 1.0 ecoboost (2015) from my aunt in December with around 65k km on odo. Its the powershift variant and idles just a smidge over 1000rpm. As far as i can recall its done this since the day she got it. its very smooth at idle and whisper quiet. its just out of the threshold for 'normal' idle revs, but im wondering if that has to do with the fact that its automatic and not manual, or just set like that. i am sure that altitude has nothing to do with it, although i am situated about 1500m above sea level. Im not concerned with changing the rpm at idle, just wondering why mine seems so much higher than others'.

Perhaps FORScan has settings to do with idle RPMs?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club