Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Sifting Gears Fast Damage a Manual Transmission

Hi Guys,

I have made it a habit of switching gears quickly (racing driver style) in my manual transmission ford fiesta.

Will this damage my transmission over time?

It shouldn't as long as you actually use the clutch whilst shifting

• Like 1

If you’re going to change gear without using the clutch, do it for a good cause.  I’ll probably get some flack for this, but it’s not a bad idea to find somewhere deserted to practice changing gear without using the clutch, an airfield perhaps?  I’ve had clutch cables break (good old days) and more recently, had the ***** ridiculous plastic actuating pushrod on the pedal breaking (5th gen Fiesta).  It’s an acquired skill, but one worth knowing.  If you did find an airfield, you could practice your wizzy Nigel gear changes there too.😁

FordFault002.jpg

• Like 1

Really? Do you double declutch? If so Why? This ordinary family hatchback has a perfectly good synchromesh gearbox so I doubt if you are getting any benefit but if you are driving it like a racing car, then you will soon break something. Today's racing drivers change gear completely differently, by the way.

• Like 1

Not sure but I think potblack was just talking about just changin up fast rather than double declutching.  Might be wrong though.

"Racing driver style?" Does Potblack have the slightest idea what  racing driver style is? Smoothest is fastest. Gentlest is the best way to finish and breaking gearboxes ain't it.

Competition driving is a learned skill, best learned from somebody at race school. It isn't like road driving. Still as long as you don't kill me or mine, drive how you like. You will anyway but remember just this:

It isn't how fast you drive; it's how you drive fast.

• Like 2

I once drove a Granada from Mablethorpe to Nottingham with no clutch. It's not difficult if you can match the speeds.  I did learn to drive on a car with no synchro though.  Not something I'd recommend though.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bobr said:

I once drove a Granada from Mablethorpe to Nottingham with no clutch. It's not difficult if you can match the speeds.  I did learn to drive on a car with no synchro though.  Not something I'd recommend though.

not too mention in the ford gearboxes the synchros are easily chewed up and destroyed

10 hours ago, Bobr said:

I once drove a Granada from Mablethorpe to Nottingham with no clutch. It's not difficult if you can match the speeds.

Bob, actually you just reminded me, most of my clutchless practicing was done on my MK1 Fiesta who's synchro in 3rd was stuffed.  I knew I'd be swapping a different box in anyway, so had nothing to lose by trying it out.  Skills came in handy later though when, like you, I've needed to get the car home to sort it out.

Haha, just had a little chuckle..... Racing Driver Styleee. 😆

As long as it doesn't crunch you're not causing any excess damage...  If it does crunch, your pride will be hurt more than your wallet. :biggrin: 

• Like 3

I don't use the clutch for upshifts form 3rd to 4th up. Never have done. Once the engine is at the correct revs it just slips in.

Or even downshifts from 6th to 5th or 4th, just rev match

Ahhha, you see, surprising what secrets a man and his car keep.  My dirty secret..  Approaching red lights on my bike slowing down, I used to get down to second, match revs, light tap down on the left foot for neutral, then a tiny coast to a halt with no clutch involved.  Inordinately satisfying (sad bas****).

🏍️

On 4/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, Marineboy said:

Not sure but I think potblack was just talking about just changin up fast rather than double declutching.  Might be wrong though.

Yes upshifting gears 

Oh, so nothing like a racing driver then. Boy racer wannabe style.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club