Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Fiesta - gear stick vibration

Snookie12cat

Hi all,

I just bought a second hand 2018 plate Fiesta with 10k miles. It's all great, but I have noticed the gear stick making a vibrating sound when I accelerate. Just at the point where I would change up gears, it kicks in and if I change up it's gone. If I put my hand on the gear stick also, it stops the vibration/knocking sound.

It only seems to do it in 3rd and 4th gear. 

Is this normal or should I get the garage to check it over? 

Thanks 

Mine is a 2018 build with similar mileage and doesn't do this, if you have only just got it, i would suggest them looking at it, i assume they've offered some short warranty period after purchase as they quite often do, so might be worthwhile a look.

• Like 1

I’ve got a 2018 EcoBoost with 15,000 miles and all good. I’ve read on here in the past about vibrations in 1st, 3rd and 5th (I think) and it’s down to a weight on the linkage ( to give a more quality feel ) vibrating against something. If you’re still under warranty get it booked in with Ford to be fixed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Da9L said:

Is it like this ? 

https://youtu.be/YOt0bwS3CLI

I'm not 💯 as no sound on that. I'm used to it vibrating at high speed but never had the knocking sound that accompanies it in those lower gears before on my previous Fiesta.

12 hours ago, Tom44 said:

Mine is a 2018 build with similar mileage and doesn't do this, if you have only just got it, i would suggest them looking at it, i assume they've offered some short warranty period after purchase as they quite often do, so might be worthwhile a look.

Thanks. Yeah, only got it on Saturday so 3 months to take it back. I'll go out again today and get a more detailed description, maybe a video and I'll give them a call. 

17 hours ago, Tom44 said:

Thanks. I can't seem to recreate it now 🤣 how annoying.

Hopefully it's gone and doesn't come back. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 11:30 PM, Da9L said:

Is it like this ? 

https://youtu.be/YOt0bwS3CLI

Hello, I have the exact same issue on my 2019 Fiesta.

The dealer tried to convince me that it was normal because of the 3 cylinders. After my insistence they replaced the gear selector cable and something else I can't remember and the problem was solved.
Now after a few months the problem is back but I still only feel it in first gear going uphill.

Has anyone experienced the same and knows definitive solutions?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 6:57 PM, Snookie12cat said:

Hi all,

I just bought a second hand 2018 plate Fiesta with 10k miles. It's all great, but I have noticed the gear stick making a vibrating sound when I accelerate. Just at the point where I would change up gears, it kicks in and if I change up it's gone. If I put my hand on the gear stick also, it stops the vibration/knocking sound.

It only seems to do it in 3rd and 4th gear. 

Is this normal or should I get the garage to check it over? 

Thanks 

Hi there,

I’ve got a Fiesta MK8 ST-Line from December ‘17 and I’ve got the same problem. I also hear the sound from first gear while accelerating. It’s really annoying and Ford already had a look at it. They said it was because of the number plate loosening up…right. Well the problem is still there and I’ll drop by Ford soon. I still have warranty luckily.