Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on buying a new Focus

OilSheikh

I currently have a 2.0L 2007 Automatic Focus.

It is showing it's age as rust has appeared in couple of places. The brake pads and discs also need to be changed. Road tax is also a hefty £360! I love my car as it accelerates rather quick and flies on the motorway. I am in the market for a new Focus with the same power as mine. It seems Ford has stopped making 2.0L Focuses. Which Focus would you recommend I go for that has the same power as my current one?

I have seen these on Autotrader :

2014 1.6 SCTi EcoBoost Titanium for £6.5k ;

2016 Zetec 1.6 for 6k ;

2013 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium for £5k ;

2012 1.0 Ecoboost for £5k ; 

Do Ecoboosts still explode?

4 hours ago, OilSheikh said:

It seems Ford has stopped making 2.0L Focuses.

The ST has both a 2.0L petrol and diesel engine.

I'd go for the titaniums over the zetec and would avoid one of the very early ecoboosts.

• Like 3

Go for the better spec model (Titanium) and 1.6 and you will be happy with your replacment

• Like 1

Thanks.

Is there a difference between Ti-VCT and Ecoboost?
I have also noticed that the new Focuses have a different body shape. Does this mean there is less boot space?

1.6 TI-VCT = 85 HP, 105 HP or 125 HP naturally aspirated engine.
1.6 ECOboost = 150 HP or 182 HP turbocharged engine.

Compared to the Focus MK2 the Focus MK3 has a bit less boot space and also less interior space. Due to the design of the dashboard and centre console the leg space of the driver and (especially) the front passenger is considerably less than it is on the Focus MK2.

• Like 2

Are you still going for an automatic ? The 2016 Zetec 1.6 for 6k option may have the Powershift gearbox in it. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27438193/ford-powershift-transmission-problems/

Hopefully Its a later model when the box was replaced with something better version, but I have to agree with the others, if you can go for Titanium or above 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

Compared to the Focus MK2 the Focus MK3 has a bit less boot space and also less interior space. Due to the design of the dashboard and centre console the leg space of the driver and (especially) the front passenger is considerably less than it is on the Focus MK2.

Ouch. I hate it when new versions are worse than the older versions.

22 minutes ago, kingfisher1967 said:

Are you still going for an automatic ?

Yes, my license is an automatic only 😞

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JW1982 said:

According to rapidcarcheck, the 2014 1.6 SCTi EcoBoost Titanium seems to be 123 BHP only. The seller must have mentioned Ecoboost when the car isn't ?

123 BHP is a 1.6 TI-VCT engine. 

As far as I am aware the 1.6 ECOboost was not available as an automatic.

If you really need a petrol automatic  there are only 3 choices. The 1.6 TI-VCT with a Powershift transmission or the later Focus MK3.5 1.0 ECOboost or 1.5 ECOboost with a conventional torque converter automatic transmission.

The 1.6 TI-VCT engine was available in both 105 HP and 125 HP versions combined with a dual (dry) clutch Powershift transmission. The difference between the 105 HP and 125 HP (automatic) versions is only the PCM software. A 105 HP version can easily be upgraded to 125 HP using the original 125 HP PCM software. Compared to your current 2.0 Duratec HE engine the 1.6 TI-VCT will feel gutless and underpowered.

On the later Focus MK3.5 both the 125 HP 1.0 ECOboost and the 150 HP 1.5 ECOboost became available with an automatic transmission. This is a conventional torque converter automatic transmission which is known to be very reliable. Despite having less power than your current 2.0 Duratec HE engine the 1.0 ECOboost is quite a decent replacement. Because of the wide power range and high torque the 1.0 ECOboost is a really nice engine. The 1.5 ECOboost is also a nice engine but in my opinion it is less lively and has less character than the 1.0 ECOboost. The 1.5 ECOboost automatic is also a lot rarer and usually also more expensive than the 1.0 ECOboost automatic.

• Like 2

My personal thoughts are I would go for the 1.5 ECOboost automatic ---- if you can find one !

• Haha 1

Further to that if you don't mind having a diesel the 2.0 TDCI 163 comes in auto and pretty much sums up the power band on motorways. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Further to that if you don't mind having a diesel the 2.0 TDCI 163 comes in auto and pretty much sums up the power band on motorways. 

I have never driven a diesel. Aren't they meant to have higher road taxes now?

9 hours ago, JW1982 said:

123 BHP is a 1.6 TI-VCT engine. 

As far as I am aware the 1.6 ECOboost was not available as an automatic.

If you really need a petrol automatic  there are only 3 choices. The 1.6 TI-VCT with a Powershift transmission or the later Focus MK3.5 1.0 ECOboost or 1.5 ECOboost with a conventional torque converter automatic transmission.

The 1.6 TI-VCT engine was available in both 105 HP and 125 HP versions combined with a dual (dry) clutch Powershift transmission. The difference between the 105 HP and 125 HP (automatic) versions is only the PCM software. A 105 HP version can easily be upgraded to 125 HP using the original 125 HP PCM software. Compared to your current 2.0 Duratec HE engine the 1.6 TI-VCT will feel gutless and underpowered.

On the later Focus MK3.5 both the 125 HP 1.0 ECOboost and the 150 HP 1.5 ECOboost became available with an automatic transmission. This is a conventional torque converter automatic transmission which is known to be very reliable. Despite having less power than your current 2.0 Duratec HE engine the 1.0 ECOboost is quite a decent replacement. Because of the wide power range and high torque the 1.0 ECOboost is a really nice engine. The 1.5 ECOboost is also a nice engine but in my opinion it is less lively and has less character than the 1.0 ECOboost. The 1.5 ECOboost automatic is also a lot rarer and usually also more expensive than the 1.0 ECOboost automatic.

Thank you. That's a brilliant explanation.

1 hour ago, OilSheikh said:

I have never driven a diesel. Aren't they meant to have higher road taxes now?

I pay 10.93 a month for tax for the 2.0 TDCI 163.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 4:43 AM, OilSheikh said:

I currently have a 2.0L 2007 Automatic Focus.

It is showing it's age as rust has appeared in couple of places. The brake pads and discs also need to be changed. Road tax is also a hefty £360! I love my car as it accelerates rather quick and flies on the motorway. I am in the market for a new Focus with the same power as mine. It seems Ford has stopped making 2.0L Focuses. Which Focus would you recommend I go for that has the same power as my current one?

I have seen these on Autotrader :

2014 1.6 SCTi EcoBoost Titanium for £6.5k ;

2016 Zetec 1.6 for 6k ;

2013 1.6 Ti-VCT Titanium for £5k ;

2012 1.0 Ecoboost for £5k ; 

Do Ecoboosts still explode?

I'd be more concerned that all of those vehicles listed are the DPS6 powershift gearbox that causes nothing but trouble.

I'm afraid to say that if you want an Automatic but only want to spend around £5-6K, get a VW (Group) or BMW as the powershift box is too unreliable

• Like 2

11 hours ago, F0CUE said:

I pay 10.93 a month for tax for the 2.0 TDCI 163.

2.0 TDCI tax is a rip off...  My 2.0 TDI Golf is only £30 a year!  And funny enough, they do offer the monthly option for that amount as well! :laugh:

For reference though, proposed diesel tax increases have not gone ahead so far.  Instead using LEZ and ULEZ zones to externally tax diesels in specific areas.

The tax on all cars under £40k, petrol and diesel, registered from April 1st 2017 is now a flat rate of £155.  So no saving for buying diesels or puny petrols any more!

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

I'm afraid to say that if you want an Automatic but only want to spend around £5-6K, get a VW (Group) or BMW as the powershift box is too unreliable

I'm a DSG fan (fascinated by the way it works, my brain just can't accept the drive of it haha!) but I wouldn't bother with one costing £5-6k...  You'll be looking at a massive bill for the mechatronics unit or clutch pack at some point.

Probably better off with a torque converter auto in that price bracket...not sure if there are many though.  I assume the BMW uses a DSG type box?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

2.0 TDCI tax is a rip off...  My 2.0 TDI Golf is only £30 a year!  And funny enough, they do offer the monthly option for that amount as well! :laugh:

For reference though, proposed diesel tax increases have not gone ahead so far.  Instead using LEZ and ULEZ zones to externally tax diesels in specific areas.

The tax on all cars under £40k, petrol and diesel, registered from April 1st 2017 is now a flat rate of £155.  So no saving for buying diesels or puny petrols any more!

Cheaper than the MK2 1.6 so not fussed lol

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm a DSG fan (fascinated by the way it works, my brain just can't accept the drive of it haha!) but I wouldn't bother with one costing £5-6k...  You'll be looking at a massive bill for the mechatronics unit or clutch pack at some point.

Probably better off with a torque converter auto in that price bracket...not sure if there are many though.  I assume the BMW uses a DSG type box?

BMW (RWD) uses ZF6 (Torque Convertor) at that time

• Like 2

O Ford, what have you been done... how could you abandon someone like me.  After enticing me with my Duratec 2.0L, how could you leave me stranded.

Ah, well, I guess, now it's a question of Audi A3 or a BMW 318/320

Lengthwise :

BMW 1 SERIES    4239
AUDI A3        4292
MY FOCUS    4343
BMW 3         4531

You would be better off with a Skoda rather than BMW/Audi

You could go for a fantastic Ford Focus Mk4 2.0 diesel automatic which possitivly flys, is quiet and does 48.8 MPG just round the doors and about 57 MPG on the motorway.

I might just be being a little bias 🤣

• Like 2

8 hours ago, unofix said:

You could go for a fantastic Ford Focus Mk4 2.0 diesel automatic which possitivly flys, is quiet and does 48.8 MPG just round the doors and about 57 MPG on the motorway.

I might just be being a little bias 🤣

I fancy a Vignale one of these next, I've heard it's very good. You'd recommend it then?

How often have you had to put Adblue in? The 1.5 doesn't use ADblue

Hi Dave, I should have got the Vignale but needed to get new wheels quickly and thought that the Titanium X would be almost as good, but I do miss my reversing camera which today I'm going to try and and fit or at least find out what needs to be done to get the dashboard dismantled, to get to the 54 pin connector.

Yes I'm very pleased with the car, the engine is very good, lots of power and nice and quiet, driving it you don't really notice the fact it's diesel. Only needed to fill the AdBlue tank once when the car had done about 6000 miles. Managed to squeeze in a full 10 litres (Yes I know that was over filling it but didn't want to have the container lying about with just a drop in). I think it is using about 8 litres of AdBlue per 6000 miles but that is just best guess.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club