Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on buying a new Focus

OilSheikh

Better get in quick if you want a Vignale!! :rolleyes: 

Worth trying one before you make the decision though.  The full leathers aren't as comfortable as they look, there's virtually no give in them.  To the point that even idle vibrations are being transmitted right through them.  

The B&O is decent, easily the best sound system I've had in a car...BUT, as with the Mk3, all you can see in the windscreen with even the lightest whisp of sun is the dashboard, making the central dash speaker very irritating, especially with the B&O logo cap right in the centre.

If you go for the 2.0 EcoBlue, you'll get multi-link anyway (unless that's changed recently) so that's not a reason to push to Vignale with that engine.

Obviously swings and roundabouts, just saying that Vignale isn't necessarily as good in reality as it seems on paper.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks.

Yes, Titanium X is on my list too, but I want BLIS and active LED Headlamps these tends to be on Vignales more than TITXs

2.0 Diesel Auto all the way though next.

• Like 2

Ah, fair point, if buying used you may be more restricted for option choice.  BLIS wasn't standard even on the Vignale and I didn't see many with it when I was looking.  Adaptive LEDs became standard on Vignale when 'Edition' was added to the trim level name in 2020.  

• Like 1

Agree 100% with what Tom mentioned about the seats in the Vignale. Too firm. Seats in the ST Line X are spot on a little give but stay firm which was the main reason we changed car from the MK3.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wino said:

Agree 100% with what Tom mentioned about the seats in the Vignale. Too firm. Seats in the ST Line are spot on a little give but stay firm which was the main reason we changed car from the MK3.

I have thought about an ST-Line X, but you know what puts me off about those?

Single tone horn and no LED rear lamps, even when you've paid £1000 for adaptive Headlamps

Plus, these are even harder to find with B&O, BLIS, Conv. Pack, Drv's Pack, HTD Steering wheel, Adaptive LEDS - All optional

At least on a Vignale most of it is standard, you've only really got to search for BLIS cars (Put Reg in ETIS) driver's pack doesn't really matter as you can switch it on with FORscan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Agree 100% with what Tom mentioned about the seats in the Vignale. Too firm. Seats in the ST Line X are spot on a little give but stay firm which was the main reason we changed car from the MK3.

A few people have mentioned this after I bought one...  I don't remember reading it anywhere before though! :laugh: 

I had a Mk2.5 Titanium with full leathers that were lovely, soft and 'plump'...haven't had any others like it since! :sad: 

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

A few people have mentioned this after I bought one...  I don't remember reading it anywhere before though! :laugh: 

I had a Mk2.5 Titanium with full leathers that were lovely, soft and 'plump'...haven't had any others like it since! :sad: 

Perhaps you need a St Line X with Titanium wheels Tom 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Perhaps you need a St Line X with Titanium wheels Tom 🤔

I did briefly have a Mk4 Titanium X in December, but even with comfort suspension and IRS that wasn't suitable.  That was the deciding factor in choosing an Active instead - somehow they didn't add any comfort with a 30mm ride height increase though, still can't work that out myself! :ermm:  The half leather seats in the TX were more comfortable than the Vignale seats though.

Sadly my Ford days are over...I will be going for another VAG car as I need the comfort and refinement far more than handling or styling now.  I'll stay on here for the banter though, I haven't had a daily Ford since mid 2018 anyway! :laugh: 

• Like 2

I've had my Vignale for over 2 years now and have no issues with seats, in fact anyone who gets in comments on how comfortable it is. I guess most of the critics here have only sat in a Vignale or test driven it and not actually owned one

15 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

I've had my Vignale for over 2 years now and have no issues with seats, in fact anyone who gets in comments on how comfortable it is. I guess most of the critics here have only sat in a Vignale or test driven it and not actually owned one

I have the misfortune of owning one...  It's currently for sale if any of your passengers would like to buy it! :whistling: 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I have the misfortune of owning one...  It's currently for sale if any of your passengers would like to buy it!

What's wrong with it?

13 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Good thing you didn’t go for an ST-Line Fiesta, that is seriously firm @TomsFocus!

Lol and I was enjoying driving some twisty roads in mine today and thinking how comfy it was! One man's "firm and well-controlled" will be another's "rock hard" And "smooth and compliant" will be "very queasy" to someone else! Just shows how hard it is to recommend a "comfortable" car to someone else - we all have different likes and dislikes - and different back problems, etc!😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly it's "horses for courses"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

What's wrong with it?

Nothing if you're coming to buy it! :wink:

As others have said, it's horses for courses at the end of the day and I don't want to offend anyone on here!  As you already have a MK4, I doubt it would be much different to that...but in my experience, compared to my knackered old Golf it feels awful.  Everything is choppy and jerky, the ride is firm, the seats are firm, every road imperfection and engine vibration can be felt in the driver's seat, the steering rack is too quick, the suspension manages to wobble side to side and back and forth as well as being too harsh over every bump (how did they manage that!!), the brakes are too sharp, the MHEV charging is too intrusive, the engine mounts are too soft...  

The Golf is just so much smoother in comparison...I feel very isolated from the drive when in the driver's seat, can't feel the engine at idle, road imperfections are soaked up, gear changes are always smooth despite my dodgy clutch control, steering is slow and weighty so it holds a straight line with no input...  Brakes are smooth, lifting off throttle smoothly coasts without regen braking.

Obviously comfort will largely depend on what you've had before, but I am amazed that the luxury spec Focus is so far away from my comfort spec Golf.

I am also aware some of the issues will be specific to the MHEV, and possibly specific to being an Active.

There are also other issues...Sync is really unreliable, slow and keeps crashing, and difficult to find tracks.  The lack of clutch cancel on the cruise is madness, again it makes the drive less smooth.  The rear wiper comes on every time I reverse with wipers on auto setting...on every other car rear wiper only comes on when fronts are detecting rain.  I don't even like the gearknob on the Vignale, it's basically a Mk6 Fiesta/MK2 Focus knob but in black...no longer has a nice ergonomic design. 

In the interest of balance, I do like the digital dash, and it works far better than the Sync does.  I also really like the Autohold and EPB - saves a lot of strain on my arm/wrist.  I do like the keyless entry and start, and having sleepy keys so no worries about theft.  The adaptive LEDs are cool, with the sweeping indicator too.  And the B&O sounds ace, I just wish the dash speaker wasn't constantly visible on the windscreen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

Good thing you didn’t go for an ST-Line Fiesta, that is seriously firm @TomsFocus!

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol and I was enjoying driving some twisty roads in mine today and thinking how comfy it was! One man's "firm and well-controlled" will be another's "rock hard" And "smooth and compliant" will be "very queasy" to someone else! Just shows how hard it is to recommend a "comfortable" car to someone else - we all have different likes and dislikes - and different back problems, etc!😀

I 'follow' quite a few Mk8s on social media...  Mostly young lads, and they complain about the suspension and rattles etc regularly...  Maybe our generation just expect too much from cars now!! :laugh:  

My Mum also likes a firm ride (don't!) and hates the body roll on her partner's car, she's never been in my Golf, prefers rock solid superminis...will be very interesting to see which one of us prefers the Mk8 Golf!! 🤔

7 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Absolutely! I myself don’t find it too bad (I know it is firm but I don’t find it uncomfortable), but my parents always complain when I take them out in it.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I 'follow' quite a few Mk8s on social media...  Mostly young lads, and they complain about the suspension and rattles etc regularly...  Maybe our generation just expect too much from cars now!! :laugh:  

My Mum also likes a firm ride (don't!) and hates the body roll on her partner's car, she's never been in my Golf, prefers rock solid superminis...will be very interesting to see which one of us prefers the Mk8 Golf!! 🤔

I haven’t had any rattles in mine yet! My Mum is the total opposite, hence she drives a MK4.5 Tit X Mondeo 😂

• Haha 1

The rear wiper on reverse is controlled by a setting in the menus.

Yes, I know that's the least of your worries.  🤗

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The lack of clutch cancel on the cruise is madness, again it makes the drive less smooth. 

That's a fault, mine cancels on the clutch

13 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

No fault. 

From a certain production date Ford introduced some changes to the Cruise Control system. On the latest vehicles the Cruise Control remains active when the clutch pedal is pressed.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Mine too - brake, clutch or button on steering wheel to cancel, button on steering wheel to reengage

2 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

The rear wiper on reverse is controlled by a setting in the menus.

Yes, I know that's the least of your worries.  🤗

Ah, I must have missed that.  What are the options?  Struggling to see the point of a default 'scrape a dry screen regardless of sensor input' setting! :biggrin: 

34 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

No fault. 

From a certain production date Ford introduced some changes to the Cruise Control system. On the latest vehicles the Cruise Control remains active when the clutch pedal is pressed.

Any idea why?  I assume it's so you can drop a gear for hills, but I live in the flattest part of the UK where has no relevance at all...  On the short hills we do have locally, the regen braking keeps the car from over-speeding downhill anyway.  Is it an adjustable option within Forscan?

My take on this is that Ford just want to give us all something to talk about and keep this forum busy every time they change something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2021 at 7:49 PM, TomsFocus said:

Everything is choppy and jerky, the ride is firm, the seats are firm, every road imperfection and engine vibration can be felt in the driver's seat, the steering rack is too quick, the suspension manages to wobble side to side and back and forth as well as being too harsh over every bump (how did they manage that!!), the brakes are too sharp, the MHEV charging is too intrusive, the engine mounts are too soft...  

Tis always hard to buy without a test drive. From my perspective; the roads are dreadful around me and the car doesn't completely soak up the bumps but on 18's it's amazing compared to my old car on 17's. Multi-link suspension well worth it. Steering is fantastic - drove a 2019 Focus and 2 yrs later Ford have completely sorted the steering. The 2019 model was far too light. No side-side wobble but it's not 30mm higher like the Active. Was worried abt the harshness of the regen braking I had heard reports of but cannot even tell it is doing regen. So a 2021 built Focus is a great car, imo.

Wouldn't buy this one tho..................

viganium.jpg

• Like 1

Me, on the other hand, prefer to "feel" the car . I love how you can "conect" with a focus . No other car gives you that feeling .

Hate the filtred suspensions and steering wheel of germans and french cars , although i recon that ford interiors are crap ...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club