Do Not Sell My Personal Information

issues with upgrading to powerfolding mirrors from basic door mk3

Rowan112

Hello, So i currently have a ford focus mk3 2014 edge

I have tried to upgrade my wingmirrors to powerfolding.

I don't have the loom required to have it enabled, so i bought the loom, powerfolding mirrors, door modules, window regulators and the drivers side window switch.
one module is white and the other black, would i be correct the white one is the drivers side?

I have taken the original loom out and put in the new loom (the guy said it's from a 2011 zetec) and the power folding mirrors are from a 2013.

We have tried connecting the new loom on the driver's side door and when we put ignition on, the drivers side window switch does not turn on. 
I have replaced the 2 pin on the window regulator with a 6pin one without having to replace the entire regulator.
we used both of the door modules to see if the module is the problem.
put the 25amp fuses in the boot fuse box (f4-f7)

door locking isn't working.
We have tried using the indicators but they don't turn on but the speaker mades a loud distorting sound like the voltage is not correct.
nothing on the drivers switch is working

So i tried the module in my friend's car and it works fine (he has a focus st 3 2012)

So i am suspecting the wiring loom might be messed up, we have tried both of the wiring loom from the passengers and the drivers on the driver's side.
I have not tried doing the loom on the passengers side yet due to the issues arrising

we even programmed it to see if that was causing the problem but nope, not a problem. 

I don't have rear electric windows, but i wouldn't expect that to be cause of the problem, even though i do have both the black and grey connectors that connects to the door loom. (which makes me suspect i already have the floor wiring for rear electric windows)

7 hours ago, Tezza said:

read this

I did follow that. We replaced the loom, the drivers door switch, installed some relays, replaced the regulators (well actually just replaced the 2pin to a 6pin part), connected the loom to the parts.
indicator was not working, Speakers was making a really bad buzzing noise (suspecting the voltage), window switch was not lighting up, window controls was not working.

IMG_3623.thumb.jpg.f433c559bc3d19e662ed558a31bda8fd.jpg

Interesting thing to note is that i already had both connectors connected to the original loom, while Cris_W's second connector was hidden.

You probably don't have harness support in the main cabin harness, or some configuration changes need to be made to recognise the door modules. Is the standard BCM compatible?

I'm sure white is passenger side, does it not say on the unit?

Also, why have you updated the window regulators? Had you only got electric front windows? Have you updated the rear to electric as well?

I have looked into this mod for our 2017, but there's a lot of changes need to be made, especially making sure the cabin harness is compatible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

You probably don't have harness support in the main cabin harness, or some configuration changes need to be made to recognise the door modules. Is the standard BCM compatible?

I'm sure white is passenger side, does it not say on the unit?

Also, why have you updated the window regulators? Had you only got electric front windows? Have you updated the rear to electric as well?

I have looked into this mod for our 2017, but there's a lot of changes need to be made, especially making sure the cabin harness is compatible. 

because you need to have the 6 pin regulators, I only had front electric windows.

i didn't update the rear ones, i wasn't going to until sometime after getting this done. Did not know rear windows was a requirement to get this done.

1 hour ago, Rowan112 said:

i didn't update the rear ones, i wasn't going to until sometime after getting this done. Did not know rear windows was a requirement to get this done.

I think it may be all linked, I'm not sure, I haven't delved that deep yet as i was only in the planning stages (browsing the differences between the frt elec set up against frt/rear set up.) But I did discover that the systems are completely different.

If the rears aren't there it may cause a fault (open circuit?????)

You say the one harness was from a zetec, is that compatible with all round windows and powerfolds?

I'm clutching at straws, I know.

My advice would've been to fetch all the parts you require off the same donor car and retro-fit to yours, once you have confirmed cabin harness is compatible.

I'm pretty sure, once you switch to door modules, they control the latches, not BCM anymore, you may have configuration conflict going on.

You should also change the passenger window lift switch to support one shot functionality.

You desperately need someone who has done this conversion to assist, I know what I'm doing, I just haven't done THAT so, like I said, I'm clutching at straws.

Maybe convert the car back to standard until you're confident of all the upgrades (and software config changes) you need to make, then do it all in one go.

I reckon you'll need a BCM from an all rounder too

7 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

I think it may be all linked, I'm not sure, I haven't delved that deep yet as i was only in the planning stages (browsing the differences between the frt elec set up against frt/rear set up.) But I did discover that the systems are completely different.

If the rears aren't there it may cause a fault (open circuit?????)

You say the one harness was from a zetec, is that compatible with all round windows and powerfolds?

I'm clutching at straws, I know.

My advice would've been to fetch all the parts you require off the same donor car and retro-fit to yours, once you have confirmed cabin harness is compatible.

I'm pretty sure, once you switch to door modules, they control the latches, not BCM anymore, you may have configuration conflict going on.

You should also change the passenger window lift switch to support one shot functionality.

You desperately need someone who has done this conversion to assist, I know what I'm doing, I just haven't done THAT so, like I said, I'm clutching at straws.

Maybe convert the car back to standard until you're confident of all the upgrades (and software config changes) you need to make, then do it all in one go.

I reckon you'll need a BCM from an all rounder too

yeah focus city has recommended this, they're going to make me a package for all the windows. hopefully not too expensive and i can have a look

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club