Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Black Padding under Bonnet of Mk4

CI5 Man
聽Share

When my new Focus arrived, it hadn't really been cleaned properly, shall we say. Among other things, I'd to remove the plastic film on the pedals and under the bonnet. One thing I did see was a piece of black plastic wrapping containing some foam. I assumed this was something else which should have been removed by the dealer before the car was delivered to me, but it's well secured and, as such, I didn't want to tear it out. Can anybody let me know whether the black wrapping can be聽removed or if it's there to protect something? Many thanks.馃檪

IMG_20210413_145422037_HDR.jpg

Hi Chris and welcome to the Ford Owners Club - I am going to assume that you have not pulled the Black Plastic Trim panel off your new car.

The foam in the plastic bag will just be for sound insulation, but you are missing a bit (may be two bits) of your car. see my photos

Black Plastic Drivers side.JPG

Black Plastic Passenger side.JPG

• Like 2

If that is where I think it is then there should be a bit of plastic trim covering it, which forms part of the gutter arrangement to channel water away from the scuttle area.

If it is that part then my car also has that padding on the nearside wing at least and there is an electrical component under it. I haven't bothered to check what the component is.聽

The only reason I know this is because I removed the plastic cover piece on the nearside to clean all the gunge that had acuminated there because my car is parked on a road with a heavy camber.聽

Oh dear! I was a bit confused as I tried to find some pictures of other cars to compare, but they all looked a bit different, possibly because my Focus is the MHEV version. On the offside of car, the windscreen wash filler cap is close to the hinge for the bonnet (look at the new picture I uploaded). However, the nearside looks the same as yours and, therefore, does look like I'm missing a bit of my car. Thanks for your replies!

IMG_20210414_160636113.jpg

Ah !!聽 I see, so on the MHEV they just dump the rain water down inside the inner wing. They should have just put a pipe across to the screen wash bottle and recycled the water.

I' m very concerned about this mhev being like this ...

Can anyone confirm this ?

My MHEV also has the bin liner on the NS, didn't even notice before! :laugh:聽 Looks like you're not missing anything though, just a bit less obvious with mine being grey.

Screenshot_20210414-175553.thumb.png.1333f39348b1e9da7c73d1ccd9369ae0.png

Screenshot_20210414-175607.thumb.png.61a4595ecf038e8c8db134a8203b07d8.png

But why are the plastics there for and more importantly , they will degrate over time ...

Should we worry ?

I wouldn't worry, MHEV's will be long dead before the rust gets through the wings. I bet they will soon be missing on all models as poor Ford needs to save every penny it can, and in the name of saving the planet they will be using less plastic, and the car will weigh less and so less emissions. Everyones a winner - except the owner

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tizer said:

If that is where I think it is then there should be a bit of plastic trim covering it, which forms part of the gutter arrangement to channel water away from the scuttle area.

If it is that part then my car also has that padding on the nearside wing at least and there is an electrical component under it. I haven't bothered to check what the component is.聽

The only reason I know this is because I removed the plastic cover piece on the nearside to clean all the gunge that had acuminated there because my car is parked on a road with a heavy camber.聽

Same here. Removed the plastic trim and was surprised how much crap had accumulated in there and the narrow gaps from the bulkhead were blocked up with bits of twigs and loads.The wadding that's also down there was soaked through too and is placed right onto the inner wing so no idea how it supposed to dry out over time.

1 hour ago, unofix said:

I wouldn't worry, MHEV's will be long dead before the rust gets through the wings. I bet they will soon be missing on all models as poor Ford needs to save every penny it can, and in the name of saving the planet they will be using less plastic, and the car will weigh less and so less emissions. Everyones a winner - except the owner

They've already dropped the engine cover on them!!聽鈽癸笍

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

Same here. Removed the plastic trim and was surprised how much crap had accumulated in there and the narrow gaps from the bulkhead were blocked up with bits of twigs and loads.The wadding that's also down there was soaked through too and is placed right onto the inner wing so no idea how it supposed to dry out over time.

Yes mine was a mess too. Out of curiosity did you notice if there was an electrical component under the padding of your one too.

It was a cold and wet day when I did mine so I did not have a chance to check out what it was. It might have been an Alarm sounder or something to do with the Bliss system that I have, it just seems a strange place to put something when there is plenty of room elsewhere.聽I might satisfy my curiosity when it warms up and have a better look

• Like 1

Interesting that it seems to be on petrol, diesel and MHEV so not engine specific.

Front parking sensor module perhaps?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Front parking sensor module perhaps?

That could be it. If I get a chance tomorrow I will try to take a photo and post it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Yes mine was a mess too. Out of curiosity did you notice if there was an electrical component under the padding of your one too.

It was a cold and wet day when I did mine so I did not have a chance to check out what it was. It might have been an Alarm sounder or something to do with the Bliss system that I have, it just seems a strange place to put something when there is plenty of room elsewhere.聽I might satisfy my curiosity when it warms up and have a better look

No I didn't tbh. I squeezed the wadding as much as I could to release some of the water but it was quite tight and didnt feel or find anything else. Will have a look next time I remove the trim.聽

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I鈥檓 reading your conversation because I鈥檝e been looking for this info online somewhere! I bought the titanium edition focus 1.0 ecoboost in March 2021.

1) there is no engine cover - this looks weird

2)I have an inflated black plastic bag taped to the passengers side under the bonnet above the wing.

3) I have problems with my front left parking sensors going off randomly whilst driving and near nothing.聽
reading between the lines, could I have parking sensor module聽water damage as a result of fords shabby cost saving shoving plastic bags under the bonnet?

• 2 years later...

hi all i no this is a old thread but we got a mrk4.5 focus and just came across this issue after 8 months of the anti collision sensors going off all time in the rain that bag was stopping all the water from draining and was over flowing into the engine bay and that box of tricks was soaking wet, so i have found the issue with the sensors faulting in the rain ? as this new car been in 4 times to fix the system and failed waiting on a total refund, and about to order new car friday.