Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wipers stopped working?

UFO-666

Hi all, 2009 s max, got in the car this morning and had no wipers? The jet wash works but no wipers? 

I've taken the scuttle panel off and got a fluke onto the cables going into the motor and they are reading around 11.8 volts, have checked fuse and that's all good, assume wiring is good if I'm getting a steady 11.8 volts, I've also disconnected the live on battery for 40 mins and after firing back up, still nothing? 

Anyone had this before? I guess my next thing would be to change motors out or am I missing something? 

Many thanks 

Check connections on the cjb. The fusebox in the footwell. Check for corrosion/ water ingress. Basically the command to the wipers to work is a linbus wire from cjb to main wiper motor then there's coms wire between the two motors to synchronise the wipers.

Switch ign off. Position the wipers at odd angles to each other then switch ign on and see if they park. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iantt said:

Check connections on the cjb. The fusebox in the footwell. Check for corrosion/ water ingress. Basically the command to the wipers to work is a linbus wire from cjb to main wiper motor then there's coms wire between the two motors to synchronise the wipers.

Switch ign off. Position the wipers at odd angles to each other then switch ign on and see if they park. 

Thanks Ian, I've dropped the CJB and removed all connections then removed the live on the battery over night. No visible signs of loose/water/corrosion on the CJB. I'll be hooking the CJB back up again in a few hours along with battery so I'll let everyone know how I get on. Many thanks 

Well, just been out and clagged everything back up and still nothing 😔. The washers work and the rear wiper just not the front. 

I heard something about it could be alarm related but I'm getting no messages for alarm service etc. 

Hi Dean, did you try and phyically and move the wipers away from their park position by hand as iantt suggested ? If you can move them with the ignition off even just a couple of inches (50mm for our young members😉) then when you turn the ignition on they should self park.

It would prove if power can still get to the wiper motor and give a starting point in the fault finding process

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UFO-666 said:

Well, just been out and clagged everything back up and still nothing 😔. The washers work and the rear wiper just not the front. 

I heard something about it could be alarm related but I'm getting no messages for alarm service etc. 

Alarm can cause wipers to play up but normally when that happens the wipers work without the wipers switched on 

Thanks all, so I've just been out and yanked the wiper up about an inch (was really tight) and then put the ignition on and still nothing. 

So I believe the wipers are on a linbus, I have been playing through the car recently routing wiring etc so I'm wondering if I may have accidentally snipped into the linbus for the wipers? Maybe that makes more sense as the cable to the wipers is a steady 12v and I can only assume the linbus acts like a live switch to tell the wipers to come on? In which case is there a way of measuring with a multimeter (not sure of the wiring but I know into the master motor there are 4 wires) if the linbus is communicating? 

Thanks again all 😃

That sounds strange if the wipers were stiff to move with ign off. They should move very freely to the point of moving them as far as you want independently. 

I'm no expert then it comes to canbus and linbus etc. Modern electrics on cars do my head in. The wiper linbus from the cjb also connects to rain sensor, battery back up sounder, intrusion sensor so I'm guessing any of those could have an effect. Know on previous encounter battery back up sounder/ water ingress in the connector made the wipers go all the time even with ign off. Recently had a transit custom That wipers only worked on fast ( no slow or intermittent)  and that turned out to be rain sensor fault

1618682242630786199827.jpg

16186821956582020007792.jpg

Jeez Ian, I could barely move an inch 🤣 and I'm not weak haha 

This was just now, a considerable amount of force! 

20210417_193749.jpg

There's a  linbus signal  stopping them moving. See if you can find the Fuse for the wipers and pull it out and see if they move. Possibly fuse 22 in engine bay fusebox

• Like 1

So, I've managed to get a power probe from a friend, I've tapped into the wires and give it a positive push and I'm getting nothing so I guess that says the motor is duff? 

Hi Dean, I don't know much about the wiper system on your car but I would say that fault is not the motor for a couple of reasons. I belive your wiper system has two motors - one for each arm. Secondly the type of motors fitted have no holding resistance when they are off. The fact you can't easily move either one would suggest that they are being supplied a holding signal.

That said, someone will probably come along with alot more knowledge on the subject than me and say I'm totally wrong 🥴

• Like 1

Hi, yes what's weird is that when I took the master motor off (disconnected wiring) the other motor moved freely by hand, so I guess you are correct in saying it is getting a stop or hold signal from somewhere? 

Try removing fuse 22 (30Amp) from the fuse box in the engine bay. That should remove the supply to the wiper control.

S-Max.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just a look at the fuse box and it looks ok, no water damage or corrosion etc. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club