Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To buy or not to buy? (ZetecS/ST/ST Line)

Elsie

I had a choice between another fez  st or a st line, I decided to go for the st line, the horror year I had with the st I just can’t get out of my head 😂

Thanks everyone.

I've decided that I don't feel confident enough about the 1.0 ecoboost, but will strongly consider the 1.6 ecoboosts, though I have some reservations about coolant loss and engine head warp/cracking still. What exactly were the issues, and have they actually been rectified or just a warning sensor added (and what does it warn of)? Is it realistically likely still to be an issue if it's driven 'reasonably' sensibly?

Hearing a fair bit about coolant loss, pipes, tanks, etc going too - is this as worrying an issue as on the 3 cylinder models?

Or maybe an older 1.6?? My current 1.25 is on an 09 plate, 67k miles; maybe an equivalent with a good history but pre ecoboost? (When is this? Seen some 118bhp Zetec S/Titaniums on 59 and 60 plates.) Is there any difference/less risk (obviously older engines/cars so more risk in other ways)?

You said you were looking at a 66 plate, the coolant issues was for early build cars 13-64 plate.

The coolant header tank and some of the hoses are the same or similar design/construction on the 1.0 and 1.6, the small diameter hose into the header tank can become brittle, header tanks can as well but new are about £30 if you want to swap it when you buy the car for piece of mind.

Thanks. I know that the recall was for the 2013-14 engines, but I've read a fair bit about ongoing coolant system issues (leaks, tanks cracking, constant low levels) and them generally eating coolant (whether that means getting into oilways, bores or otherwise, because of warped heads or whatever). 

Really can't pin down exactly what the issues are, but there seem to be some ongoing, even if not the original recall overheating issue.

Lines and tanks for peace of mind I could indeed replace. Head not so much.

I understood that the 1.6 recall added in a coolant level sensor, but I looked at a 66 ST which had almost no coolant in the expansion tank (way below minimum - one wonders why...) and there were no warning lights. (Was it actually a level sensor, or a temperature one?)

Look long and hard enough on the Internet and you'll find similar horror stories about pretty much every engine ever made.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elsie said:

Thanks. I know that the recall was for the 2013-14 engines, but I've read a fair bit about ongoing coolant system issues (leaks, tanks cracking, constant low levels) and them generally eating coolant (whether that means getting into oilways, bores or otherwise, because of warped heads or whatever). 

Really can't pin down exactly what the issues are, but there seem to be some ongoing, even if not the original recall overheating issue.

Lines and tanks for peace of mind I could indeed replace. Head not so much.

I understood that the 1.6 recall added in a coolant level sensor, but I looked at a 66 ST which had almost no coolant in the expansion tank (way below minimum - one wonders why...) and there were no warning lights. (Was it actually a level sensor, or a temperature one?)

If your car hasn’t given you any problems, keep it. You take a risk with any used car, you can’t fully know the history, get it checked over by the AA or RAC if they still do inspections, buy a warranty, stop looking for faults on the internet, that’s all you’ll find and it’ll give a skewed view of the reliability. 

Ive had the only time any of my 3 STs have been into a garage was for servicing or modifications and 3 warranty claims. 3 warranty claims sounds bad on the one car doesn’t it. 2 were for failed illuminated sills the other for sagging material on the passenger sun visor. 

• Like 1

Have you been on fiestaSTOC and joined up to have a good look in the tech section? I don’t think these issues are as common as your research leads you to believe.

Thanks Mark. So it was a level sensor.

I have looked in many owners' club sites, actually where I'm picking up reports of coolant losses, etc. Not necessarily the recall overheating issue but still just trying to get my head around it. Given the number of cars out there and the generally very good reports, it's probably nothing to worry about than with any other used car, I agree.

I would love to keep mine, a cheaper option too even if I spent a bit on refurb/replace suspension, steering etc (67k miles), but it's just proving too underpowered for my local hilly, twisty roads, and when needing to pull out into our very busy A roads in front of fast moving hgvs, so I need a bit more torque, etc. Also, frankly, just fancied treating itself yo something more sporty again.

I do fancy an ST 1.6 very much; just got spooked by the one I saw and the low coolant level. May or may not be an issue, of course; may yet even buy it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club