Do Not Sell My Personal Information

sync3 map update error

bungi

I have just downloaded sync3 map update & file DONTINDX.MSA was missing. I updated car & it said update successful. then it came up with Error code: PKG_ERR03.
 I have dowloaded & tried 3 times. I think the downloaded Zips are corrupt. Anybody else had problems? I phoned Ford today but couldn't get through to the tech dept.

DSC03740 b.jpg

Hello Bungi and welcome to the Ford Owners Club -

17 minutes ago, bungi said:

file DONTINDX.MSA was missing

Its not an important file and it has been missing from the last few updates. It is only to tell your Sync3 system not to index your USB drive so that it makes install a little quicker.

The error you have is that the Sync system if not finding the files on your USB drive.

Did you format the USB  using "exFAT" before you started?

Then you should have created a folder on the USB called "SyncMyRide"

You download the update from the Ford site direct to your PC. Then unzip the files direct in to the folder SyncMyRide on the USB.

Make sure the "Autoinstall" file is on the USB drive but NOT inside the SyncMyRide folder.

Remove any other USB devices you have plugged in to any USB slot on your car.

Start your car and let the Sync system go through its start up, then plug the USB drive in to the front USB slot and go for a very, very, very long drive of about 1 hour or more. The system should say that it is updating at the top of the screen while it is doing the install. Do not for any reason remove the USB until the Sync system tells you to do so. Good Luck ! 😀

"Make sure the "Autoinstall" file is on the USB drive but NOT inside the SyncMyRide folder." Yes, do that and open the autoinstall file which should tell you what it is installing. Match that with the other files on the stick to ensure that they are all there and  if there is one missing, you can either find it and copy it to the stick (recommended,) or edit the autoinstall file which isn't.

Have you checked on Sync 3 to see if the maps have updated.  If it lists maps as F9 then the update has probably been completed.  I kept having this issue and the problem was that it updated succesfully but was not giving an update log code which needs to be uploaded to the ford website to confirm the update.  If this is your problem download the program in this link.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ask-ford/technology/sync-general/sync-update-troubleshooting

Edited by jamkart
typo

On 4/14/2021 at 4:36 PM, bungi said:

I have just downloaded sync3 map update & file DONTINDX.MSA was missing. I updated car & it said update successful. then it came up with Error code: PKG_ERR03.
 I have dowloaded & tried 3 times. I think the downloaded Zips are corrupt. Anybody else had problems? I phoned Ford today but couldn't get through to the tech dept.

DSC03740 b.jpg

Good morning Ken, what is the problem you have ?

The install has not completed ? or that your missing a file?

Try adding the missing file or, do as is asked on the screen.

• 6 months later...

Installed my map update today. Everything went very smoothly but took a little long than what was quoted. I to had the DONTINX.MSA file missing. Only lucky for me I did a software update last week and has luck would have it the said file was in there so just copied it over ,it appears to be empty. So can't say it it works without it.

Hi Jacy, good to know install went smooth.

All installs/updates will still work even without the the DONTINX.MSA it just takes a couple of minutes longer to get started without the file since the Sync system will waste time indexing the USB pen.

• 3 months later...

Good Morning Bungi 

I have exactly the same issue I have upgraded from F9 Maps to F10  but get PKG_ERR03,  I have tried it 3 times, the Usb stick is reformatted to Exfat , all of the download and installation was uninterrupted , I drove 1 1/2 hrs each time  and again it comes up with the same error , it appears to work ok , the system is already on Sync 3.4

Can any body advise  I am losing the will to live? 

The only other thing is it dosent create the log file  which I assume is because it things the instal isn't complete, I don't see DONTINX.MSA on the usb stick

Alan

17 minutes ago, Alan G500 said:

The only other thing is it dosent create the log file  which I assume is because it things the instal isn't complete, I don't see DONTINX.MSA on the usb stick

The 'DONTINX.MSA' is of no importance. It just tells the Sync system "Do Not Index" the USB pen. Without it the system just takes a couple of minutes longer to install.

Recent information is that the 'xml log file' is no longer generated for versions off Sync 3.2 onwards.  The update information is now done automatically 'over the air'. This can take a few days for the Ford server to show that the update has been received and is complete.

You can also just use the CyanLabs website update which seems to be easier and more reliable than the Ford site. It's the same updates and maps just simpler to use.

https://cyanlabs.net/fhub/

Hi Unofix

Thanks for the reply, 

I would appreciate you thoughts 

I formatted the USB to Exfat , the download was uninterrupted, I drove for 1.5 hrs non stop during install, the system re booted , when instructed I stopped  got out waited 2 mins  and  restarted  then continued to drive  it the said installing / after a 5 minutes I stopped and removed the USB as it said installing I was worried it was going to overwrite the files and start all over again having already driven 1.5 hours twice

It then said installation error PKG ERR03 

The maps seem to work ok  , but there is no installation log , I have done this twice  could I be removing the USB too early or is it starting to overwrite the install

I am getting fed up of the ridiculous driving time  I am spending getting no where 

Any advice would be appreciated

Alan

Hello Alan, the whole instructions thing for the Ford updates is inaccurate or at best misleading.

In no particular order let me try and give you some pointers:

(a) Many complain/report that after downloading there is no 'DONTINX.MSA'  - This seems to have been missing for some time now but is totally unimportant. It is simply an instruction to the Sync System to tell it not to bother wasting time indexing the USB pen. If the file is missing (which seems normal these days) it just means the system will waste a couple of minutes while it creates an index of the USB pen. In the great scheme of the update time it's no big deal.

(b) The lack of a completion/installation log file to upload to Ford again seems to now be normal. There are reports that this is now done automatically by the car "Over The Air" using the cars own inbuilt modem/telemetry unit. This does seem to be true but can take 3 or 4 days before the Ford site updates to acknowledge that the car Sync System has in fact been updated.

(c) The installation process is misleading. Firstly you do not have to waste time for an hour or more (probably nearer two) while it does the complete install. Just put the USB in the car and it will install a bit each time you drive the car. There are many files on the USB pen and so it will install each file one at a time. If the install is interrupted then all that happens is the installation resumes from the last complete file it installed. You could be unlucky and it might be 95% of the way through installing a large file when you switch off and so it will have to do that all over again, but in reality that doesn't happen often.

(d) The switch off / restart never ending cycle. This is one of the most confusing parts of the Ford install. After an hour or so you will get a message instructing you to switch off and cycle the ignition. Which many people do. Then installation resumes but seems never to end, sometimes even seeming to go back to the start. This is not actually the case, it would seem that it will go through this loop 2 or 3 times but will eventually pop up a message when you least expect it simply saying installation complete and remove USB. Myself and many others have found the car needs to be parked and locked for at least an hour before the update is actually applied.

In all honesty have used the Ford update system 3 times and the CyanLabs update once I can tell you the later is a far easier site to use, a faster simpler install.

Hi Unofix 

I cannot thank you enough for your advice, it was becoming very time consuming and endless, It makes me feel much better knowing the clarity of instructions is not so clear / contradictory and that its not just my inexperience , the fact that it could upload the installation  log  over the air itself  leaves me feeling I have version F10 it works ok  and next time I will used Cyanlabs

Thanks again for the time you have taken  to write and clarify this 

Alan

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club