Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofitting “Convenience Pack” to a 2021 Ford Focus ST-Line Edition

DylanM_64

Hi all,

I recently bought a brand new 2021 Focus ST-Line Edition with a few extras on it. I’m wondering now if it’s now possible to retrofit the “convenience pack” which includes the wide rear view camera, door edge protectors and active park assist (manual transmission). I’m not too pushed about the park assist but I’m sure it couldn’t be that big of a job to get the rear view camera and door edge protectors fitted by a main dealer. The extras I got were the BLIS, front fixed LED headlights and the heated seats & heated steering wheel combo. With the BLIS I’d imagine the extra sensors would be there for the park assist. 

Can anyone give me a definite answer? Thank you all in advance.

Dylan

BLIS has radar sensors in in the rear 1/4s behind the bumper.

To upgrade to auto parking (as part of conv pack) you would need to add the additional x4 parking sensors in the front and rear bumpers (on the sides), overlay the additional wires in to the bumper harnesses for the additional x4 sensors, probably have to overlay the additional wires for the additional x4 sensors in the main cabin harness and front-end harness, then you would possibly need to change the PAM (Park Aid Module) to support the extra sensors (frt/rear PAM may support)

You would then need to change the console switchpack to support auto park activation and change a few configuration settings in the BCM, PCM, APIM, SCM and ABS modules to get it to work. Complicated but do-able once you've fitted the hardware (Get the VIN of a vehicle with the exact spec as yours PLUS conv pack, download the asbuilt files for that VIN and transfer to your car's modules)

Door edge protectors just bolt on, but from inside the door so you have to strip the door down.

Rear camera would require the camera wiring to be overlaid into the tailgate and through the cabin up to the APIM, then just turn it on in the APIM configuration. No one has done this yet, AFAIK, on a MK4.

Remember, to do the overlays you will need the wiring diagrams 

Just to add, because your car has BLIS, there is a chance you have a full cabin harness, so only the bumper harnesses would need overlaying with additional circuits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

BLIS has radar sensors in in the rear 1/4s behind the bumper.

To upgrade to auto parking (as part of conv pack) you would need to add the additional x4 parking sensors in the front and rear bumpers (on the sides), overlay the additional wires in to the bumper harnesses for the additional x4 sensors, probably have to overlay the additional wires for the additional x4 sensors in the main cabin harness and front-end harness, then you would possibly need to change the PAM (Park Aid Module) to support the extra sensors (frt/rear PAM may support)

You would then need to change the console switchpack to support auto park activation and change a few configuration settings in the BCM, PCM, APIM, SCM and ABS modules to get it to work. Complicated but do-able once you've fitted the hardware (Get the VIN of a vehicle with the exact spec as yours PLUS conv pack, download the asbuilt files for that VIN and transfer to your car's modules)

Door edge protectors just bolt on, but from inside the door so you have to strip the door down.

Rear camera would require the camera wiring to be overlaid into the tailgate and through the cabin up to the APIM, then just turn it on in the APIM configuration. No one has done this yet, AFAIK, on a MK4.

Remember, to do the overlays you will need the wiring diagrams 

Just to add, because your car has BLIS, there is a chance you have a full cabin harness, so only the bumper harnesses would need overlaying with additional circuits.

Thanks for your response Dave. Could the above (exl. park assist) be done at a main dealership if I decided to get the extras? 

26 minutes ago, DylanM_64 said:

Thanks for your response Dave. Could the above (exl. park assist) be done at a main dealership if I decided to get the extras? 

They "could" do door edge protectors, but the labour costs would be horrendous. (x4 door strip and rebuild)

They wouldn't do camera, No, due to having to overlay wiring onto existing wiring. Plus, they probably wouldn't know how to enable camera in the module either.

The camera is do-able as it's only wiring, but you need the correct wiring otherwise it won't connect to the screen (APIM) properly

• Like 1

The door protectors are simple to fit and can be done with simple tools - trim removal and torx head screwdriver. Strip the door card off and bolt them in, refit door card and job done. 

Rear camera - 2 ways of doing this. Complete retrofit using expensive OEM parts or a less expensive aftermarket camera and 54pin APIM harness. You will need to reprogramme one line in the APIM using Forscan. If you went aftermarket then you would not get the dynamic steering lines, but you would get the green, yellow, red distance from abstacle markers and the display from the sensors in the top corner of the picture. 

Ford will not entertain a retrofit camera, OEM or aftermarket - it's just something they won't do. I good body shop would do it for you if you supplied the parts or you could do it yourself quite easily. 

Ford would retrofit the protectors but at a price, again a body shop could easily do it for you much cheaper, you'd have to supply the parts. Saying that, it is so easy to do it that you would be best off doing it yourself, if you were local I would do it for you.

• Like 3

Hi Stephen, I'm working on installing a reverse camera on my Mk4 Focus. Do you know if there is any information around on how to get to the 54pin APIM connector. Looking at taking the dashboard apart but so far nothing looks straight forward.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club