Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice needed

Ragnarok91

Hello all, I'm new here but I could use some advice before I take my car to the garage on Monday, I was getting up to speed on the sliproad to the motorway just pulled onto the motorway changed into 5th when I heard a clunk of some kind followed immediately after that with some loss of power and couldn't get up past 65mph, thankfully i was getting off at the next junction a mile or 2 down the road so I got off and at the lights I noticed there was some white smoke coming from the exhaust, I set off again to get the car home and it was really lumpy and jumpy the revs would go up and it wouldn't go any faster, it stalled on a slight incline uphill when I hit another set of lights, got it up the hill but I had to accelerate more than usual and it wasn't going anywhere near as fast.  Ideally I'd like to know what I need to look at and what could possibly have happened, im no mechanic but I do consider myself pretty handy so if its something I can do myself I'd rather do that, FYI no engine lights came on during any part of this, not sure if it's my clutch biting the dust or if it maybe an engine or turbo issue as can't think what else it might be. 

Hi Steven, I've got some real bad news for you I'm afraid. Its Easter Bank Holiday on Monday. From what you have said unfortunately it could be a number of things, the fact you say the revs were going up but the speed was remaining the same it could possibly be the clutch. Is the engine idle speed normal and smooth when standing still ?

Haven't had a chance to check the idle per se however it seemed to idle fine when I had a wander around the car once it was parked up couldnt see any obvious signs of damage under the bonnet but I plan to take a closer look tomorrow 

If the engine revs freely and without problem when standing still then it would point to a transmission problem, clutch / gearbox

Any ideas on how to check to confirm or rule out anything else it may be?

To test the clutch put it into 4th gear whilst stationary, rev it to around 2.5-3k and dump the clutch. Make sure handbrake is on! 

If your car doesn't stall instantly it could be an indication of a failed clutch. 

I'm more concerned why you have white smoke coming from your exhaust, has your coolant level dropped? 

• Like 1

Coolant level seemed fine but I haven't had a chance to check fully yet, I know the temp gauge never raised as I was driving it home I was hoping it maybe a split turbo pipe but I don't know if that would turn the car into a bounce house as I'd rather replace a pipe than weigh up taking the gearbox out 

It sounds like a boost pipe may have come detached or has split. You might have to get underneath and take off the stone guard (if fitted) to investigate further

• Like 1

Finally got time to check the car over turns out the boost pipe from the intercooler had popped off one way or another, all back on and snug as a bug kudos to nicam for the right diagnosis thanks for all the help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club