Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta turbo leaking coolant

Choco107

So I was driving down the road and stopped at traffic lights and a plume of smoke came rising from the bonnet. I brought it home and spotted a tiny jet of coolant spraying from one of what looks like a coolant plug. Top one in the picture . Any idea where I would get one of these. ?? I'd imagine a pin hole is in the plug. Car is 2017 with only 32k.

IMG_20210407_202623.jpg

For any body else this happens to. The plug is corroded from the inside . Ting pin hole rusted through. Plug measures 14mm X 5mm. Most engine rebuilders should stock the plug. Opened the coolant cap aswell and spilt in two lol. 

IMG_20210408_155925.jpg

IMG_20210408_161756.jpg

• 1 year later...

My 2018 fiesta, with only 18k just developed this same problem ! Thanks to this thread I managed to pin point the issue and stainless replacement plugs ordered. 

This clearly is starting to become an issue with the turbos as I've now seen at least four other threads for corroded turbo core plugs. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This has happened to my fiesta, weird because I got the coolant tank replaced a few days ago so I thought they broke a pipe or fit a dodgy tank but I dont see how that would of caused it.

Also if anyone sees this, just out of curiosity, what are those plugs for? Will the turbo need to be taken out to replace it? (Edit: Nvm I assume it will have to be taken out lol)

12 hours ago, Pigeon12 said:

Also if anyone sees this, just out of curiosity, what are those plugs for?

They're fitted to stop the coolant falling out. 🤭

Serious answer is that that part is made of cast iron.  Cast iron is formed using sand moulds so there needs to be holes in it to get the sand out afterwards.  The plugs are literally there just to block up the holes from manufacturing.  They do also serve a secondary purpose, in that if the anti-freeze is poor and the coolant freezes inside a cast part on a cold night, those plugs should blow before the cast part cracks.  Replacing a plug is much cheaper than replacing a turbo or engine block for example.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

They're fitted to stop the coolant falling out. 🤭

It didnt do a very good job then 🤣

• Haha 1