Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost timing belt replacement - worth it? or new car?

D Wilson

I've reached 151,000 miles in my 2013 ford fiesta ecoboost, i've had it serviced religiously but now need to look to get the cam belt changed. I've read it's an involved, long job and have been quoted £1100 by ford. I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth it, or whether to start looking for a new car. I've chatted to the mechanic who's serviced it over the 8 years i've had the car and he says, once done, it might do another 100,000 miles with only wear and tear costs (break pads, possible clutch etc).

Has anyone bitten the bullet and had it changed? Was it worth it for you? Did anything else go wrong? My mileage has come right down so i've gone from 100 miles a day 5 days a week to 60miles a day 3x a week....

Thanks in advance, Dan

My daughter got the local garage to change cam belt on her Fiesta when it reached 100,000 miles. They did it for around the £500 price. Sad thing was that only a month later the head gasket went !!

So in my opinion I would say its time to look at changing vehicles. It might be your last chance before the goverment bans the sale of any car with a real engine

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, unofix said:

My daughter got the local garage to change cam belt on her Fiesta when it reached 100,000 miles. They did it for around the £500 price. Sad thing was that only a month later the head gasket went !!

So in my opinion I would say its time to look at changing vehicles. It might be your last chance before the goverment bans the sale of any car with a real engine

Ah yes, that's my fear - i'll go to the expense only for something else to go kuput...thanks for your advice. 

Hi, someone on the Fiesta forum might be able to assist?

• Like 1

Replacing the wetbelts on a 1.0 ECOboost engine is a pretty labour intensive job. Especially on a smaller car like the Fiesta with limited working space. £1100 may seem a lot of money but is fully justified by the major amount of work and the large amount of (expensive) special tools that are required to perform this job.

If the car still suits you and is in good technical condition I do not see any reason to not change the wetbelts. If you do decide to sell the car you have to take into account that the fact that the wetbelts are due to be changed will seriously affect the value of the car.

• Like 2

There is always the fingers crossed approch. Due to the mileage and the fact the wetbelts are in need of change the value of your car is probably about £2800 to £3000.

Now you have to consider spending about £1000 on getting the belts changed, with no guarantee that something else major won't fail in a couple of months.

You could just leave things as they are, as you say the mileage you do now is very little so the car could last another 12 months by which time you could part-ex it and get about £1600 plus you would still have the £1000 that you didn't spend on getting the belts changed. Just a thought?

• Like 1

Thank you all so much, i'll probably go for the cam belt change as I'm happy with the car, kept up to date with servicing and I'm not quite ready to let it go yet. Thank you again for all of your advice. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, unofix said:

You could just leave things as they are, as you say the mileage you do now is very little so the car could last another 12 months by which time you could part-ex it and get about £1600 plus you would still have the £1000 that you didn't spend on getting the belts changed. Just a thought?

Or the belt could snap/the tensioner could fail and car will be worth scrap value with a trashed engine.

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2021 at 9:21 PM, D Wilson said:

I've reached 151,000 miles in my 2013 ford fiesta ecoboost, i've had it serviced religiously but now need to look to get the cam belt changed. I've read it's an involved, long job and have been quoted £1100 by ford. I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth it, or whether to start looking for a new car. I've chatted to the mechanic who's serviced it over the 8 years i've had the car and he says, once done, it might do another 100,000 miles with only wear and tear costs (break pads, possible clutch etc).

Has anyone bitten the bullet and had it changed? Was it worth it for you? Did anything else go wrong? My mileage has come right down so i've gone from 100 miles a day 5 days a week to 60miles a day 3x a week....

Thanks in advance, Dan

Hi Dan

Did you have this belt replaced ? 

5 hours ago, Seanreki said:

Hi Dan

You're in for a long wait if you expect a reply from Dan who last visited the forum 5th April 2021

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 5:18 AM, Seanreki said:

Hi Dan

Hi, i did yes. The garage replaced the belt, found that the starter engine needed to be replaced at the same time so did both. Car has been running well for over a year and a half now and 2 other services later...

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Can anybody on this forum recommend somewhere that I can have my wetbelt changed on my fiesta ecoboost 2013 please

Hertfordshire or home counties?

Noticed this the other day when looking for a price for a belt and pump change for the other half’s Mk8 1.0L. Anyone know anyone who’s tried it, seems quite cheap although I know this company is supposed to be good for performance parts. 

£750ish for a cam belt and water pump inc fitting: https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Genuine-Ford-OE-Water-Pump-and-Cam-Belt-Kit-10-EcoBoost_21244.jsp

I'd snap their hand of. Puma Speed have been going a good number of years so I personally wouldn't worry about any work they do.

50 minutes ago, Buxty said:

Noticed this the other day when looking for a price for a belt and pump change for the other half’s Mk8 1.0L. Anyone know anyone who’s tried it, seems quite cheap although I know this company is supposed to be good for performance parts. 

£750ish for a cam belt and water pump inc fitting: https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Genuine-Ford-OE-Water-Pump-and-Cam-Belt-Kit-10-EcoBoost_21244.jsp

No oil pump belt there. 

4.5 hours also suggests no sump off for oil pump clean.  Might be worth checking that.  If the old belt is already degrading, there will be bits of it in the pump strainer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club