Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

TVs - Spot the Difference?

TomsFocus

I'm after a 32" TV.  Would prefer to stick with LG as my current 23" is now coming up to 10 years old with no issues at all.

Not sure if I'm being thick here, but what's the difference between these to justify the extra £30?

Buy LG 32LM6300PLA 32" Smart Full HD HDR LED TV | Free Delivery | Currys

LG 32LM637BPLA (2021) LED HDR HD Ready Smart TV, 32 inch with Freeview Play/Freesat HD, Ceramic Black at John Lewis & Partners

Also, the 2021 version doesn't appear to have a normal aerial input!?  Is that just a stock picture, surely all UK TV's come with them still for Freeview?  I don't have a dish so couldn't get Freesat.

Hang on...the more expensive one has a lower screen resolution?  Only 768 instead of 1080? :unsure: 

From a quick glance the more expensive one has LG 's AI technology the other is just a smart TV.

The cheaper one has the 'ThinQ AI' as well as far as I can tell...not that I know what it is! :laugh:

There seem to be several very similar models about oddly, really have to look at the model number closely.

***** Hell Tom thats going to be one hell of an upgrade to your Sync3, you need a wall bracket to fit that on the dash or are you mounting it direct on the bonnet? 🤣

Currys = poor after sales service, what ever goes wrong it is always your fault.

John Lewis = Free 5 year guarantee with out any hassle even if the screen fails at 4 years 11 months

• Haha 3

I seriously hope these are more reliable than sync 3...  And that annoying pop ups don't keep coming up about location data. :laugh:

Think I e found the same one as Curry's on Richer Sounds so have asked if they'll price match.  6 year warranty with them too...though I'm hoping not to need that.

• Like 1

Go with a Sony or Panasonic. The difference in screen quality is insane compared to the LG range. I bought a 32" LG. Regretted it ever since cos it cracks and pops as the back of it cools down for hours on end. Also unofix is right about Currys. Avoid if u can. 🙂 ...although if you are getting a Sony it's such a good make you'll be fine whomever you get it from.

• Thanks 1

The only issue with Panasonic is that they don't support Disney+ atm.

Always had Panasonic and can't fault the sets tbh. Future Son in law has just bought an LG 55inch A9 with tha AI technology and its pants even the remote is tacky lol  Although he's connected via satellite with all the trimings ( Sky, Prime Disney + etc etc) compared to our basic old style aerial in the loft.

• Like 2

I bought a Panasonic stereo back in 2015 which I haven't been overly pleased with in all honesty.

There seems to be too much choice in everything nowadays...any recommendations of an exact equivalent model for either Panasonic or Sony?

Basic criteria is 32", Smart, full 1080 HD...but after that I'm not sure!

I prefer the look of the 'fork' stand on the LG over the plinth stands, but that's not a deal-breaker. :laugh:

Lol.

Panasonic used to make great stack systems back in the day but not stereos 😉

I'm with you on the Stands though. I don't like the current set up of plinths on the new range of Panasonic which put me off from upgrading the main TV late last year ( was going to move it upstairs ) 

Here's a pic of our current one. The feet go on two different ways and allow the sound bar to fit inbetween perfectly which I couldn't do if it had the plinth of the current range.

You may find a visit to AV forums for any worth while reviews......

https://www.avforums.com/hub/tvs.8/reviews/#page2

Screenshot_20210406-151208_Photos.jpg

Edited by Wino
Additional information.
  • Like 1

I've always been a Sony man, wouldn't really consider anything else (Did once own a Technics stack system which was good). I like quality and reliability above all (thats why I drive a Ford Focus 🤣), You can't go past a Sony bought from John Lewis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, unofix said:

I've always been a Sony man, wouldn't really consider anything else 

Can't comment on the current range, but we've also had good experiences with Sony TV. Currently have 2 (both 36") - one at home which we've had 16 years, no problems. The other is also well over 10 years plus and currently living in our static caravan, after seeing several years of previous use by late family/friends, so it's survived a lot of moves!

• Like 2

Hisense have had some decent reviews in the past. I've not had experience with them apart from seeing them in Curry's etc picture seemed ok.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HISENSE-32A5600FTUK-32-inch-Playback-Freeview/dp/B089NFBPF3

Personally I would go to Curry's etc and have a play with a couple of brands you like the look of. While the picture could be good the software/programme guide etc could be clunky and slow, for instance our daughter has a Sharp TV(staff discount at Lidl) picture is ok for the money but it takes 30 seconds from switching on until you can change channel or volume! 

Some of the Toshiba models are GVFM we got the Father in law a 40inch smart tv for his residence at the coast and the pic is spot on tbh.

Argh, don't add more choice!! :laugh:

Electrical shops aren't open in England atm, though I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable browsing and touching display models even when they reopen. :sad:

I wouldn't worry too much about viewing the TV itself. So long as it has the options you require and fits where it should then the rest is down to reviews etc etc.

It's not like a car, you can't take it for a test drive 😮

TV's come with enough viewing options nowadays not just screen brightness and contrast settings but a whole host of background options too. So you're hardly going to struggle to get a decent picture from it.

The main thing is does it work how you want it too ? 

• Like 1

I've always chosen a TV by it's remote control! It's kinda like Michelin starred food, I haven't the sophisticated palette to appreciate it, give me a plate of steak & chips anytime! The picture to me is all of a muchness, Coronation Street looks pretty much the same in all tellys. However, the remote control is the thing that sits in your hand all the time.

A good one will allow you to operate the TV virtually from memory, with a well laid out array of easy to understand buttons. If you don't think it's important, look at any 'Sharp' TV remote, a random collection of 50 odd buttons all the same size. Bl**dy awful!

Then, look at you Sky remote, and see how well designed they can be! Yep, you're better off choosing your TV by the remote, all the rest is smoke & mirrors...

• Like 1

I do like my LG remote...but that may just be because I've had it for a decade!! :laugh:

Still finding functions on it too...recently found a 'return to last channel' button which is ideal when skipping ads!

Must admit, my vision isn't the best so I'm not sure how much difference I'll actually see.  I'm just hoping to at least be able to read text on the Xbox again! :laugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I do like my LG remote...but that may just be because I've had it for a decade!! :laugh:

Asked and answered then buddy, LG it is LOL I too now suffer from having SD eyes with an HD TV! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...

Tried the new TV yesterday, fine while stationary...but it triggered my vertigo every time there was any movement on it! 🤦‍♂️  

Of all the things I considered about a new TV, never once thought that might happen!  I've put the old one back for now... :rolleyes: 

Presumably caused by the larger screen size.  Anyone else experienced similar before?

• Sad 2

On 4/6/2021 at 7:26 PM, StephenFord said:

Then, look at you Sky remote, and see how well designed they can be! Yep, you're better off choosing your TV by the remote, all the rest is smoke & mirrors...

The old Sky + was good and a decent interface but the Sky Q is a ***** nightmare 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

The old Sky + was good and a decent interface but the Sky Q is a ***** nightmare 

Have you seen the Samsung 'One Remote'?  Can't help thinking it could do with a few more buttons! 

Use a Samsung One Remote with Sonos home theater speakers | Sonos

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Presumably caused by the larger screen size.  Anyone else experienced similar before?

My inlaws have just got themselves a spanking new 50" Samsung TV, however, despite me showing them how to get HD channels, they insist on watching SD from Freeview. There is so much pixilation it hurts my eyes, but they love it LOL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you seen the Samsung 'One Remote'?  Can't help thinking it could do with a few more buttons! 

Use a Samsung One Remote with Sonos home theater speakers | Sonos

It's a bit sparse I still like my LG remote, it's the newer smart remote not the old tiny one, like you I've always liked LG TVs toss up between LG and Samsung for me.

• Like 1

Just now, StephenFord said:

My inlaws have just got themselves a spanking new 50" Samsung TV, however, despite me showing them how to get HD channels, they insist on watching SD from Freeview. There is so much pixilation it hurts my eyes, but they love it LOL

My Nan and Grandad used to have theirs set to the 'warmest' colour tones...  Everyone looked like David Dickinson! 

I think it's more the larger moving object, and less static peripheral vision around it, that's causing my issue.  But I did also notice the extra pixellation...reckon I could see the difference with HD at that size lol. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club