Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mhev tyre pressure

Andyr55

Just collected my new car and noticed on Ford pass that the pressures appeared high.

on investigation on the in car plate and manual the pressures are now 38 all round.

on my previous focus it was always 33 

any resident experts have an explanation? 

What size are they?. The ones on my 2019 1.5 are 195 65 16 and are also 38 psi.

I can only assume that if you also have quite high profile and high load and speed rated tyres then they need to have quite a high pressure so they don't collapse. Your car must be a lot heavier than a non mhev also.

They will also probably have less rolling resistance, so the combination of tyre type and pressure may have been selected to keep the emissions down. 

Make sure to check the tyre pressures when the tyres are cold, like first thing in the morning when the car has stood overnight. The tyre pressures shown on the car dashboard (if fitted) and the Ford Pass App will be higher if the car has been recently driven and the tyres are warm.

38psi is probably correct as your car will be heavier. Check on the inside of the door post and it will have the correct "Tire" (Ford can't spell) pressure on a label

Thanks all

the ‘tire’ pressure shows as 38, just seem high when you are used to 33 year after year! 

43 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Your car must be a lot heavier than a non mhev also.

I can't see that being the case.  The MHEV generator is barely any bigger than an alternator and the battery fits under the passenger seat.

You're spot on otherwise though, Titanium 16's now get 60 profile tyres to try and hide the lack of comfort from the twist beam...but that means they need to be pumped up solid for the emission's rating, reducing the comfort anyway... 🤦‍♂️

I must admit, even on my Active (215/50/18, 30mm height increase and multi-link) the car isn't very comfortable over rough ground.  I don't understand how they've got the suspension so wrong on the Mk4's when the Mk2's seemed to ride so well on 205/55/16s without compromising the handling too much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I can't see that being the case.  The MHEV generator is barely any bigger than an alternator and the battery fits under the passenger seat.

Yes, I think I read somewhere that the whole MHEV system adds 30kg or less to the total weight.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't understand how they've got the suspension so wrong on the Mk4's when the Mk2's seemed to ride so well on 205/55/16s without compromising the handling too much.

I also remember the Mk 2 as having a very good ride. Perhaps it's because it's nearly 10 years since I had one and the roads have deteriorated a heck of a lot since then!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I also remember the Mk 2 as having a very good ride. Perhaps it's because it's nearly 10 years since I had one and the roads have deteriorated a heck of a lot since then!

The roads may be exaggerating the difference, but I swapped from a Mk2.5 Titanium to a Mk3 Titanium and noticed the difference immediately.  Kept my wheels so it can only have been the suspension.  The firmer seats didn't help either.  

The Mk4 is worse still, though admittedly slightly lower profile tyres on both the TX and AXVE that I've now tried (literally only 5mm sidewall difference).  I'm hoping to get an extended test drive in a Mk8 Golf Style to see if VW have also forgotten how to make suspension since the noughties.  Sadly to get any spec you have to have 17s on the Golf now, still the VAG favourite 225/45/17...which were awful on my old A3 Sport, so I'm not holding out much hope for the Golf... :unsure: 

4 hours ago, unofix said:

"Tire" (Ford can't spell)

Fun fact: the American spelling of tire is actually (for once :biggrin:) the correct one! In the 1920's there was a UK firm called Tyres Tires and their advertising was so successful that, much like a Hoover is a vacuum cleaner, the spelling with a 'y' became synonymous with tires.

• Like 5

Hi Anubs, thank you for that fun fact --- I didn't know Hoover made vacuums 🤣

• Haha 2

Stephen Fry would be proud ! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi Anubs, thank you for that fun fact --- I didn't know Hoover made vacuums 🤣

Gets confusing when we've got a Whirlpool cooker and a Hoover washing machine...  Went to write my shopping list with a Bic last week and just cut holes in the paper... :unsure: 

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club