Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding reversing camera or sensors to Focus mk3

ST OLD BOY

Hi

New to the club having recently upgraded my old 2002 Focus Ghia to an 2017 ST I’ve always wanted. One thing I struggle with is reversing and knowing how close I am to an obstruction like another car. I’ve read about getting either reversing sensors or a camera installed by a third party to the sync 3 system. I wondered if others have had this done and how good a job companies do this and also does it increase the cost of your insurance as it is a modification and invalidate Ford extended warranty I purchased with the car. General advice and experience from you guys. Thanks.

Hello ST Old Boy (Jason) welcome to the Ford Owners Club. So the answers are: Yes - OK - No - Probably.

Yes lots of people have added a reverse camera and/or parking sensors to a Focus 2017. There is a couple of very long threads posted here with some very good information on how to do it. A lot can depend on whether or not your car has the little grey connector hidden behind the panel in the boot or not. Just use the search at the top of the page and check for "reverse camera"

OK - companies that fit after market cameras and parking sensors mostly do an OK job, like everything some are much better than others and it depends on how much you want to spend prices can be between £200 and £900, do you want a camera and parking sensors and do you want them full integrated with your Sync system?

No it does not affect the price of your insurance. It is an addtion but its also an added safety device.

Probably will invalidate your extended warranty if you get the work done by someone other than Ford, and if you do get a Ford dealer to do the work you can add another "1" infront of the prices above. Most Ford dealers are not keen to add stuff in to the exsisting Sync system but will offer 3rd party add-ons like what you can buy from Halfords.

• Like 1

I didn't have the grey connector in my 2017 focus, I fitted the camera myslef for less than £50, I used a 54pin APIM adapter.

The camera worked just as OEM would apart form not having the lines that move when you steer.

• Like 4

I got a 20 odd quid from Aliexpress. Run cabling and config using forscan takes about 3 hours. Longest part is running the yellow rca cable to the front. 

There's a whole thread on adding sensors 

• Like 1

Thanks all. I found that other thread and it was very helpful. I’m not confident with pulling cars apart so will probably go with a company that does them. I need to check if my warranty will be void if I get it done though. 

my reverse camera loom turned up yesterday, but the wires are different colours

it's a bit hit and miss finding the parts but the plug and playability if you have the stuff already there literally is plug and play

good luck 🙂

• Like 1

I checked I don’t have the grey plug as I expected. I found a place in Chelmsford that seems to fit and supply cameras so will give them a go. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, ST OLD BOY said:

Hi

New to the club having recently upgraded my old 2002 Focus Ghia to an 2017 ST I’ve always wanted. One thing I struggle with is reversing and knowing how close I am to an obstruction like another car. I’ve read about getting either reversing sensors or a camera installed by a third party to the sync 3 system. I wondered if others have had this done and how good a job companies do this and also does it increase the cost of your insurance as it is a modification and invalidate Ford extended warranty I purchased with the car. General advice and experience from you guys. Thanks.

Hi.

Hopefully this won't effect your insurance but if you do have any issues then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club