Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ordered the pumpkin radios for the Focus

Slowly
聽Share

Well, I fell into the trap when I went to look at the car and buy it,聽of stupidly thinking the green and red telephone buttons on the factory radio might somehow suggest the car had telephone connectivity. What a fool to make this idiotic assumption.....馃檮

Probably not a bad thing really as I need a sat nav anyway and there is nothing tackier than a phone held on the dash with blu-tac.聽

And so it is after a couple of days of research I have ordered the pumpkin and decided to go for the one in the link below and have the camera too. If the camera is pants, ill get an OEM and make it work. Im a radio Ham so electronics are not an issue.聽

Not much info out there on youtube or elsewhere. There is a German chap with an ST and thats about it as far as I can see.聽

If it pleases the room, I will do a full report on the unit as delivered and any challenges I face.聽

Al

https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/collections/ford-head-unit-with-sat-nav/products/pumpkin-ford-android-10-car-stereo-with-camera

The 1s boot time is a blatant lie, that is the boot time if there's still power in the unit (i.e about 30 seconds after you've switched the ignition off).

You generally want a unit with as much RAM and CPU cores as you can find. I went for an octa-core with 4gb聽RAM (or 8gb, I can't remember now) and it can sometimes struggle if I have DAB in the background and Google maps on the screen.

For the maps to work you'll need a data sim card with some sort of credit/monthly contract so you can access the internet.

In terms of mounting your phone, I have one of聽these magnetic holders that sits on the air vent.

Interesting, that lie was a big seller for me....... grrrrrrr,聽extra capacitance may be in order. I鈥檒l have a look inside if the delay is too much.聽
thanks for heads up on the performance, I suppose I鈥檝e made my bed now and will have to see how I go.聽
im not a dab fan and I don鈥檛 think it will ever lead to the switch off of FM. Ofcom have granted another 10 years of fm broadcast licence time recently and I hear they are going to scrap DAB in Ireland next year.聽

I鈥檒l post the outcome when I get it.聽

I鈥檒l take a look at the magnet thing.

cheers聽

Al

The problem with DAB is they have to lower bitrate as they cram too many stations in. The BBC stations are the only ones to use a high bitrate.

Mine takes about 30-40 seconds to come on. It's not that big of a deal tbh as you shouldn't be setting聽before聽this amount of time anyway, as you should be letting the oil circulate/warm up a little.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

The 1s boot time is a blatant lie, that is the boot time if there's still power in the unit (i.e about 30 seconds after you've switched the ignition off).

You generally want a unit with as much RAM and CPU cores as you can find. I went for an octa-core with 4gb聽RAM (or 8gb, I can't remember now) and it can sometimes struggle if I have DAB in the background and Google maps on the screen.

For the maps to work you'll need a data sim card with some sort of credit/monthly contract so you can access the internet.

In terms of mounting your phone, I have one of聽these magnetic holders that sits on the air vent.

Thanks again for the magnet link.聽
ordered a 2 pack on prime for delivery tomorrow.聽
cheers聽

That stereo is a ripoff tbh

拢280 for a quadcore + 2gb ram?

I highly suggest getting a PX6 (processor) Stereo. those are the best ones due to 6core and 4gb ram

I have a PX6 stereo in my focus 2014 and honestly best android stereo i've ever purchased. Everything loads super quick. Satnav instantly loads and no lag.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000188812589.html

PX6 > PX5 > PX30

Something like this would be awesome for you.

idk which air controls you have but

I would suggest PX6 4G64DSP-AV-720-B or PX6 4G64DSP-AV-720-A depending on your air controls.

you get canbus adapter with it and it fits naturally in your car.

I did do a quick rough review on it for my focus mk3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMWg7MTKnK5GehVxMkgVqGIdekOjpUIoC32LKHW76n4tUY5g9VEfsM5vakTl2e69w/photo/AF1QipN87JvnYaL9rErh_6oArwctDLLYa2H6cwoOjsh9?key=V3dDalNjN01YamxjdUttTlVhY2RLYXgwa2FnY1FR

It's going to be the same experience for you due to it's the same processor with same specs.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Slowly said:

Probably not a bad thing really as I need a sat nav anyway and there is nothing tackier than a phone held on the dash with blu-tac.聽

Now fella, you just hurt my feelings 馃ぃ I have a 'stuck on' DAB converter, a 'stuck on' TPMS monitor, a 'stuck on' SatNav, and a 'stuck on' phone grill holder!

173285519_stuckon.thumb.jpg.ff74c6c1f60e7a4a6f4593817c34252e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Now fella, you just hurt my feelings 馃ぃ I have a 'stuck on' DAB converter, a 'stuck on' TPMS monitor, a 'stuck on' SatNav, and a 'stuck on' phone grill holder!

That's proper tacky. I have a built in sat nav but still use my phone on a holder instead, it makes it look more like a space ship.

20 hours ago, Rowan112 said:

That stereo is a ripoff tbh

拢280 for a quadcore + 2gb ram?

I highly suggest getting a PX6 (processor) Stereo. those are the best ones due to 6core and 4gb ram

I have a PX6 stereo in my focus 2014 and honestly best android stereo i've ever purchased. Everything loads super quick. Satnav instantly loads and no lag.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000188812589.html

PX6 > PX5 > PX30

Something like this would be awesome for you.

idk which air controls you have but

I would suggest PX6 4G64DSP-AV-720-B or PX6 4G64DSP-AV-720-A depending on your air controls.

you get canbus adapter with it and it fits naturally in your car.

I did do a quick rough review on it for my focus mk3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMWg7MTKnK5GehVxMkgVqGIdekOjpUIoC32LKHW76n4tUY5g9VEfsM5vakTl2e69w/photo/AF1QipN87JvnYaL9rErh_6oArwctDLLYa2H6cwoOjsh9?key=V3dDalNjN01YamxjdUttTlVhY2RLYXgwa2FnY1FR

It's going to be the same experience for you due to it's the same processor with same specs.

Hi there 馃槉

Thanks for that, I've watched your video. Looks great.聽

Probably I should have sought counsel here before ordering the pumpkin.聽

However, it's on the way so I'll soon know for sure.

Is it a rip-off... ? thats a bit difficult to know until I've seen it.聽The ones like yours seem to come attached to a fascia and none of them dared to show the back of the unit. Therefore, given that the pumpkin actually dares to show its a-r-s-e, I thought it worth a punt. It also comes with all that is required included for a plug and play install. I for sure wouldn't want something light enough to be part of the facia...that cannot be conducive with quality sounds.聽

I'm also very old indeed, I get my pension in under 18 years and I have a propensity to spin a disk now and then so the CD was a must-have..I've got a galaxy note 10+ 5G聽 with zero music on it.聽

The facia mounted units i researched also just seemed too cheap to be worth considering 馃. Happy to be wrong here but I have nothing to compare with..

So there it is, the unit is on the way and soon I will know if it was a rip off.聽

I can always send it back if it should prove necessary.

Many thanks for your input 馃憤

Cheers

Al

5 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Kwaliteee mate,聽

Nowt rong wi that 馃榾 as we say in't north.聽

As long as the fluffy dice are free-hanging and not stuck down,聽 we iz gigglin.

Cheers

Al

2 minutes ago, Slowly said:

Blimey, lot of gear for the money there. You should do a review on it, I鈥檓 sure other owners would find it interesting 馃

Odd with all the bells & whistles it still doesn't have DAB...

18 minutes ago, Rowan112 said:

issue with it is you get only 1gb ram, you will be very limited on what you can do and it's not very fast.
with android units, you pay cheap you get cheap.

I concur, Thats the reason I went for the more expensive option. I tend to always avoid low cost stuff as it is generally low cost for a reason. Still, if the unit in the mega-link works for the owner then great. I deffo wanted the CD player and none of these facia mounted units provide such ancient technology as far as I can determine. Mine is out for delivery today with parcel force so the verdict will be in soon on the pumpkin.聽

59 minutes ago, Rowan112 said:

issue with it is you get only 1gb ram, you will be very limited on what you can do and it's not very fast.
with android units, you pay cheap you get cheap.

The issue is that it doesn't even get DAB radio, standard in most cars for the last decade... How can you drive without listening to TalkRadio?? LOL

38 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

The issue is that it doesn't even get DAB radio, standard in most cars for the last decade... How can you drive without listening to TalkRadio?? LOL

Yes, I suppose that is a bit poor for a radio these days. Bit like having a steam engine under the bonnet!聽

I notice that 5 live is also DAB only

I researched and the pumpkin thing can have DAB, just needs this adding.聽

Normal size聽link alert 馃檪

https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/collections/dab/products/external-dab-digital-radio-tuner

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Slowly said:

Yes, I suppose that is a bit poor for a radio these days. Bit like having a steam engine under the bonnet!聽

https://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/collections/dab/products/external-dab-digital-radio-tuner

Crikey, that's 拢60 + P&P. My NextBase DAB converter cost 拢25 all in LOL

13 minutes ago, Slowly said:

You'd need this聽https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BBGHL6Q?psc=1

only cost me 拢35 and it's better than ordering on eBay due to amazon return policy.

Do you know if your aerial supports DAB? if so you can wire into your aerial instead of using the crappy included one that goes on the windscreen

Well,聽

Arrived, installed, all works perfectly...including the controls on the steering column..fitting was as simple as putting a hat on ones head..

I'll leave the fascia off and install the camera tomorrow.聽

Sound is tip-top, call quality with the included external mic is as good as my daily drivers, both 70 reg vehicles with top spec factory audio systems..

I'm happy so far. Will do a full review very soon.聽

16191955844846001774457172488807.jpg

20210423_172726.jpg

20210423_155840.jpg

20210423_155511.jpg

20210423_155707.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Come with blu tac ?聽

None in the box 馃摝馃槙 bit of a let down

Grrrrr

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, StephenFord said:

Odd with all the bells & whistles it still doesn't have DAB...

You can get the DAB adapter for the unit I have really cheap, to be honest I am not that fussed about DAB.聽

On 4/23/2021 at 7:26 AM, Slowly said:

Blimey, lot of gear for the money there. You should do a review on it, I鈥檓 sure other owners would find it interesting 馃

Will maybe do a review of it, it does what I need it to at the moment.聽

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club