Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Change in engine noise after a few minutes of idling (question)

leohopkins

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and also a new owner of a Ford Focus.  I have a Ford Focus Mk3 2015 1.0L ecoboost 125ps.

Two questions in one, as they may (or may not) be related...

A query I have, as the car I bought is obviously second hand.  After switching the engine on and I'm idling for a few minutes, after a minute or two I can hear the engine noise change, almost like it's idling down, if that makes any sense.  Is this normal?

Secondly, is there any way of getting more power out of it in first gear? - the reason I ask is, shortly after setting off from my home, I need to go up-hill.  Putting my foot down in first will only take me so far and then changing up to 2nd and the car will slow down, even with my foot down, almost like it's coming to a stall, so downshifting back to first again is the only option. Has anyone else come across this before?

When you first switch on a lot of cars idle faster typically 1200 rpm then when warmed up,a bit the drop to 800-1000, as to your gear you can't just increase power in the one gear and if it's a steep hill staying in first sounds like the right gear.

• Like 3

Thank you, so nothing to worry about then, which I'm pleased about 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 11:27 AM, leohopkins said:

Secondly, is there any way of getting more power out of it in first gear?

No... 😁 Welcome to the forum.

You could get a remap tbf...that should give you more torque in all gears.  

I am guessing this is his first ever car, judging by him not being aware that a cold engine (on most cars) will idle faster until it warms up. I'm also guessing his insurance company won't be sympathetic to any engine modifications. (I know, I assume alot LOL). I also assumed he was wondering if there was some built in 'boost' button, a la James Bond, where you flipped open the gear knob to find a 'press here for more power' button 🤣

• Haha 2

Hi Leo and welcome to the Ford Owners Club.

As the guys have said already nothing to worry about and just take it easy going up the hill in first gear. Try not to take the rev counter to the limit !

I should advise you to amend your profile ASAP and remove your e-mail address before you get spammed to death with junk.

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I am guessing this is his first ever car, judging by him not being aware that a cold engine (on most cars) will idle faster until it warms up. I'm also guessing his insurance company won't be sympathetic to any engine modifications. (I know, I assume alot LOL). I also assumed he was wondering if there was some built in 'boost' button, a la James Bond, where you flipped open the gear knob to find a 'press here for more power' button 🤣

If that's the case, he probably learnt to drive in a diesel....  Pulling uphill in 4th at 30mph...  It's best just to avoid any uphill stretches in a 1.0EB Focus...  :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

There is.....its called " Sport mode" 🤣

You could always fit an actual short shifter to the car, if you want quicker gear changes.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club