Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrading mk4 headlights. Plug and play?

StevieIRL

Hey all, 

Does anyone know if the mk4 mondeo projectors would be plug and play for mondeos with standard halogens? 

I know some projectors are adaptive and some are bi xenon, but if I didn't care for the adaptive side of things, could I still just plug them in and use them as normal? 

I do a lot of night driving and I am shocked at the headlight output, then again I'm coming from a mazda 6 that had the LEDs. 

These are the headlights I was looking to upgrade to, I can't tell if they are adaptive or bi xenon. Thanks all. Its nice to be back. 

Screenshot_20210406-182236_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-182233_Facebook.jpg

1 hour ago, StevieIRL said:

but if I didn't care for the adaptive side of things, could I still just plug them in and use them as normal?

I'm afraid you're going to have to care for the "adaptive side of things". You'll fail your MOT without all the self-levelling and washer jets and probably end up blinding people on the road too.

The problem with 10 year old projector headlights is the bowls burning out giving a really dim output. They're a bit better than halogens but don't expect a collapsed sun like you get with modern cars with LED's.

Those headlights are the adaptive units as they have the gap to the left and right of the projector lens ( to allow it to swivel, Bi-Xenons don't swivel ). They still use a normal halogen bulb though.

As above though, you'll need to get it all to work. No idea if it's a straight swap.

Hello.

I spoke to the Auto electricians about the LED Bulbs, as I had put some in my old MK3 and wanted put them in my MK4, he advised not too, but if I must bring the car to him. I was told there is a new type of bulb on the marked which is as bright as LEDs. However, I do know Halfords do the LEDs and used to do a kit. Fords also do a conversion kit for their MK6 Mondeos, which also fit MK 5 and MK4. its a straight one out one in swop.  

On 4/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, 007 Mondeo said:

Hello.

I spoke to the Auto electricians about the LED bulbs, as I had put some in my old MK3 and wanted put them in my MK4, he advised not too, but if I must bring the car to him. I was told there is a new type of bulb on the marked which is as bright as LEDs. However, I do know Halfords do the LEDs and used to do a kit. Fords also do a conversion kit for their MK6 Mondeos, which also fit MK 5 and MK4. its a straight one out one in swop.  

There are several very good LED Bulbs, unfortunately until UK legislation catches up they'll remain illegal regardless of their performance.

• Like 1

Changes to the UK MOT test that came in to force this January will mean that any vehicle that was not factory built with LED or HID lights will fail the MOT. This seems to include any professional kit even if using the same parts as the OEM. I'm not sure how an MOT testing station will know if the car was built with LED or HID lights but perhaps there is a way of knowing from the VIN

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi

on the end of the conversation, are those headlights plug and play or you have to do some wiring ?