Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mileage fraud??

Dan12345610101

Hi guys. 

I  was wondering whether my car’s mileage is genuine or whether the car’s mileage has been rolled back. 

It’s a late 2005 fiesta with 73000 miles, which sounds very low for a 15 year old car. The car doesn’t really have any problems. It drives decent. But I wanted to check out of curiosity..

is there such a tool to detect mileage roll back?? How would someone detect mileage fraud apart from body work age etc. 

thanks

73k isn't that low. I've seen plenty of 15 year old cars with lower mileage.

The best way to check is by going through the MOT history and make sure the mileage goes up each test. It's pretty unlikely someone has gone to the effort of clocking it every year before it's MOT, especially as it's not exactly a special car that will hold it's value. It's pretty hard to do now everything's electric anyway.

• Like 1

The true mileage is also permanently recorded in some of the Modules. If you have FORScan you can normally check it it the vehicle profile, but It might not necessarily work on a 2005 car, I haven't tried it on a car of that age. 

• Like 1

In the UK for about the last 20 years or more we have the 'NMR' National Mileage Register.

Every time a car goes in to a garage for service, MOT, repair work, new tyres etc etc the garage makes a note of the mileage and it is uploaded to NMR. Small garages of course don't normally do this but main dealers do and companies like Kwik Fit do.

Its not a fool proof system but it makes turning back a cars mileage a lot more difficult. Also as the current owner you can go back through the Cars old MOT's.

The days of winding back the cars mileage by tens of thousands of miles are very few now because it would be easy to get caught out. Sure you could knock off 3 or 4 thousand each year and it would probably not be noticed but that would mean the same owner having to "clock" the car every year. Which is not impossible but just unlikely

• Like 1

Right ok thanks for your replies. I’ve done a bit of digging and the car was owned by a lady who is 93. She owed it for the past 7 years. That’s good to know. There isn’t any mileage discrepancy on the mot history and I have just done a check on the car from HiP and it came clear on mileage discrepancy. 

thanks for your suggestions. One more thing. I have had to replace the exhaust box and I got an aftermarket fitted for £130. Labour and parts included. It was a local dealer. Have I been ripped off?

thanks

1 hour ago, Dan12345610101 said:

I have just done a check on the car from HiP and it came clear on mileage discrepancy. 

thanks for your suggestions. One more thing. I have had to replace the exhaust box and I got an aftermarket fitted for £130. Labour and parts included. It was a local dealer. Have I been ripped off?

You're supposed to check the mileage and do a HPI before you buy the car, but whatever.

£130 sounds good for a back box, who knows what the quality of the exhaust is though.

• Like 1

I did run a basic hip check on the car but didn’t worry too much on mileage as the car was only £800. So I didn’t think much of it. 

the box looks pretty cheap. I’m 100% sure it’s new so that’s good lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club