Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5 ecoboost remap

nice_pockets

Hello all, just joined the club - but actually on my 3rd Ford.

I have a Focus 1.5 ecoboost (150) and am looking at getting a remap with Superchips (who claim a potential 47bhp increase).

Will be my first mod to the car, and I am interested to know if anyone has any experience (I am sure many do!)

Cheers

Mk3 or Mk4 and manual or auto? (There's 2 types of 1.5L Ecoboost I believe - a 4 cylinder and a 3 cylinder.)

I'm slightly curious as well for my (just ordered) Australian Mk4 1.5L 180hp auto. I think it has an 8F24 transmission (can anyone confirm?) and Superchips claims to boost 60Nm of torque - which worries me because I think the '24' in 8F24 means rated to 240Nm of torque, not 300Nm.

So either I'm wrong and I have an 8F35 transmission, or Superchips is confident the 8F24 is capable of tolerating a lot more than its nominal torque :sweat:

The remap might also push the stock engine parts and turbo a little hard? I guess the 3 cylinder 150 engine wouldn't be strained at 180 though since it's a factory variant anyway.

The 3 cyl should be good to 200ps as that's what it's got in the Fiesta ST.  The torque might be a worry yes if it's auto.

I can look up my details tomorrow, I've got the gearbox type in a doc but it's on my work laptop.

• Thanks 1

Based on the information shown on the topicstarters profile he has a 2017 Focus MK3.5.

The Focus MK3.5 has the old 4-Cilinder 1.5 ECOboost (Sigma GTDI). This engine was designed for low emissions and fuel economy and performance wise this engine has a major weakness. The 1.5 Sigma GTDI engine has a watercooled intercooler instead of the common aircooled intercooler. The watercooled intercooler system shares the reservoir with the engine cooling system. This basically means that warm engine coolant is used to cool the charged air. This is way less efficient than an aircooled intercooler.

The capacity of the watercooled intercooler of the 1.5 Sigma GTDI engine is just sufficient for the standard 182 HP version. Remapping usually results in increased engine temperatures because the charged air is not sufficiently cooled inside the intercooler and also warms up the coolant that is used to cool the engine. Engine damage caused by local overheating inside the engine block is not uncommon on this engine after remapping.

• Like 3

My mk4 1.5 182 has this gearbox:

Transmission:

8 Speed Auto Trans 8F24

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Transmission: 8 Speed Auto Trans 8F24

Thanks for checking. I'd be surprised if my ordered Mk4 isn't the same. The 8F35 is likely for one of the diesel Focuses (35 probably = 350 max. rated torque).

Going by my test drive I think I'll be very happy with 134kW/240Nm, but it was raining heavily so I couldn't push it much or hear the motor well.

Mountune's Mk4 1.5L remap (manual only but auto coming I heard) looks a bit more cautious than Superchips UK's (not sure if Superchips UK does the auto).

The Australian Superchips site for the Mk4 auto 1.5L says,

Our remap not only enhances the performance of the 3 cylinder 'Dragon' engine and delivers a smoother drive, it also improves the transmission behaviour, which is erratic from the factory. This provides a gearbox and ECU remap in one package!

from: https://www.superchips.com.au/ford-focus-1-5-mk4-ecu-tune-ecu-remap.html

They take it to a peak torque of 290Nm which seems risky to me for the 8F24.

Yeah I know what you mean.  A lot of people have lunched the clutches in their diesels by going for the ultimate remap.

Can you not get a remap that is a little less power/torque?  I remember when I had my Bora P130, there were remaps to 170bhp/290lbft and 190bhp/320lb ft.

I chose the 170 remap as it kept it within the clutch torque rating.

They only advertise their standard remap but perhaps they could customise. It would also be nice if they could customise the Sport, Normal and Eco behaviour of the auto transmission... I've read about annoying gear-hunting in some conditions.

I emailed Superchips Australia to ask if they can disable cylinder deactivation and they said they don't know if any tuner would do it. (I thought 'could or would?'.)

I've had this remap on my MK4 1.5 182 for over a year now. No problems with gearbox at all. Totally changes the car it's fantastic and should be how it came out of factory, I fully recommend it. I got the Bluefin so can take it off for when car goes for servicing

I've not had a problem with gear hunting in mine.

8 hours ago, Jonny be good said:

I've had this remap on my MK4 1.5 182 for over a year now. ...

Sounds fun and good to hear you've had no problems but I'd only consider it if I find the factory performance lacking and after more research. Also I thought it's possible that the newer the build and firmware, the more likely logs are kept somewhere of tuning flashes, especially with the modem-connected cars.

Oh, and do you have the auto or manual?

7 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

I've not had a problem with gear hunting in mine.

I think there's 2 separate things people were talking about. The first was maybe just people not being used to the 8 gears and how they try to keep the RPM so low for economy, and the second people noticing the cylinder deactivation, which I guess can compound the 'indecisive' feeling of the transmission.

• Like 1

Yeah I've not noticed that either.  It did bug me at first that the focus didn't get the 200bhp version. 

That said it took a good 3000 miles before the engine loosened up properly.  Now at 9k it's free revving and lots of power.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have a 2020 focus active x 150. I would like a remap to make it a 180 or there abouts.. I live near Darlington Co Durham.. has anyone got any recommendation of someone... 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club