Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Start Stop Not working

Glenn65

Bought a 2019 Focus Vignale about a month ago, all was fine and the start stop worked as it should, now nothing.

I know a lot of you don’t like it anyway, but I’m a believer if a car has a function it should work.

I’ve seen on the Fiesta to reset it you flash the lights and press the brake pedal which I’ve tried, it did flash the battery light but the start stop still give the greyed A and isn’t working.

everything else is working fine and no issues starting etc. 

As a 2019 model with only 10k miles on the clock I struggle to think it’s the battery?

Hi Glenn, if you do find out why your S/S system doesn't work please let me know - I would love for mine not to work, would be happy to buy a broken battery if that would kill it dead.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi Glenn, if you do find out why your S/S system doesn't work please let me know - I would love for mine not to work, would be happy to buy a broken battery if that would kill it dead.

Mine works too. I don’t mind it, in an automatic with auto hold on it’s ok. Without auto hold i wouldn’t want it though. 

battery capacity below required threshold usually because of infrequent vehicle use and short journeys only. Literally hundreds of posts on this issue on the forum

Don't even notice it in a manual.  It restarts when you press the clutch (or select a gear) so running by the time you try to move off. :smile:

Tap of the accelerator in the auto. Easy to judge when to start it. Can stop it engaging by braking gently to a stand still. I don’t get the issue with it. If it’s slowing u down....sports mode is the answer. Especially in a diesel 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Glenn65 said:

but I’m a believer if a car has a function it should work

100%

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Must be crap in a manual? 

Nope, it’s an auto with all the bells and whistles.

17 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

Battery capacity below required threshold usually because of infrequent vehicle use and short journeys only. Literally hundreds of posts on this issue on the forum

Cheers, maybe look into that, it does get a lot of short runs but even after a longish (20 mile round trip) run it didn’t work.

Bit of a bummer if it’s that sensitive, I thought it was just my old XJ that was fussy about the battery condition.

He’s right , there’s hundreds of posts on here about it. battery has to be 80% minimum is the mainly accepted reason. In my eyes you shouldn’t have to drive it long distances regularly. Should work regardless (within reason) 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

He’s right , there’s hundreds of posts on here about it. Battery has to be 80% minimum is the mainly accepted reason. In my eyes you shouldn’t have to drive it long distances regularly. Should work regardless (within reason) 

I agree. I appreciate cars these days have more electronics and gadgets than you know what to do with, but if the have a function it shouldn’t need a battery that’s not even 3/4 way through it’s life, kinda defeates the eco side of the feature.

Sorry, I’m new to this forum (although not to Fords) and any searches I tried to be honest never gave me anything. I’m sure as time goes on I’ll get familiar with it.

5 minutes ago, Glenn65 said:

I agree. I appreciate cars these days have more electronics and gadgets than you know what to do with, but if the have a function it shouldn’t need a battery that’s not even 3/4 way through it’s life, kinda defeates the eco side of the feature.

Sorry, I’m new to this forum (although not to Fords) and any searches I tried to be honest never gave me anything. I’m sure as time goes on I’ll get familiar with it.

You could Search for days mate ...there’s no quick fix. It’s your luck it seems. My first few months (had the car from new Oct 2019) worked every time. Had 2/3 month’s didn’t work. Last year it’s been working. I’m not that fussed either way but agree it should work. My pal has a 2016 mondeo says the S/S works every time..5 years. Apart from that , you liking the car? A Vignale? Which engine? 

6 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

You could Search for days mate ...there’s no quick fix. It’s your luck it seems. My first few months (had the car from new Oct 2019) worked every time. Had 2/3 month’s didn’t work. Last year it’s been working. I’m not that fussed either way but agree it should work. My pal has a 2016 mondeo says the S/S works every time..5 years. Apart from that , you liking the car? A Vignale? Which engine? 

It’s the 2.0 diesel auto, hoping it should do the job to tow our caravan. It’s the Purple (mauve) colour and seems to have most gadgets working OK, still to try the parking.

Drives great though, it’s bought for the wife to use. She had a 2005 Focus before that, but it was showing its age and starting to go underneath, so decided to get her something nice for a change.

Maybe with all this lockdown stuff we haven’t been venturing very far so now things are lifting it can get a proper run and se if that pokes the start stop in the eye and get it to work. No biggy, just annoying.

My daily is a 2.7 tdvi XJ that I’ve had for years too.

[url=https://postimg.cc/YGsW6Dff][img]https://i.postimg.cc/PJtQkBCc/EEED5-AE4-837-A-4567-B1-BA-8-A1-E16-F32-EB0.jpg[/img][/url]

Keeping an old  XJ running ain’t cheap! I had to google purple focus! Looks alright, perfect for the Vignale. My STX is desert island blue, suits the whole sporty look. My mothers family all came from Lanarkshire mainly North Lanarkshire. Motherwell  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Glenn65 said:

so decided to get her something nice for a change.

😂 

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

Keeping an old  XJ running ain’t cheap! I had to google purple focus! Looks alright, perfect for the Vignale. My STX is desert island blue, suits the whole sporty look. My mothers family all came from Lanarkshire mainly North Lanarkshire. Motherwell  

The blue is nice on the STX. She wanted a more comfy feel rather than sporty hence the Vignale. Still to get some decent pics of it and I’ll start an ownership thread. I’ll give it a proper detail once it gets a bit warmer, still going down to freezing at the mo at night!

The Jag has served me well but can get expensive. It’s going in tomorrow to get the sump changed, it’s starting to go porous as the sump shield has been missing.

What do you guys use to share photos on the forum, on the Jag forum i usually use Postimage.

9 minutes ago, Glenn65 said:

What do you guys use to share photos on the forum, on the Jag forum i usually use Postimage.

I use Apple so it’s just a case of choose file , then it allows me access to my photo library. 

15 minutes ago, Glenn65 said:

hence the Vignale

Vignale is the flagship as you know. But it’s got something my STX should’ve had.....multi link suspension. I’m really not happy with torsion beam. 

25 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Keeping an old  XJ running ain’t cheap!

Did you see the latest episode of Car SOS? An amazing restoration on one...

13 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Vignale is the flagship as you know. But it’s got something my STX should’ve had.....multi link suspension. I’m really not happy with torsion beam. 

I didn’t know that. It certainly drives well, that might explain it, just more things to go wrong down the line though... haha

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Did you see the latest episode of Car SOS? An amazing restoration on one...

I’ll look it out, not seen it yet. The Vignale might have more toys and a lot newer, but the XJ is still smoother and quieter!

10 hours ago, Glenn65 said:

Cheers, maybe look into that, it does get a lot of short runs but even after a longish (20 mile round trip) run it didn’t work.

Bit of a bummer if it’s that sensitive, I thought it was just my old XJ that was fussy about the battery condition.

20 miles doesn't constitute a longish run in this case. The battery will probably only get back what was taken out to start the car up You need long motorway type runs with little gear changing or acceleration to get the battery anywhere back to near 80% charge. Do what lots of us on here are doing particularly during lockdown. Just put a smart charger across it occasionally and you'll get things back to normal. For a while anyway

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

20 miles doesn't constitute a longish run in this case. The battery will probably only get back what was taken out to start the car up You need long motorway type runs with little gear changing or acceleration to get the battery anywhere back to near 80% charge. Do what lots of us on here are doing particularly during lockdown. Just put a smart charger across it occasionally and you'll get things back to normal. For a while anyway

Sounds like a plan, I might give that a try and see what happens.