Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 2.4 TDCi T350L - Black Smoke - Usage of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge

MarkH7

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Transit ownership, I've got a 2007 MK7 2.4 TDCi which is kicking out some black smoke under acceleration, not excessive but enough for me to want to do something about it.

I've seen some videos on YouTube recommending replacing: air filter, diesel filter, EGR and cleaning the injectors to solve this.

I've already replaced the Air Filter, no change, the fuel filter I was told was replaced 4 months before I bought the vehicle and is a clean Genuine Ford one so I think that might be the case. 

Here is where my questions begin:

1) Should I clean the injectors before going for replacing the EGR?

2) I've seen a video where you can disconnect the feed and return hose to the engine from the Filter and place these into a container containing a cleaning agent like Liqui Moly Diesel Purge with an inline filter and run the engine on that to clean out the injectors. Does anyone have experience of doing this? If so what type of hose connector do you need to clip into the pipes from the filter?

Any other comments or suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

• 1 month later...

On 4/15/2021 at 10:04 PM, MarkH7 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to Transit ownership, I've got a 2007 MK7 2.4 TDCi which is kicking out some black smoke under acceleration, not excessive but enough for me to want to do something about it.

I've seen some videos on YouTube recommending replacing: air filter, diesel filter, EGR and cleaning the injectors to solve this.

I've already replaced the Air Filter, no change, the fuel filter I was told was replaced 4 months before I bought the vehicle and is a clean Genuine Ford one so I think that might be the case. 

Here is where my questions begin:

1) Should I clean the injectors before going for replacing the EGR?

2) I've seen a video where you can disconnect the feed and return hose to the engine from the Filter and place these into a container containing a cleaning agent like Liqui Moly Diesel Purge with an inline filter and run the engine on that to clean out the injectors. Does anyone have experience of doing this? If so what type of hose connector do you need to clip into the pipes from the filter?

Any other comments or suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

I replaced the water separator and put the diesal purge directly in it and ran the full bottle of purge

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bigtone transitowner, van went in for its mot yesterday and failed on discs and pads, which i was expecting, and a leaking caliper which i wasnt. the testing machine blew the seals of the handbrake adjuster which was obviously bearly holding on 😄, just waiting to get the van back before giving the diesel purge a try.

When you said you replaced the water separator, is that the fuel filter under the bonnet that has the water separator built in?

I've got a replacement fuel filter for when I run this diesel purge through.

One thing I will say is the van passed the emissions bit of the mot, I put two cans of liqui moly stop smoke in it a few days before and ragged it around abit. I think the stop smoke is essentially a strong fuel system cleaner. It made an obvious difference to the smoke content coming out and passed emissions test.

I'm hopeful the diesel purge and a new fuel filter will stop the rest.

I'll update once I've ran the diesel purge through.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I've finally got around to running the diesel purge through my van, unfortunately very little "stuff" came out with the cleaner and the black smoke only reduced slightly.

Anyway heres how I did it in case anyone is wondering how it can be done.

This was done on a 2007 MK7 Ford Transit T350L RWD 2.4 TDCi 140hp.

1) I wanted to run a large amount of cleaner so I decided the best approach was to isolate the fuel coming from the tank and instead the fuel rail and high pressure pump with neat diesel purge from a "temporary" tank (also know as a measuring jug)

2) In the rig I built for the temporary tank I used the following:

One  7.89mm female fuel line quick connector attached to one end of some OD 10mm fuel line using a worm clamp to hold it tight. On the other end of about 20cm of the 10mm fuel line I added another 9.89mm female fuel line quick connector again held by a worm clamp.

On my van theres no fuse or relay to pull to disable the in tank fuel pump, so the contraption above fits onto the fuel rail feed male quick connector (9.89mm), and the injector return male quick connector (7.89mm) creating a loop. Tank feeds filter, filter returns to tank.

3) Then for my temporary fuel tank I used a big jug with a handle that nicely slotted into a front cross member hole to hold it in place above the bonnet latch.

4) For the line from my temporary tank to the fuel pump, I used a short piece of 10MM OD fuel line connected to an inline diesel filter secured by worm clamps. Out of the other side of the filter a short piece of 10mm fuel line that connected to a small hand primer pump, secured by worm clamps. Out of the other side of the primer a short piece of 10mm fuel line with a 9.89mm male quick connector when is attached to the fuel pump feed female quick connector that was removed from the fuel filter housing.

5) For the return line to the temporary tank I used some 8mm OD fuel line with a 7.89mm male quick connector at one end that attached to the injector return female quick connector that was removed from the fuel filter housing. The other end of the hose was placed in my temporary tank. This creates the loop for the temporary tank to the engine.

6)fill the temp tank (in my case about 2.5l) with neat diesel purge, before starting the engine we dont want to draw air into the high pressure pump so use the hand primer to pull enough diesel purge through the lines and the inline filter into the feed line until you feel resistance in the primer.

7) start the engine, check theres no leaks at the fuel filter housing connectors and that diesel purge is seen flowing through the inline filter (tilt to one side).

😎 vary the rpm's e.g. idle 5 mins, 2k 5 mins, 3k 2 mins etc until the temp tank is at a level where its about to suck air. Switch off the engine.

9) disconnect hose with female connectors from the fuel filter housing, disconnect temp tank lines from feed and return lines of engine. Reattach feed and return lines of engine to fuel filter housing.

10) clear away temp tank, start the engine, ensure it runs without conking out for about 5 mins otherwise there may be air in the system that needs to be bled.

FYI on my vans fuel filter housing there are four quick connectors. Looking at the housing from the front of the van the two connectors on the right are the feed and return for the fuel tank, leave these alone.

On the left, the connector closest to the front of the van is the injector return, the connector closest to the bulkhead is the fuel pump feed.

I hope this information helps someone, it was straight forward once you had all of the right connectors.

Thanks

Mark

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club